Winter Work Pictures

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

moguls2go

Winter Work Pictures

Post by moguls2go »

Work is well under way on our '73 FBC. We found that the bulkhead aft of the engines was rotted to the point of requiring replacement (rather than scarfing in new material in spots). We also had a valve stem job on the engines, so those two jobs combined meant the deck came out to save time. Of course, that led to more issues being uncovered- like some rot in the deck supports. In the next few weeks all this will be completed and the deck will be re-installed, at which point we'll take a closer look at the best use of our remaining budget. I'm hoping we can get some type of shelter on the bridge, along with painting our windshield frames & sealing those windows as tightly as possible. We're having Great Island Boat Yard do the work, which has been a great experience to date. I wish I had the time available to do this stuff myself, but a job, wife, and two kids are the perennial winners of the time battle... many of you know how that goes! Anyway, here are a few pictures of where things stand (and a blog post the yard put together here: http://www.greatislandboatyard.com/upda ... ertram-31/

Max
Tony Meola

Re: Winter Work Pictures

Post by Tony Meola »

Looks familiar.

Unfortunately, that is what happens on an older boat. Open up the deck and you go wow.

That bulk head goes on all of them. I replaced mine with Coosa to eliminate the issue. Good luck. You will be happey when you are done.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bob,
I did the same project back in 2009 on my 1961 express after finding some rot in my rudder tables, I replaced my supports with white oak full 1' x 8" soaked for 3 days in thinned epoxy resin after all the cuts and holes were drilled. I used a section of 10" x12' PVC gas pipe I found laying in the road for a through. I should have used Coosa board but the old wood lasted 45 years and I didn't feel like driving to Miami to get Coosa.
I also replaced all the uprights that held the deck supports to the stringers, be careful if you replace the uprights because the lip for the FRP gas tank are the same height as the bottom holes in the supports. That plastic tank is the waste holding tank I presume. What is the black box on the Port stringer used for? While your at it check the bulkhead under the cabin door they usually go away after years of water dripping down from above. Check the condition of the aft cleat wood backing plate I replaced mine after 48 years of service they were starting to split9 They are oak if I remember correctly. Winter work in New England has slowed down to nothing due to the cold weather -5 below last night and going to 12 for a high today. Are you still working as a fire fighter? Happy New Year,
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bean there, done that got the t-shirt.

I started by trying to cob a repair, but soon found out it's easier to just replace it all and be done with it and never have to remove deck again. Unfortunately soon after I found out the fiberglass tank was being compromised by ethanol leaching out the tanks resin and up the floor came again along with all the floor supports I glass in permanent. But so it goes...

Good luck with refit, hope it continues to go smooth for you and your yard.

Carl
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Pete Fallon wrote:Bob,
That plastic tank is the waste holding tank I presume. Pete Fallon
Correct
Pete Fallon wrote:What is the black box on the Port stringer used for? Pete Fallon
It's a subwoofer for the stereo system installed by the previous owner
Pete Fallon wrote:While your at it check the bulkhead under the cabin door they usually go away after years of water dripping down from above.Pete Fallon
Yup, that's being replaced too
Pete Fallon wrote:Winter work in New England has slowed down to nothing due to the cold weather -5 below last night and going to 12 for a high today. Are you still working as a fire fighter? Happy New Year,
Pete Fallon
I think you have me mixed up for someone else... not a firefighter, but I AM dealing with this ridiculous New England weather! Brrrr....
Max
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Moguls2go,
Sorry I did get you mixed up with the fellow that bought Dave Meecham's Express out of Newburyport Ma. Your the fellow from New Hampshire am I correct. Anyway have a Happy New Year and keep up the good work on your boat.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Pete - this is Dave's old boat. To warm you up, this is her on a mooring in Nantucket this past summer. Right now, she's in a heated building having in-depth maintenance on the Yanmars, then moving shortly to the paint building for a cockpit rejuvination with two-tone paint. If they finish before February, she'll be brought home to our barn for a few cosmetic items before splashing in April. I've since retired as an active volunteer firefighter, but still teach some as a CT Fire Service Instructor. Most importantly, I still have Booster, the real Dalmatian, who the boat is named after. Keep warm! Image
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express