Oh, the fun we're having..

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Lars

Oh, the fun we're having..

Post by Lars »

Unpleasant surprise on the B25.. The boat is up, and being prepared for shaft work. Got the chance to inspect the bottom, and a big fat hull fracture is apparent. Looks like an old damage, with shoddy previous repair and antifouling paintover. So much for survey and previous owners' "no damage"-assurances...

Oh, well - getting ready for some substantial glass work...

Yannis

Re: Oh, the fun we're having..

Post by Yannis »

Damn, this is huge!
Are you sure its not done during transportation? Looks like the rectangular shape of a trailer support.
Though its a pain, it can be fixed...everything can be fixed...
Good luck!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Lars

Post by Lars »

Yannis wrote:Are you sure its not done during transportation?
Yeah, that was my first thought as well. But no, unfortunately I cannot pin it on the transporter and his insurance.. This is an older damage. Not quite as huge as the pic suggests though; the crack is about 30 cm long.
Yannis wrote:Good luck!
Thanks!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Lars,

Is this 25 that beautiful Riva that you swapped with the Coronet?

It looks like its over the waterline and the paint “step” looks important...I want to meet that surveyor.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Is this down the centerline of the hull? I had questioned the joint on both of my 31’s it appeared as there was hull damage yet it was just the point where the hull molds came together and Bertram’s attempt at smoothing it out... I would take a closer look at it and do some experimental cleanup/sanding to see what’s going on before you assume it’s major damage... it almost looks as if someone ground back the area...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Do you see damage on the inside of the hull? Where exactly are we looking at on the center line
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Lars

Post by Lars »

Yannis: Yes, it's the Riva.. Whaler: Yes, right at the centerline.

The crack is below the waterline, just ahead of the bit where the red antifouling turns to white. It's hard to access that spot from the inside, so I haven't been able to check it yet. Looks pretty nasty though. I am afraid it's just wishful thinking to hope that it is superficial. Good news is it seems the previous owner is ponying up and covering a major share of the repair cost.

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Lars,

I don't recall how the cabin interior is in a 25, however, when I wanted to gain access UNDER the anchor locker's bottom surface in my 28, just because my arm could not reach the distance through the existing forward v-berth hatch, I had a new round hatch made, forward of the rectangular one, so that I could reach where I wanted. Now my boat has two hatches up front; the stock rectangular one, as well as a new round hatch right before the anchor bulkhead.
This is to say that if you have a difficult access to where you want to reach, just make a new hole and call it a hatch!

Irrelevant, but looking at your pics I envy the complete lack of dust in the marina and elsewhere...I guess the fact that everything in Norway is greener and wetter helps!

Lars

Post by Lars »

"Make a hole and call it a hatch".. I'll remember that!.. :-D

Nice fish!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Ha,ha, thanks.