Source for gauges

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Source for gauges

Post by pschauss »

It looks like I may have to replace some of the gauges on my lower control station. Where is the best place to buy gauges which will fit the original console and be compatible with the sensors on my Mercruisers?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Wholelife

Re: Source for gauges

Post by Wholelife »

Peter, just pulled my Volvo's out of my 25 moppie to put a bracket on. I sold the motors and outdrives but buyer did not want gauges. Gauges were brand new five years ago and have very little use. Faria is the brand I believe. Yours if you want them for a donation to the site. Or if you would like a picture, email me and I will send. Tach, temp, oil pressure.
Jenks Mikell, III
IRENE
'62 25 Moppie
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

See that?

First post, and already giving stuff away for a donation.

Bravo, and welcome!
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Careful Mike, you have a reputation to protect...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rocket wrote:Careful Mike, you have a reputation to protect...
Old Age is setting in. Mike must be getting forgetful. He forgot that he heads up the Mean Team.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I must be getting old.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Dan Paton

Post by Dan Paton »

I just replaced the flybridge gauges on my 1972 25. The original were SW gauges and I replaced them with SW gauges from Summit Racing. The boat has twin 3.0 L Mercruisers.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Peter,
Your gauges are Stewart Waner with chrome metal bezels, which are still available from the larger supply houses like Defender, Lewis Marine or Johnstown Supply. When you order them make sure you ask for the classic black faces with the chrome metal bezels. Some of the gauges on the market have chrome plated plastic bezels which after a few years start to flake off. They are compatible with Mercruiser engines and senders. Sometimes you have to set the dip switches on the back of the tach's from either 4 6 or in your case 8 cylinders. I am glad you decided to keep the boat, it's hard to find a boat like yours that handles the Buzzards Bay afternoon slop for less that the cost of a condo on the Cape. The new 35 is 750K for just 4 more feet, granted it's a beautiful upgrade for a 31. Still struggling with my knee and I had to resign from SAMS because I cannot climb a ladder any more. Hopefully the doctor in Baltimore can do something with it in the next few months.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Pete,

Thanks for that information. Do you know who made the tachs on these boats? They say "AC" on the front which I assume means AC/Delco.

Also, how difficult is it to get at the back side of the instrument panel to remove, replace, reconnect the gauges? I will, eventually, be replacing the gauges on both the upper and lower stations. Were both of panels made the same way?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

When I wire up the new gauges should I use an anti-oxidizing compound like Penetrox on the ring connectors? If so, which type? They list several different types depending on what metals are being joined

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou