Bertram 28 Fuel Tanks

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Charley Fox

Bertram 28 Fuel Tanks

Post by Charley Fox »

Hello, I've recently purchased a 1977 Bertram 28. Wondering the fuel capacities in the aluminum wing tanks as well as the fiberglass centerline tank. Also, is todays gasoline harmful to the fiberglass tank and are there any precautions to take to protect the fiberglass tank. What a great and solid boat, it was upgraded with 90's era crusader XL 260's, parts seem to be a challenge at times. Were Mercruisers the stock engines? All input is appreciated.
neil

Re: Bertram 28 Fuel Tanks

Post by neil »

Be very careful with that fiberglass tank,it could be the death of your two motors,just ask how I know and welcome to the sandbox
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I have a 79 28 that I bought from the original owner in 1987, so I am familiar with how the boat came from the factory. Mine had 228 hp Mercrusers (305 chevy smalblocks). The aluminum tanks you have were added; the original tank was a single 155 gallon fiberglass center tank. The ethanol gas is no joke; when I had the boat in NY the ethanol destroyed everything in the fuel system from the tank to the carbs. It melted parts of the Racor filters, allowing gas to spray onto the seawater pump pulley while the engine was running (scariest thing that's happened to me in 50+ years of boating). It will destroy your engines if you do not replace the glass tank. If you live in a place where marine gas does not have ethanol the tank will last forever.
Crusaders are small block chevys, parts are available everywhere. Don't be afraid to ask questions; these guys know everything about these boats!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Charley

Welcome to the Sandbox.

The guys are right ethanol will destroy the tank in a heart beat. The tank will begin to dissolve and then as the engines cool down after running the gunk from the tank breaking down solidifies around the valves. Basically destroys the engine.

Advice is if you can not find ethanol free gas, the tank has to go.

The saddle tanks are after market. I would assume they are no more than 25 to 30 gallons apiece. That was a pretty standard size if they go under the gunnels.

I believe a couple of the members have repaced the original tank and increased the size slightly to gain more range. You just have to make sure you don't carry the additional tankage too far to the stern.

Good luck with her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Mine is a 73 28.
No matter how hard I try, I cannot fit more than 530 liters in the tank, from bone dry to spilling over.
Translated into usg, this gives 140 usg.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

i have a 1986 28 do not use the original ffiberglass fuel tank with the ethanol fuel i replaced mine with a aluminum tank ethanol will dissolve fiberglass and it will ruin your engines side tanks were not a factory item on the 28