B28 bottom paint and boot striping

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STeveZ

B28 bottom paint and boot striping

Post by STeveZ »

Went "down to the boat" to pick up my dock box and to check on progress. The bottom has been sandblasted, filled, sanded and as of this week, barrier coated and bottom painted. I must say, the blue boot strip looks hideous with the new black bottom paint.

I elected the black bottom paint because I want to get all the blue off the boat (remove the boot and topside striping).

1. Any suggestions for the boot stripe? Remove? Paint it black? Gold maybe? Raise it an inch off the bottom paint?

2. Anyone happen to know how to best and most completely remove the topside/bridge striping? I'm guessing its going to leave some staining if removed(?)
randall

Post by randall »

steve....no blue on my boat.....black bottom paint....gray 2' boot stripe set off by a thin red stripe between the gray and black.....hey..i like it
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Steve,

I have an 83 28B and it had the stripe on the bridge and around the upper hull. I took some 320 wet and dry and sanded it off. Then I used compound and a buffer to blend it in. It wasn't perfect, so I mixed up some matching gel coat and used a pavel spray gun and hit all the way around. When the gel set, I compounded it and waxed it. I'm happy as hell that I went that rolute. You could do the same with the base stripe. I suppose you could paint over it, but if it has been there for a while, I think yhou would be better off removing it as before and masking and painting it what ever color you wanted. I used the Paval sprayer to re-do my bridge. The owner before me had closed up some holes and did a good job of it, but used a paint brush and some cheap pain to cover it. It used a half gallon of laquer thinner and removed it all and sanded it with 320 and gel coated it. It looks like new.

If you are talking about vinyl stripes, sometimes just using a hair dryer will let you lift it right off. Then go around and wipe up the residue with a clean rag with some laquer thinner on it. I've pulled off whole stips using this method.

Dick
Last edited by Skipper Dick on May 13th, '07, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

Before boat US purchased DIY magazine, they used to advertise a rubber wheel for taking off the vinyl boot stripe. I found this on DIY Boat Owner Web site.

"Though some people use solvent and a scraper, which leaves a gooey mess and risks scratching the gelcoat, the best product to remove stripes is an "eraser" made by 3M Marine and Ferro. Both products literally erase the tape, leaving no adhesive residue and no sticky mess. All that's needed is a quick wipe with solvent. I used a Stripe Eliminator (800/343-3776) to remove a name with letters about 48cm (18") high and covering a 3m (10') span on each side of our project boat, in less than an hour. The faded gelcoat underneath is easily restored with rubbing compound. Rubbing compound and lots of elbow grease does a great job of removing painted graphics."

I don't know it works but it might be worth a try. Tony Meola
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

Thanks Rawleigh, I ordered one. I have a 2" boot stripe that is fighting me to the bitter end.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Bill

Boot stripe

Post by Bill »

I recently went and had my B28 hull repainted with white Awlgrip and did the bottom in black as well as the boot stipe. Looks a lot better than the retched blue that was on the hull.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Blue should not be on a boat - except maybe a blowboat. bad luck.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

Rawleigh,

The giant eraser pad came in today. It works VERY well. I removed about 12-15ft of 2" boot stripe in 30 minutes that had laughed at every method & effort. I will more than likely use 2 or 3 before the entire stripe is gone.

The wife chuncked the catelog they sent (knowing I will buy more stuff)...but I salvaged it from the trash can. Cool tools, good source.

Thanks
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

steve
keep it color coordinated go with the black boot stripe, mine has a appox 1'' stripe appox 1'' up from the bottom then a space then appox 2'' stripe
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

CWJ, got a pic you can post or email? -Steve
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Glad it worked for you Scott.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31