Bow Chocks, spare parts, and starboard possibilities

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Bow Chocks, spare parts, and starboard possibilities

Post by Dug »

Good Morning everyone! Sun is out (for now), it was a good weekend, and everyone is healthy (knock on wood)!

As of 9:30 today I have 11 bow chock checks. I know some of you sent them last week, and I will be seeing mail this afternoon, so we should know if we are good to go later today. My fingers are crossed that we will be.

I will be making an effort to clean out a bunch of spare Bertram parts over the next couple of weeks. I have a full aluminum rubrail that is original, and was removed from Alchemy two years ago. I also have a full bow rail. The bow rail is in good condition, I went with a one piece welded one. If anyone is local, and wants them, please let me know, or they will be going out in the scrap bin. If there is anything you are curious about shoot me a note, I may have it. I am hesitant to ship due to size, and in some cases weight, but it is always a possibility...

I got the underwater lights in on Saturday, thank you to all who offered help and advice on this site. With your knowledge and input, they were in in under an hour, and it was super easy. Now I just need to bond and wire them. The bottom is sanded, and ready for paint this coming weekend, and then it is wash and wax, and in we go! Plus outriggers...I almost forgot... I am excited. Then it will be balance both shafts after all the work done to repair the boat after hitting the tree this fall, and then I can report on the total costs and steps. What a winter...

Lastly, we will be taking delivery of a serious CNC router here in a couple months, and seeing the step for Thereheis's boat, I realized that if anyone needs anything made of starboard, we could probably work something out. We are buying it to do a lot of high speed drilling, but it will sure do a number on plastic, so why not!? And now my brain is churning up all sorts of cool projects for Alchemy on it... But if I can help anyone out, just let me know. We can get it into production!

Spring/summer is coming! And the flowers are out!

Life is good.

Dug
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wow! That is a neat offer Dug! I can't wait to see some of your work! Speaking of parts, what ever happened to the Chrysler parts? Not that I am in any rush at all, but thought I would just check on them.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

Rawleigh, I plum forgot.

I will try to get some shipping info in the next week...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

dug i am sure you realize you are our go to guy for dashboard work. you could make all kinds of designs with a cnc.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob,

We have had all the vertical milling centers and lathes for a while. That is good for some applications.

The router is really good for larger stuff.

I actually have a friend who owns a company that makes anti friction stuff out of plastic, whereas we usually work with steel. He has two routers that handle 4 x 8 sheets. Nice...

We shall see.

I have 13 checks. I recieved them from Doug C., and Mike Pelham.

Any more in the mail? we are 2 shy of the minimum...

Dug
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug,
Is it a router or a Gantry Mill?
You have, or where getting a Hardinge CNC , how have you found their machines and service, the few people by me that have them have had issues.
Carl
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I sent a cheque out today, sorry about the waffling, project is over budget, not sure I'm going to use the chock, but what the heck, worst case scenario it'll make a nice desk ornament!
Dug

Post by Dug »

SIM,

It is a router, but the head moves, not the table. What we are trying to do is essentially light high speed drilling. For a while we considered a vmc, but it didn't make sense when it all shook out.

We do have a Hardinge. We like it. It has been good. We had many issues early on, but they were very supportive. That would be 6-7 years ago. They essentially fixed all issues, and took our machine away and replaced it with one that had all the issues fixed. That was a very satisfying way to handle it for us. We should have bought another one...

What are you trying to accomplish or use it for? We also have an Index, Mori Seiki and Okuma. Depending on what the application is, they have all been strong.

Rocket, I will keep an eye out. That will put us to 14, and that is damned close. Anyone else in the wings???
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug,
We are again in the market for CNC's, a VMC and Turning Center, Hardinge continues to make us good offers for a new purchase, but... service has been an issue in our area. However, I like to keep an open mind and ask anyone with some first hand dealings, sounds like they did the right thing by you.
Mori's and Okuma, excellent machines IMHO but with our work base the numbers just don't make good business sence.
Thanks,
Carl
Dug

Post by Dug »

Sim,

Have you contemplated going to Eastec next week? It is across the river from Springfield, MA, and is a big show. All the stuff you are thinking about will be there.

It is in the place that the Big E is held.

I can send you the web address if you like. I will be out there for a day at least, and usually run into Fred Greis while there...

Might be worth your time.

Dug
mikepelham

Post by mikepelham »

Dug & Sim:

I have to agree woth you comments Dug. We supply to Hardinge as they use our coolants to machine parts and then use our RP to ship the machines. Since we also sell coolants we see quite a few machines and have had mixed reviews on every manufacturer, Haas, Hardings, Mori's, Mazak, etc.

The Eastec show is great to see some machines in action. This is the first year, we opted out but usually we have a booth there to exhibit our coolants, cleaners, etc and have had our coolants in the machines at several booths. Oh well, always next year. Perhaps we could grab a beer or two.

Good luck with your CNC search!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Sim

I also have CNC machines. My first machine was a Mori SL25 turning center. Purchased it in 1992 and its still making parts everyday. In addition to the Mori we have Fadals, Daewoo's and a Milltronics.

With a great deal of apprehension I purchased a Milltronics 2260 turning center. Its been in service since January with no problems at all and I am very impressed. The machine cost about $65K.........the least expensive CNC I have ever purchased.

You can expect to at least double you productivity (compared to conventional lathe machining) after just a couple of months of learning how to program and setup this machine.

What kind of work do you guys do in your shop??

Harry Babb
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

No Eastec for me this year, overwhelmed with work.

We have several CNC's, Emco Maier, Bridgeport and Haas. We have been staying with Haas on the last few purchases as there service is top notch in our area, makes up for machines shortcomings.

I looked at Milltronics a few years ago, didn't like the grease in place of way lube...but I will keep in mind, I've been hearing good things about them.

We are a job shop. This week I am running boat shafts, specialty fittings, packaging equipment parts, elevator parts, aftermarket Supercharger kits, aftermarket vintage Corvette parts, props and camera equipment for the motion picture indusrty and next week that will all change.

Mike send me a line card...just bought coolant but there is always next time.

Carl
Dug

Post by Dug »

Our last purchase was the Mori. It is an NL3000. What an impressive machine...

Full live tooling, and turns up to something just over 10 inches.

It makes really neat stuff. Quickly.

We have had a couple issues with it, but they have been incredibly responsive.

Overall we have product from Hurco, Okuma, Mori, Index, Hardinge and Bridgeport. The bridgeport is an easypath, that was an early purchase. I am not a fan, though it runs reliably, and that is likely because it is only an NC lathe, not full cnc. You might look at Fryer. They have amazingly easy to use controls, and are made in NY. The fellow who owns it is a great guy who I have known for a long time. If I were going to buy another toolroom type piece for job shop type stuff, I would absolutely consider that product line.

I am a very big fan of easy to use controls... They make life much better.

We also have a couple of Hitachi seiki's that are good solid older vmc's and an older (mid-1990's) Mazak Quickturn 15 that I am trying to sell. We don't use it anymore. Probably good for production stuff, but it doesn't to much when compared to the Mori.

Eastec will be interesting I think. Every year I understand more...

Dug
Carl

Post by Carl »

NL 3000, now that is a beautiful hunk of iron. That's the new one with the C axis motor inside the turret, right. Nice, very nice I'd love to watch that go to town. Sad how a chunk of iron can make me so giddy.

They all seem to have issues from time to time, look at the complexity of the machine and its understandable. How the company deals with the issue's is another story.

All Controls seem to have quirks, easy Control or not, I got away from that and just program with Gibbs CAM now. Learn one program and it deals with ALL the machine controls, quirks and all.

Fryer, I'll take another look at them they had some nice box way mills. Last I looked they did not have much of a dealer network in our area, similiar to Mighty, Hardinge and Hurco.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yeah, it really is incredible. And we do most of the programming at the machine. Nice to have it ripping away, and programming the next job while it is running.

The power supply has blown up twice, and it ended up being that turret mounted motor. $11,000 motor overnighted from japan, at no cost. It was a warrantee issue. They were incredible.

Yes, it is an incredible machine. You are welcome to come watch it perform anytime!

Call Fryer, and ask for Larry. Tell him I sent you. His sister was my real estate broker in Cambridge...as we have all seen here on this site, it can be a small world.

They make a great machine!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I had no idea that there were so many "Machine Shop Guys" on this site.....makes me feel even more at home

Sim, I know just how you feel........the "GIDDY FEELING" talking shop and looking at big beautiful chunks of iron

We are the lucky ones........really enjoying our work......

Harry Babb
hb
randall

Post by randall »

i use a straight edge a mat knife and a fishtail gauge for 75% of my work.....but its good to have machines and friends with "real" shops
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Randall,
I have a good friend that hand carves Ducks. He carves the most delicate details, even the feathers have the little lines that shows each strand?? attached to the stem.

I have seen your work pictured on the internet......simply amazing........where do you get your patience ????

Harry Babb
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Randall,
When my dad built a house in Ocean City back in the 60's, my Grandfather was asked to help out. My dad pulled out a brand new circular saw and my grandfather remarked, son if you want me to help, put that damn thing away.

My grandfather was one hell of a carpenter and had about a dozen tools in his box. Knocked off everyday at 3 and spent the next two hours hand sharpening the chizels, planer, rip and crosscut saws for the next days work.

That house is still standing today. While most around have been tear downs and rebuilds, that house is still plumb and square and looks good.

Me, give me a 3lb hammer, vise grips, sawz all and a tube of 5200 and I'll build you an aircraft carrier.

Funny thing about the Haas CNC's.
When I went thru Hendrick Motorsports manufacturing facilities a few years back, they had completed a massive building project.

One large building housed among things about a dozen Haas CNC's making everything from pistons, rods, brake, and many other parts.

Half the machines were down for maintenance or repairs. Some in the middle of production I was told.

Oh, oh, oh, more power, errrrrrr. Manly machines, electricity, horse power, kilo watts, 3 phase, 3 axis, 60hz, 440hz, sub stations, main frames, nuke plants...........................

Who's got a cigarette?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bruce,

Lets just say that Haas has not ended up being the appropriate machine for our applications...

Dug
randall

Post by randall »

harry...thanks,,,appreciate it....like the work itself ,it is somewhat of an illusion...its way more about confidence and the ability to make stuff up as you go and see the future...a lot like surfing.....patience is required but not nearly as much as you would think....ask my wife...i'm not particularly patient....

bruce....i often use hand tools instead of power tools even if its gonna take longer....with hand tools i can get in a zone ..stop thinking and rock out and only risk a small gash.....with power tools you kinda have to pay attention...which spoils the whole process for me.....sometimes i can go 2 or 3 hours without a conscious thought....
Carl

Post by Carl »

Haas is a light duty machine, work within its limits and they hold up quite well, my oldest is a 91 and it just chugs away day in day out holding tolerances with little issue, a tool shuttle motor, a proximity switch and I had to change a bushing in the coolant pump. I could replace with a better, higher quality, higher priced machine...but it would make the same parts, with the same tolerance at the same pace. Tools will only cut so fast and I only need to make so many.

Buying a Mori for my current work would be like putting 500hp yannies in our 31's, as you said Dug, its about the application.

Randall, looked at your work...yeah wow... I'm not an art y guy but I like your work. I really enjoy when you kind of glance quick and go "yeah nice" then it hits you... was that all a chunk of wood and the more you look the more you see... Give me a knife, a straight edge and a chunk of wood and I'll show you...a knife, a straight edge some saw dust and a smaller chunk of wood.