Mr. Cool heat exchangers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Mr. Cool heat exchangers

Post by Tony Meola »

I need to change one of my transmission coolers. I came across Mr. Cool's website. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with his coolers or heat exchsngers.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Charlie J

Re: Mr. Cool heat exchangers

Post by Charlie J »

https://lencoheatexchangers.com/
tony I have used lenco in the past
very good
1968 hull # 316 - 757
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Morning Gentlemen,for what it’s worth. As I said in a previous subject I pull my Cummins 5.9 BTA 270 HP out of the boat for some much needed TLC @ 4000hrs. Hydrostatically tested both heat exchangers and they failed. Was going to purchase after market H/E but found out and was told by two different Cummins Tech’s they won’t last. $700 vs.$1600. One is copper shell Cummins is Copper Nickel. Other parts also needed replacement, 5” stainless exhaust elbow, port, both drive couplers, rubbers are old,one belt tensioner, doing both, all hoses. I guess what I’m trying to say is although the after market items WILL work, there longevity will not be the same,or so I’m told. We go to far Offshore fishing, in our short season to be worrying about a casualty. Then out of Commission for a repair. Just my thoughts. Good Luck!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tony,
Too new to have used but according to the Web site they provide oem products at a discount.

Now given the used car salesman nomenclature that is the world today that could mean cheap replacement material coolers resembling oem coolers, or original equipment coolers sold discounted rather than go thru oem dealers.
We all know engine manufacturers, mariners and the such don't manufacture every product hung on an engine. I bought many an oem cooler thru my wholesalers rather than thru my manufacturers because the discount structure was better.
They were all made by the same company.

Some are proprietary and thus manufacturers can't provide product to any place other than an oem source so a company finds a place the reproduce them cheaply to beat oem prices.

I'd call Mr cool and find out just what they provide, oem at cheaper prices or cheaper remakes of oem coolers.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce

Thanks

I am looking for a trans cooler that has a zinc in them. The one I had to replace on the starboard engine came from the Cummins dealer but does not have a zinc. I want to replace the port side since I figure that is not be far behind. The Cummins dealer said he only sources what I put on in the fall.

Seaboard marine has them for twice the price. I was trying to locate a sen-dure but no luck.

I will also check on Lenco. Just can not believe Cummins does not put a zinc in them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Early bird

I agree with what you are saying, but it does not look like the Cummins trans cooler uus the better mouse trap. Just tough figuring out which one is.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tony,
Not all coolers will have zincs and you can actually over zinc an engine.
If your trans cooler has a good bond with the engine block, it will be protected by the other zincs. You can check that bond with an ohm meter or a bonding meter.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce

From what I can tell the cooler is not tied into the bonding system. There is no bonding wire and since everything else is isolated by the hoses I have to say that it sits out there on its own except for the bracket and since that is painted I would question that as a bonding point.

The only zinc in the 270 Cummins is in the heat exchanger.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

What Charlie said ......
LENCO
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Lenco
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I will give them a call in the morning. It looks like they make one with the zinc and in Cupro Nickle.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

and tell them that you are a member of B31 club.
The guys on LI will probably remember me.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

This thread made me think of a question: since the engines are the ground point for the 12v system they should be tied into the bonding system also. Does that mean the hull zincs will help protect the heat exchangers and other engine parts? (assuming there is a good metal to metal connection between the parts and the block)
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bertramp wrote:and tell them that you are a member of B31 club.
The guys on LI will probably remember me.

You sure they will not hang up on me. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tooeez wrote:This thread made me think of a question: since the engines are the ground point for the 12v system they should be tied into the bonding system also. Does that mean the hull zincs will help protect the heat exchangers and other engine parts? (assuming there is a good metal to metal connection between the parts and the block)

Tooeez

I have pondered that question, but I would say no. I say that because they tell us not to mix the new Aluminum Anodes with the Zinc Anodes. However when you think about it, no one seems to make an aluminum engine anode. So if it did, I would think the mixing would create a problem.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Thanks, Tony, for giving it some thought. It's an interesting question; after all, if a mid-ship through-hull fitting can be protected by a hull zinc by being bonded, why not engine parts? Maybe it's because the thru-hull and zincs are in the same electrolyte (the seawater the boat is floating in), but the seawater in the engine is isolated from the water outside the hull.