13 31's at one spot

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Doug Crowther

13 31's at one spot

Post by Doug Crowther »

Last week I stopped by Worton Creek Marina outside of Chestertown Maryland. The owner John Patnovic has been mentioned here several times and was referenced in Capt. Holmes article about recycling a classic. I went to look at a tuna tower that was coming off an Ocean-couldn't make it work-another story. John wasn't available when I first got there so I walked the yard. I counted 13 Bertram 31's on the premises. The majority of them in states of disrepair, Patnovic has purchased these to re-build at some future date. I saw my first hull failure 31. It was a sportfish from Mississippi. The hull was fractured/crushed in several places. I asked about it later and was told it was a Katrina victim and that nothing else was known. John has all models except for an open moppie. If anyone was ever in a position to flip a 31 over and make molds this is the man. He has the boats, the buildings and the resources.He has a veritable b31 salvage yard at his disposal. As I walked around there were several items on a couple of the boats that I would have loved to have had for Crowsnest. Forgot to take a camera, sorry.
Last winters project 31 has 315 Yannnies (got away from using the 330 Cummins) and a red hull with green bottom and will be named Tabasco. She was floating at the and of the pier waiting for a hardtop for the new half tower (awesome looking pipework).
If ever on Md's Eastern shore this is a must stop for 31 enthusiasts.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I have been up to Whorton Creek (I have the tee-shirt to prove it).

When I was there, I think he did have a "Moppie".

Definately a cool place to walk around. John himself was very open in discussing his projects past and present.

Ian.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Crae's Mako winters there. I haven't been there in a couple if years. Does Patnovic still have the Vietnam war PT Boat? John Patnovic, as well as the guys doing the work, were as nice and friendly as can be when I stopped by.

John F.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Anyone have a phone number?

With 13 bow chocks ordered, I need to sell a couple more to make the order possible. Maybe John P. would like to buy a couple...

Dug
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Dug,

These are the last numbers I had for John; should still be good...

Worton Creek Marina, 23145 Buck Neck Road, Chestertown, Md. 21620. Phone: (410) 778-3282, ext. 12
fax: (410) 778-3395

Br,

Patrick
Last edited by CaptPatrick on May 15th, '07, 15:06, edited 2 times in total.
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Dug,

The number for Whorton Creek Marina is: 470.778.3282

Did you get my check?

Thanks,

Ian.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Ian,

Nope.

Dug
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Area code is 410 not 470. The Pt boat is Vietnam era and powered by 2 3100hp turbine engines. Apparently there are no ww2 vintage pt boat's left. The Vietnam boat was traced back to its manufacturer here in Annapolis the Trumpy Yacht Company. Their former building is now the Chart House Restraunt.

Go to www.wortoncreek.com

There's a nice blurb about the PT boat there for those interested.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.