Re power question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Grande

Re power question

Post by Grande »

I have a line on a pair of 300hp horizons mpi's that came out of a searay with bravo 3 drives and transom shields . The drives and transom shields i would sell and basically recover the cost of the package.
My question is I currently have merc 250 hp 1500hr motors one is opposite rotation and velvet drives. The MPI's are both same rotation. Is there a transmission I can use with out doing a bunch of stringer work?
Ie a reversable transmission like the 71c ?
current 1977 bertram 28
2015 BW 17 dauntless
past
searay 26 command bridge
searay 25 sundancer
Tony Meola

Re: Re power question

Post by Tony Meola »

I am not sure what model you would need but you can still get a Velvet Drive, but it is called Regal now and of course a ZF Transmission. I am sure there are others.

Hopefully Bruce will jump in as he has more knowledge as to what might match up to these engines.

Not sure where you are located but if you are in the North East, give Mack Boring a call, they can help you out.

http://www.regalpts.com/brands/velvetdr ... trans.aspx
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Grande,
When I repowered with 454 &.4 liter Mercruisers (330 Hp detuned to 310hp ) I used Hurth 63 A 1:52:1 8 degree down angle trannies both my engines were the same rotation in order for them to work the Port engine is run in reverse. I know that GM stopped making counter rotation engines in the early to mid 90's I know that most of the newer motor have the trannies one in reverse and one in regular rotation . Ask Bruce if that is the correct answer. I think I had to re-drill the stringer that was about all I had to do, besides clean the bilge of 35 years of gunk. holes
\Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Grande

Post by Grande »

Thanks Pete and Tony , I am thinking now about the Liberty series 5000a in 1.52:1. This will allow me to have two LH rotation engines and change one in transmission to cr.
Has anyone else re powered without CR motor and used different transmissions ?
current 1977 bertram 28
2015 BW 17 dauntless
past
searay 26 command bridge
searay 25 sundancer
Chris Havener

Post by Chris Havener »

I am re powering my 26 convertable, it had Velvet drive transmissions one ran in reverse and I switched to Hurth 63 A 1.52 to 1 and have one running in reverse just like the Velvet drive set up. I found the 63A's were a lot cheaper than the Velvet drive 5000's and sound like they have a good reputation as well.
Chris