Helm seating options

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

Helm seating options

Post by Rickysa »

Have to remove the current chair (too small) and wondered what other folks have done...would prefer a bench set-up?
Stephan

Re: Helm seating options

Post by Stephan »

I was considering the same change before the 2016 season. I felt like a chauffeur or was wearing my knees out when kneeling next to my children as they drove.
My solution was a Taco leaning post from Defender (I think this one http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=2329768) and then had a local cut the legs down.
I like this solution very much. My 6 man raft will fit along side (pic below) or under the seat. For reference that's my 7 yr old daughter Ellie running the show and looking for Whales north of Cape Cod.
If I can provide any measurements let me know or better yet c'mon down for a ride some time.
Regards,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Perfect....many thanks!
Kirkgeorge2

Post by Kirkgeorge2 »

Stephen, great picture, the Bimini top is of interest to me where did you purchase and the size would help. Thanks kirk
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

Sstephan,
That is exactly the setup I’m fitting at the moment.
What width leaning post is that?
Do you have side screens also?
Do you find the bimini twists or moves when underway in big sea or wind?

Nice picture btw.
David
David Davidson
1971 B31 FBC Hull no 315-1106
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Gentlemen-
Sorry I was away from the site for a few days.
I purchased the Bimini from Raybo Marine - he had it surplus from another project. I will get the measurements.
I do have side and top 2/3rd of the rear curtains but have not used them. I am surprised and pleased to report that the bimini is very stable. The bows are stainless and I have them held fore and aft with Stainless vertical supports.
I have had a clip on all around white light for a anchor light. This season I am planning to wire in a light to a standard mounted on the aft most bow.
The leaning post/seat is reported by Taco as 39" wide however I removed the grab rail that ran along both sides and the rear of the frame. I will check the width of how I have it installed.
Best,
Stephan
Last edited by Stephan on Mar 24th, '18, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

Thanks Stephan. That’s helpful.

I am speaking with a metal fabricator next week regarding a radar arch and bimini set up. Do you have any more pics of your arrangement? Your side handrails look interesting.

David
David Davidson
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

David-
The side rails were fabricated by the owner before me. Rick Cataldi at Seaward Boatworks http://www.seawardboatworks.com/ here in Rhode Island got the boat with a large tower on it. He removed the tower and fabricated the rails in a fashion similar to the original Bertram design with larger radius aluminum stock. I think Rick does great work. As this is springtime in Southern New Engalnd we are having nor'Easter snowstorms every week so the boat remains under shrink wrap. I sorted through the pictures I have and came up with what is below. If there is anything I can do to hlp please let me know.
ImageImage
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

Thanks Stephan. That’s useful.
David.
David Davidson
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Hey Stephan, pls. In the simplest terms, how did you post your pics. I to have a bench helm seat, my custom made ladder back helm chair was stolen years ago. In addition I have an aluminum tube hard top made out of divinicell with a radar pod on top. Also I have an old extra 31 Original windshield, with a plexiglass wind deflector that mounts 90 degrees to the windshield. Have the pattern. And am removing my 5.9 Cummins BTA for needed maintenance and painting. Posting pics as the old saying goes “ a picture is worth a million words” EarleyBird
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

EarleyBird-
I have a web hosting account for personal use and post the pictures there. Then I copy the links into the reply box with the [Img] tag from the controls at the top of the response box. There are good instructions here http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3 including info on using an Imgur http://www.imgur.com account to host the photos (scroll down to the bottom).
If I can help you please let me know.
Stephan
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

https://imgur.com/gallery/v4Xrlgt

If you had clicked Img and then inserted https://i.imgur.com/eqJXopF.jpg you would have had it.

You go to your linked page and right click on the image. Then 'copy image location', which is this https://i.imgur.com/eqJXopF.jpg
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Mike----I have been following the rebuild of this boat on the Hull Truth---- I think it is one of the prettiest small flybridge boats---hard to get the proportions right.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i had a unique situation some years back.i build a set of props for a millionaire on Jupiter Island FL. he owns 6 marine companies one of them makes the seats custom monogram for high price center consoles.so he asks me if i needed something for my Bertram,(yea i need custom seating, better yet a solution. here is the situation ALL comfortable seating is base upon a minimum of 24"width.i have exactly 44" from touching the canvass on the port side of the bridge to aluminum curve that anchors to the rod holder horizontal on back of the bridge and it absolutely necessary to put my ACR ditch bag under the seat. the solution was obvious after some through. take one arm off the popular Montauk series chair and put two chairs together like in the movie house each person has there own seat and can adjust but most important can't sway into each other in a rough wave situation (bench seats, OEM triple seats all useless (unless it is your girlfriend next to you). this is a well throughout innovation that 3o brothers from this forum sat on and commented. i with post some photos if i can find them.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

very old photo without ditchbag let me find another

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

another old photo with old electronics. notice the bench actually is 1/4" from the rail on the starboard side of pilots chair which is dead center of steering wheel. very comfortable cushions.chairs are Todd brand Montauk series.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

both chairs have four series of a shock absorber settings as you can see under the chair. set at the highest level you tend to fall asleep at the wheel.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

Priceless

Post by Priceless »

Nice. It worked.