Stainless rudders and Micron CSC w/Biolux

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Stainless rudders and Micron CSC w/Biolux

Post by Dug »

Ok, I am now wondering. I painted my brand new installed Capt. Patrick stainless rudders with Interlux Micron csc bottom paint. Am I going to have a problem with the stainless vs. cuprous oxide in the paint? Now that I am thinking about it??

Dug
Snipe

Re: Stainless rudders and Micron CSC w/Biolux

Post by Snipe »

Dug that’s a good question you usually paint your stainless trim tabs with bottom paint it’s probably fine. Some guys use prop speed it works good. Did you get your rudders from Bobby Soles Propeller?
Jason
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yep, Bobby Soles.

I don’t have trim tabs so, no... LOL!

D
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i leave mine wire-wheeled shiny with 2" zinc buttons 15 years or so same as new.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

I used the micron the first two years I had the new rudder no issues.

I found that the ablative paint wears off the rudder too fast due to the prop wash. I still use a hard paint on them.

You should not have any issues with a reaction between the micron and the rudder.

I moved over to Petit Hydrocost. Water based, thin with water, easy to work with and it washes off easily. If I need to re use a brush the next day, I just leave it in a container of water. Lunch break I just stick the brush in water.

One warning, it does not wash out of clothes.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Have not painted the EarleyBird’s running gear in 32 years. Presently Stainless rudders, DQX Props, or the Aquamet 22 shafts. Since last year changed bottom paint to Micron CF, Boat was in the water for 8 1/2 months, power-washed bottom at haul out, almost looks as if it was just painted.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Phew! Well, if it wears off quickly, so be it!

I dream of a time like those in the past where I use the boat that much! I am hoping now that O is going to be 3 this summer, that she will want to go out on Daddy’s boat with me. She was just crossing that stage last summer and asked me yesterday when we could go out on the boat, so my fingers are crossed!!!! I would love nothing more than to burn the fuel out and wear all the paint off the bottom!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The only way you guys keep growth off those non painted rudder sand shafts is to move the boat every day. God bless you guys. Wish I could sneek away that much.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug wrote:Phew! Well, if it wears off quickly, so be it!

I dream of a time like those in the past where I use the boat that much! I am hoping now that O is going to be 3 this summer, that she will want to go out on Daddy’s boat with me. She was just crossing that stage last summer and asked me yesterday when we could go out on the boat, so my fingers are crossed!!!! I would love nothing more than to burn the fuel out and wear all the paint off the bottom!

I can still remember those days when bare shafts and rudders stayed clean.

Last year was mixed...used boat early in season which removed much of the anti-foul on running gear...then got real busy mid season so boat sat too long creating a traveling barnacle barn by the time I was able to get out. It was the first time in all my years I had to jump in and clean running gear just to get the boat moving. Also went in to make sure that was my problem.

Anyway...if you do not use the boat much the paint stays on the running gear, it stays foul free for the most part with the Biolux mix.
Mack

Post by Mack »

In the mid-Chesapeake area I have had very good results with micron/w biolux on the hull and struts with Pettit barnicle barrier coat on the shafts, props and rudders. It has a harder finish than the bottom paint and won’t get blasted off the rudders by the prop wash. Sprays on easily and two quick coats is all you need for the season.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Mack wrote: Sprays on easily and two quick coats is all you need for the season.

Now thats my kind of coating! Thanks for the top Mack.

Used to use the outboard/drive Clear spray before they reformulated it...worked well and as since it was clear it lasted forever.
Okay...maybe it came off quick and the little growth was due to my using the boat...but @ $30 bucks a can I liked the idea it was still on and doing something all season.
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Petit Barnacle Barrier is currently 2 for 1 at West Marine. Hydrocoat is 30% off. They also price match, Got a pair of $85 summer shoes for $49.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]