Patrick: Another Minwax Polyurethane question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Patrick: Another Minwax Polyurethane question

Post by JohnV8r »

Patrick,

I have another question regarding the use of Minwax Polyurethane and epoxy. The photo below is from the dry fitting of the flooring I did last week. My question pertains to the area in the upper right hand corner of the photo where the flooring meets the hull and was glassed to the hull on the original floor with biaxial fiberglass:

Can I spray the 10 coats of polyurethane on the T&H flooring and then use epoxy/biaxial fiberglass over the polyurethane to glass in the floor section or do I need to tape off those areas that will be glassed in to keep them free from any polyurethane?

I'm assuming if I can glass over the polyurethane I will need to sand the surface to rough it up a little. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance,

JohnV8r

Last edited by JohnV8r on May 12th, '07, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
JohnV8r

Another floor photo

Post by JohnV8r »

Here's a better photo of the floor being dry fit. I must admit that it looked so good I just sat there for 40 minutes staring at it.

Thanks to this website and all the great advice I get, I had the confidence to start ripping out the interior and upgrading. Once I got into it, I was shocked at how simple the construction was.

JohnV8r

The New Corian Counter

Post by JohnV8r »

Here's a photo of the new Corian counter that will be going in. It's resting on the old cabinetry for the galley/sink area. That cabinetry will be replaced with teak veneered plywood. I'm just waiting for the new Waeco refrigerator to arrive so I can get that piece built out.

The Corian guy did an UNBELIEVEABLE job. The radius on the coved corner is EXACTLY the same as the original. That blew my mind. I can't see a seam or anything on the new top. It's as if it was poured in a mold. It definitely exceeded my expectations.

Incidently, the routed strips in the backsplash are to allow some venting. The other rectangular cut out is for the electrical outlet. I will be putting a new cabinet in with the sliding doors like the original. I want to keep the look as reasonably close to the original as possible.

Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Corian looks awesome. What did this craftsman charge for this work of art ? and would he do it again ?
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

I paid $1800. It was approximately 45 hours of work for him. Coving the corner and getting the double radius on the backside exactly like the original was very time consuming. It might be less expensive now that he's done it once.

Yes, I'm sure he would do another.
John F.

Post by John F. »

John-

Teak and corian look great. Looking forward to pics of the finished project.

John F.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

WOW!!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31