spray rails

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill P

spray rails

Post by Bill P »

Has anyone install spray rails on their 31, if so what do you think, do they work?

Bill
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

There was quite a bit of discussion a few months ago on the B33 forum about these.. as I recall several owners were interested, but they were all waiting for someone else to install them and report back on how useful they were. One major point (other than what seemed to be a rather high price) was that they are adhered to the hull with no fastenings through it, and the manufacturer admitted that if they were not installed properly they could let go. apparently not a do-it-yourself item.
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Frank you're thinking about the "Smart Rails," which give the boat's ass some additional lift at plane. The spray rails are to keep the ride on the those cute little B31's dry... we don't have that problem.

Probably going to pay for that comment
JP Miller

spray rails

Post by JP Miller »

I have put them on my 31 during the renovation. Boat is still a long way from hitting the H2O. They look great and I believe will help greatly with the bow spray. If you decide to do it, I can give pics and some advice. It looks like I did not use enough fasteners.
jp
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

They may help in certian conditions but their wet boats in a sea. Mine sprays like a fire hose.
Bill P

SPRAY RAILS

Post by Bill P »

JP

That would be great if you did e-mail me those picture's.
I'm going to be pulling it out of the water in about 2 or 3 month's to do some work on it.

thank you
Bill
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thanks Sean..

I assumed spray rails and "Smart Rails" were the same thing. But don't worry about anyone here dinging you about your post.. they are all very civilized here.. heck, they only post an anti sailboat comment here about once every 3-4 weeks!
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I can't imagine spray rails getting these things much drier. We have low little boats that suffer from being low little boats. If you make to big a spray rail you end up with hard riding low little boats. Better wet and comfy then dry and beaten.
Heck if you listen to the old timers talk about trolling giants you'd never put a spray rail on any boat. "Makes to much noise with all that white water getting knocked down, the boat should slip through the water without a ripple."
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

JP, amen.

UV
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Bill,

The SmartRail is one of the best things I have done to my 31. Helps a little in heavy seas, but really cuts down on the spray in light to moderate seas. I only have them about 1/3 the way back since I wanted to help cut the spray and wasn't worried about rear lift.

Dan
Bill P

Post by Bill P »

Dan

Do you have picture's of were you had placed them?

Bill
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

I started at the bow and used one full kit and one half kit. If I remember correctly this should give me 15' of rail on each side. Like with most things prep is extreamly important! My full kit has been on for about 7 years. I added the half kit in the spring of 04. Everything is still super tight. He only makes two styles I used the style for boats with a hard chine. The rail mounts right at the chine.