DC Grounding to Engine Block

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

DC Grounding to Engine Block

Post by JohnV8r »

Guys,

I have built a custom battery box and am in the process of installing it between the engines to dampen roll per Capt Patrick's building tips. The battery box contains four Group 31 batteries that comprise two battery banks. I have discovered that the original DC wiring includes one grounding wire from the batteries on the outside/gunnel side of each engine and a single grounding wire on the inside/companionway of each engine that connects the engine blocks together. Since I am moving the batteries between the engines, I would prefer to connect the grounding wire from the two batteries to each engine block on the inside/companionway side of the engine blocks near where the grounding wire that connects the two engine blocks together connects to each engine block.

My question: Is there any reason why I should not have the ground connections near each other on the inside/companionway side of the engine block or do I need to keep the ground from the batteries connected to the original outside position on the engine blocks.

Thanks in advance.

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Stephan

Re: DC Grounding to Engine Block

Post by Stephan »

John-
I made the same battery move 2 seasons ago.
My grounds ran to the Port sides of the engines (inboard side of the Starboard engine and outboard side of the Port Engine - Crusader 454s). I stayed with those grounding points. I do not believe there would have been any difference if I had moved the Port engine's grounding point to the inside.
Good luck-
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

A big hunk 'o iron is a big hunk 'o iron. Ground it anywhere that isn't isolated from the rest of the engine by a piece 'o rubber. Make sure that your new location is clean and free of paint. Wire brush, sandpaper, brake cleaner. Use a good marine electrical grease on your newly exposed hunk 'o iron, so it doesn't corrode. NO-OX-ID A-SPECIAL Electrical Grade is a good one.

https://www.amazon.com/NO-OX-ID-Special ... s=NO-OX-ID

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Thanks Mike! I just ordered the grease.
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built