Looking for a PBR

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Looking for a PBR

Post by Bruce »

Looking for a PBR for restoration for a customer.

If anyone knows where ones at, let me know. Thanks.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

OK, I'll be the sucker....what's a PBR?

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

It is a cheap beer usually sold at low end convenience stores!! (Sorry Vic, I couldn't help myself!) Actually I think he is looking for a patrol boat like in Apocalypse Now. Uniflite built a lot of them. Water jet powered with diesel engines. I hear they were great in shallow water. Bruce, check Boats and Harbors. I don't have a current one, but General Propulsion used to advertise a bunch of military boats 1(800)966-1212. Also try www.maritimeintl.com.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Rawleigh I'm right there with you on the Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer......That was the drink of my college days

Harry Babb
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Makes me think of the definition of a "Wanchese Luau"...

A 6 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon & a road kill possum.

Wanchese is the little town on the south end of Roan Oak Island & original home of the Buddy Davis Boat Works. Jim Bailey is a co-owner of that historic piece of real estate now...
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Patrol Boat River ?
Jim
1975 28 FBC
scot

Post by scot »

Harry...did your choice of beer have anything to do with the fact that it cost 99 cents a 6 pack?

Bruce...If your customer finds one he has to name it "Street Gang"

The only place I have ever seen them for sale is B&H, as Rawleigh mentioned. I always wanted one of those boats. Good luck, I would love to see one running.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
nic

Post by nic »

The PBR is the only other 31 that you might want to restore.

http://www.unifliteworld.com/navy.html

Was the hulk of one on a riverbank here years ago. Let me know if you are really desperate and I'll track it down.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I did some diving on one that had been converted to a yacht once about 25 years ago. (Damn, I must be getting old!) The jet drives had been replaced with outdrives and they had managed to find a nice length of rope with one.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

Nic,
Nice link. The video clip on the site is from a History Channel Doc they did a few years back. They did a complete show on the PBR in their "Great Ships" series. A copy of that show would be really helpful for a restoration.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
clay

Post by clay »

Bruce:

Cal Equipment looks like they have one,no engines or jets but the price is only 3k - last one I saw sold for 14K in 2004 and needed engines. I would move fast as they are a blast from the past, most of them got left on the deltas in Nam.

http://www.calequipment.com/maritime.html

Four are located at Museums around the countryif any one wants to see one up close and personal.

No name Patrol Boat, Riverine PBR Uniflite Bellingham WA 1960s National Vietnam War Museum Orlando FL
No name Patrol Boat, Riverine PBR Uniflite Bellingham WA 1960s The New Jersey Naval Museum Hackensack NJ
No name Patrol Boat, Riverine PBR Uniflite Bellingham WA 1960s Battleship Memorial Park Mobile AL
No name Patrol Boat, Riverine PBR Uniflite Bellingham WA 1960s Mare Island Historic Park
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

The PBR is the only other 31 that you might want to restore.

http://www.unifliteworld.com/navy.html

Nic
That 31 is the Hull and design the Navy basically stole from Willis Slane You guys know the founder Of Hatteras Boats!!!

http://www.tf116.org/stories/yachting.html
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
clay

Post by clay »

Here is my favorite photo pf PBR

nic

Post by nic »

Thanks Dan,

I'd read about the proto-type being produced quickly but did not know it was Willis Slane. By the way, I was privileged to meet Jack Hargrave one time.

A proto-type twin diesel patrol boat in 12 days then 120 patrol boats in four and a half months - talk about "can-do"! I wonder if that proto-type is still around?

Bruce, if you get one for your client it would be great to see a progress diary on the net. Also, if you are doing that CC B31 it would be great to see some pics of that too.

Great projects, both of them good to see.

Nic
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nic,
Great projects, both of them good to see.
Speaking of "Good to see" have you seen any lost, lonesome, & highly guarded wooden crates around Sydney?? Any bomb threats lately?

Now I've got a guy in Tahti wanting a set of rudders for a B28...

Br,

Patrick
nic

Post by nic »

Captain,

As long as you don't tell anyone I can let you know that a certain clandestine consignment left an unkown location bound for an unidentified destination some time last night. Some things get funnier the longer they go on.

And I had a friend arrive in San Diego yesterday who said he would bring them back for me.

Anyway, as long as you are not in a hurry it all works out.

Now, you simply can't deny the rest of the world parts for their B31s so just tell 'em it takes time and let Karl & Bonnie do their thing. I feel I've got to know them over this, Bonnie's mom is not well so be nice to her.

Still hoping to see you all in August.

Regards

Nic
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nic,

Believe me, Kurt & Bonnie get no ration of crap from me... They are a good find & I'm sure I'll be using them, or at least recommending them in the future.

It's the damned governments, misplaced security emphasis, and general charlie foxtrot that can only be mishandled adequately by hordes of bureaucrats from both of our great countries that gets me boiling.

With many thanks to Rit, I hope to be in Panama & TSL in a little over a month. Uncle Sam's bureaucrats at the Pass Port Dept. have got me on pin & needles waiting for my travlin' papers. Put in for a renewal back in Feb.

Latest word is "they're awfully busy and real over loaded with record numbers of applicants". Getting ready to contact my local congressman see if he can build a fire under them in my behalf...
"Record Number of Applicants"?
Sounds like rats jumping a sinking ship...

Br,

Patrick
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

Bruce:

Cal Equipment looks like they have one,no engines or jets but the price is only 3k - last one I saw sold for 14K in 2004 and needed engines. I would move fast as they are a blast from the past, most of them got left on the deltas in Nam.

http://www.calequipment.com/maritime.html

Four are located at Museums around the countryif any one wants to see one up close and personal.

No name Patrol Boat, Riverine PBR Uniflite Bellingham WA 1960s National Vietnam War Museum Orlando FL
No name Patrol Boat, Riverine PBR Uniflite Bellingham WA 1960s The New Jersey Naval Museum Hackensack NJ
No name Patrol Boat, Riverine PBR Uniflite Bellingham WA 1960s Battleship Memorial Park Mobile AL
No name Patrol Boat, Riverine PBR Uniflite Bellingham WA 1960s Mare Island Historic Park
I was just at the Battleship Park in Mobile (my uncle was Chief Engineer of the Alabama). Katrina did a lot of damage to a lot of things. I did not see the PBR there, although it could have been moved for a while.

Cheers!

John
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

https://passportstatus.state.gov/opss/OPSS_Status_d.asp
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/st ... _2567.html
Patrick-
I had the same problem and found out the status of my particular passport. Try these sites. Walter
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

"It's the damned governments, misplaced security emphasis, and general charlie foxtrot that can only be mishandled adequately by hordes of bureaucrats from both of our great countries that gets me boiling."

You should have seen what Airport Security put me through at JFK-NY and Miami International with my two new titanium hips that set off their wands. I had a letter from Columbia Presbyterian Hospital verifying the surgical implants, to no avail (guess you have to be able to read English). They had me remove my belt buckle...then my belt...I was ready for a strip search. At best both places are a zoo, and I'm not looking foward to an instant replay en route to Panama. You'll need at least two hours between flights in order to make it through the abyss. We had it and almost missed our flight... Oh yes, put your "no more than 3 oz liquid toiletries" in a QUART sized ziploc bag as gallon ziplocs are not allowed. Mine was rejected and I had to repack them. Fortunately, I had some smaller bags. Can you pull a gallon Ziploc over someone's head and asphyxiate them? Walter
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

your gettin awefully crochety in your advanceing life cycle..........

Thuddddddddd
clay

Post by clay »

I have to agree with Capt. Patric on this whole Pass Port mess. I am pissed off at the ability of these buffons to change anything any time for any reason.

I need to travel on 6/16/07 - applied for my renewal on 3/16/07 - was told that time frame would be 6-8 weeks so no expidited service would be required. Checked out the web-site on 5/16/07 to find out the status of my renewal and it says (no record -allow 4 weeks after application to begin tracking or e-mail us) on top of that it now say allow 10 to 12 weeks after application and that "RENEWALS MAY TAKE LONGER" -

Come on - tell me it aint true if you are a citizen for the last 10 years you are a bigger security risk than for a new applicant? - BS

I am sending the letter to my good ol Congressman Solomon Ortiz after this rant.

Clay
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Guys, the passport crunch is due to the new regs that went into effect last Jan. 1 that you cannot enter the US from anywhere outside without a passport....exception is a cruise ship that leaves and comes back to the US, and that goes away Jan. 1 of 08. This means that all travel to Carib. islands, Mexico, Canada, Bahamas, etc need a passport where they did not before. Huge number of applicants resulted. Those of you in the crunch see if you can "retro" the $68 expedited fee and get out of the log jam. Your congressman is a good place to start, but its a big problem right now.

Walter, the gallon vs. quart zip lock also intrigued me....why? Turns out its on the TSA website in the fine print, guess a result of the London guys that were gonna mix a bomb on trans-atlantic flights recently. They requre all your 3 oz. stuff to fit in a quart bag since if you have enough stuff to fill a gallon bag its big enough to go bang, quart ain't. Or so they say. I'm just a reporter, don't throw rocks at me.

Don Helms, my camp neighbor and the Panama Minister de Pollo, is studying Spanish in anticipation of our return to TSL in about a month. This morning I was running an errand in the golf cart and came upon Don walking, stopped and he greeted me "Buenas Dias, Pico Vic" which he said was 'good morning UV" I gave his fat ass a ride back to his house in the golf cart, he was sweating bad. Senor Don never had been offshore in his life, I talked him into going to TSL last year and he caught 14 sailfish...he be goin' back.

Bon soire'

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I had fun fishing with Don last year! He is a funny guy. Tell him hello for me.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31