Helm Seat Options for Double Bogie

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mizerita

Helm Seat Options for Double Bogie

Post by Mizerita »

I've got Yachting Solutions looking into options for replacing the bench seat on the bridge. I'm aware of the the width limitations of having seating for 3 on the bridge, but quite frankly I like the look of 3 ladder backs...so trying to see if there are any options. My thoughts would be:

1. Bench Seat (similar to 1st picture below) with three ladder backs - starboard back would fold down. Could be made with middle seat having arms.

2. 3 helm seats - traditional helm seat with arms at 24 inches wide and two 16 inch "armless" helm seats on either side. Pedestals would be cut accordingly but worried about weight.

Would love any thoughts, pros and cons on each set up. If anyone has done a 3 chair set up, send pics.

moguls2go

Re: Helm Seat Options for Double Bogie

Post by moguls2go »

Steve,

You mentioned you were on Lara- I really liked the bridge setup on that boat. I agree three chairs looks the best, but I get tired of climbing over a seat every time. I suppose it goes back how you’ll use it; if you’ll be camped out on the bridge trolling, three seats wouldn’t be a big deal. One other consideration is legroom... I’m tall enough that I need to stand up every now and then to stretch my legs. It might be interesting to have a seat designed that slides fore and aft.
Max
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I was on Lara as well----they set the bench seat bact and made more room to run boat standing as well as sitting--it also has the helm pod which also make the boat easier to run standing up.

I have seen two helm chairs mounted on the bridge--never 3---I think it wuld be too tight.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... eat#p95348

Unfortunately the pics do not show up, but try reading through the above thread. Bob Lilco has a two seat set up that that might give you some ideas.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

moguls2go wrote:Steve,

You mentioned you were on Lara- I really liked the bridge setup on that boat. I agree three chairs looks the best, but I get tired of climbing over a seat every time. I suppose it goes back how you’ll use it; if you’ll be camped out on the bridge trolling, three seats wouldn’t be a big deal. One other consideration is legroom... I’m tall enough that I need to stand up every now and then to stretch my legs. It might be interesting to have a seat designed that slides fore and aft.
I agree with Lara's function...lots of legroom and from a fishability standpoint is perfect. I'm thinking the 3 separate seats may not be the best option...I may try to look for a few different bench seat options, but still incorporate the "teak" look.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... tem#p65202

Here is a discussion from when I took Bob Lico's idea and created the helm with two seats, You could do three if you don't mind climbing over over the seats. Doing them in teak and with folding back is easy enough But in that case Id have a base created and not use a pedestal. For certain the chairs won't spin.

The real key to move away from the original bench type seat is to move it back and higher then the original spec, that does make it more difficult to climb over. If I had to do it again I would do something similar to your current set up a centered double that can sqeezw a couple kids. But I would look at seats with a fold up bolster to provide some support while standing
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

By the way, I was able to reach out to the broker on Lady Marion and he's trying to find out the manufacturer of the seat. He did send me a few more pictures (below). Anyone know these seats or similar?

John F.

Post by John F. »

If you find out the manufacturer of the seats, please post it up. I really like those
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

That logo looks familiar. I like those seats also. Looks like a good option.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Lars

Post by Lars »

They look like standard run-of-the-mill seats with a teak ladder added to the backs at a later stage?

Carl

Post by Carl »

Lars wrote:They look like standard run-of-the-mill seats with a teak ladder added to the backs at a later stage?

Ding ding ding...we have a winner. They are "Wise" fold down seats.

https://wiseseats.com/collections/fold-down-seats
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Couple that with a set of adjustable slides, and an adjustable stanchion, you have a great option.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

A good looking creative solution.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve,

I had my bench fabricated by my aluminum guys. I am guessing you are not big on metal vs. wood and I get it, but I have a mini bench that seats three comfortably (or my dog) and I can walk around my bridge. Its a good set up in my mind.

Otherwise you could always call Release Marine and see if they would work with you on crafting what you want in exquisite quality.

Worth a try!

Best,

Dug
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

Dug wrote:Steve,

I had my bench fabricated by my aluminum guys. I am guessing you are not big on metal vs. wood and I get it, but I have a mini bench that seats three comfortably (or my dog) and I can walk around my bridge. Its a good set up in my mind.

Otherwise you could always call Release Marine and see if they would work with you on crafting what you want in exquisite quality.

Worth a try!

Best,

Dug
I have a few quotes out for custom work. My thought was a bench seat and 3 adjustable seats. The bench would allow storage (vs 3 pedestal seats). I'm certainly not opposed to aluminum but just want the teak ladder back look. I've got a few options and will keep everyone posted. Thanks guys.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Steve,
I apologize, as I was the guy that initially said something about "not being in love with the bench" on the other thread.
I hope that didn't put a bug in your head.

After that thread I gotta tell ya, I came across not only a picture of Marlin's bench, which is similar on Wahoo, but also a number of classic Sportfish boats from back in the day. ie Rybovich, etc.
So after seeing those pics, I understood and appreciated more the thought and work that went into your bench on Double Bogie.

If it were me, I'd leave it for a while. If you yank it out of there, and toss it, I'll put it in my office!! LOL
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

SteveM wrote:Steve,
I apologize, as I was the guy that initially said something about "not being in love with the bench" on the other thread.
I hope that didn't put a bug in your head.

After that thread I gotta tell ya, I came across not only a picture of Marlin's bench, which is similar on Wahoo, but also a number of classic Sportfish boats from back in the day. ie Rybovich, etc.
So after seeing those pics, I understood and appreciated more the thought and work that went into your bench on Double Bogie.

If it were me, I'd leave it for a while. If you yank it out of there, and toss it, I'll put it in my office!! LOL
No worries on the comment Steve, I wasn't in love with the bench seat from the beginning. It works for what it is and they actually put some money into it, but I'll most likely replace it. However, the bench seat aft in the cockpit is pretty functional for "cruising" around the waters of Key West. Carl sent a link to the exact seat on Lady Marion...looks like they bought a Wise marine seat, added a teak ladder back, and mounted it to a custom bench...pretty simple weekend project.
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

I had Release Marine build me a double helm that shared a center arm rest which was a mod off Bob Licos idea. Its got double 3 slat ladder backs on 2 stainless pedestals with slides. I measured out the 31 bridge and had it custom built to fit it. Were almost done with my boat, after 6 years, and set it up on the bridge 2 weeks ago. It fit perfectly, just as planned, and if my boat were being built for cruising it would be bolted up now. My boats is going to be dedicated 100% for offshore and not being able to swivel and with the extra room the 2nd seat took up I felt it would limit access getting back to the rocket launcher quickly. I asked Release Marine to swap it out for a single and they were kind enough to take it back and build a new one for me. It would be a perfect fit for your boat and I can put you directly in touch with the right person at Release if you are interested. I couldn't upload pics just now but I can email some if you would like.
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

Lars

Post by Lars »

Ooohh, that’s nice!..
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Bob---any pics of your 6 year build to share-?
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

Should have some soon. Pod, controls and dek-king decks going on now. Hardtop, chairs and riggers all going on in the next couple months. I'll get some shots when it comes out of the shop and we put on the top on. It's coming along nice (and slow).
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

BOBMX wrote:Should have some soon. Pod, controls and dek-king decks going on now. Hardtop, chairs and riggers all going on in the next couple months. I'll get some shots when it comes out of the shop and we put on the top on. It's coming along nice (and slow).
Bob,

Would to hear where you are with your build, and more importantly see some pictures.

Pete
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob,

Would love an update on your project.

Pete
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i would suggest we compile a spreadsheet with our boating needs and the way we use our boats with comfort the first concern.We should sit on our favorite arm- chair at home and take notice that our thighs are parallel with the floor not like the pro basketball players sitting on sideline with their thighs at a 45 degree angle like the Bertram bench seat so that option will not be considered along with you look like a little old lady looking thru the center of the steering wheel while driving with no idea what is directly in front of car in this case boat.not to be redundant but i find it pretty much ridiculous standing on the bridge with comfortable seats just below you. the only time you stand is to look backwards to dock the boat or back down on fish.so you will need leg room between the front of the seat and dashboard to stand and look backward with the gears/throttles at your fingertips.the next factor is my personal opinion that is why i mention spreadsheet. i spent five or more hours on that bridge while fishing so i must consider every detail of our bench seating. i have removed my ladder from bridge and replaced with one large step on Gin pole so i can jump on bridge in seconds while a reel is spooling with Big Eye or Bluefin tuna running or a mako on the run so a obstacle like a third seat is out of the question besides i DON`T want others on the bridge with me other than my son whom also pilots the boat and as well as watching for markings on sonar.i want to sit down with feet flat on the floor,Thank God we have a low bridge so we don`t need foot-rest like the 38' Bertram seats.must sit down with feet on floor and see the Bertram chock on the bow and 180 degrees of vision while sitting in addition to jump off the bridge to gaff/harpoon tuna.Note i want a metal platform to put seats on for many reasons number one to put the ditch bag in the most accessible place on the boat (under my ass) number two it allows me to install a shock absorber system under seats and hidden wires for heated seats . the use of pedestals would nulify all of the above.the seats hinge forward by pulling a safety axle the clean under seat.this is all made by Garalick and not expensive.so in closing i would bring a couple of milk boxes and 2x8" on bridge a get yourself perfectly seated then take mesurements before purchasing any seats.my seats look very much like the ladder back Release Marine seats made for the new 61 Bertram ,needless to say hand carving the sides take time as well as quartergrain ladder back slats.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

acr ditch bag is perfect tight fit under platform.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you must be able to stand up and turn around without your legs hitting the seats or the pod with controls at your fingertip for backing down on fish or docking the boat. (old photo)

capt.bob lico
bero13010473