Cape of Good Hope

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

EarleyBird

Cape of Good Hope

Post by EarleyBird »

Well Capt. Lico anytime you want to chat about Cape Hope, Horn, Suez, Panama, or Straits of Magellan just let me know ‘cept., I made the wheels turn. C/E for 20 out of 30. Maine Maritime Academy Class of ‘77.
EarleyBird
bob lico

Re: Cape of Good Hope

Post by bob lico »

cannot have better credentials than that. big, big waves definitely quite a bit of "pucker factor" for the most experienced captain`s.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Early Bird,
My Father in Law Class of1942 Kings Point had 25 North Atlantic crossings during WW11 as an engineer he told me stories about German dive bombers and out running subs, 15 runs to Murmansk Russia and more in the Med and Egypt. He was on the USS Panama a converted United Fruit passenger liner that during the war held 12 to 15 thousand troops. He died at 61 of Asbestoses after 20 years of being Chief Boiler and Safety inspector for Travelers insurance Co in Boston. He was 15 years between the war and after for Pocahontas Lines as C/E then Travelers and Home Insurance. I wish I has more time with him he died in 1982 when I was in my early 30's. He loved his shot and a beer after work.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Hello Guys....to be truthful I guess after 30 years in the Enginerooms of Steamships, everyone having nothing but asbestos insulation I’m lucky, so far. Sea stories, I could tell them for hours.During the Persian Gulf war and for 20 years I was C/E of a twin engine vessel,60,000HP each engine we circumnavigated the world 3 times in 6 months. 946 feet long, Panamax hull and would do 34 knots at 125 rpms, while burning 110,000 gallons a few a day. Propellers were 22 feet in diameter, 5 blades, made of manganese bronze abs weighed 52 tons each. Look up SL-7, I was on the USNS Denebola. Worst trip was my last in 2006, leaving Durban, South Africa, had to turn around for repairs you counld of walk on the bulkhead (walls) in the turn, 60 foot seas...another story. Been all over the world, drank a couple of beers too!