Cockpit Deck/Fishbox Layout

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Cockpit Deck/Fishbox Layout

Post by JohnV8r »

Guys,

Fuel tank is in. The old deck support is in the photo because I used it for layout purposes.

I used a couple of scrap sheets of plywood to cut templates for the cockpit deck. Started by laying out what would be a three hatch layout, but then started leaning more toward this layout:

Is there any reason why I would not want to have long fishbox hatches with two small hatches above the thru hulls/stuffing boxes? If not, what is the best way to hinge the long hatches? I've seen both piano hinges and Perko style hinges used.

Thanks!

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
thuddddddd

Re: Cockpit Deck/Fishbox Layout

Post by thuddddddd »

I would think as much easy access to the stuffing boxes and thru hulls, as you can get would be a benifit..... I'm trying to figure out where to put them on the new deck of the baby hatt
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Nice layout. If you can recess the hinges personally I would go with 3 hinges over the piano hinge. Actually if it exists a hinge that would allow you to take off the hatch without unscrewing every thing would be perfect.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I didn't put a small hatch in front of the long fish box hatch, made a long hatch that would allow big removable fish boxes . When the fish boxes are removed, u can lay in that area and service the drip less rudder post or the drip less shaft logs in my boat, keep it functional and easy
El Dorado

Post by El Dorado »

Marlin, do your fish boxes hang from the drain edges like the Capt's? I'm considering making a cradle to hold self contained boxes so the hatches are independent. Anyone else made them separate?
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

My fish box hatches were teak laid up over 1/2" coosa, the deck itself was teak laid up over coosa and I left a 1/2-34" shelf for the hatches to seat on, the hatches were available attached to the deck with maybe 4-5 hinges that were routed flush with both surfaces,the fish boxes themselves were easily removable for cleaning, running gear servicing. Maybe some of these images will be posted soon, I sent a bunch to someone else that requested similar info,I'm challenged as how to send stuff on this site,
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

I'll have the deck pics up this weekend. I'm out of town on business.
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Here is the group of Marlin's outstanding photos on the templating he did for Wahoo's teak cockpit deck. I'm going to attempt to group them by subcategory. Thanks Marlin for taking the time to put these together and send them to me!

JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Group 2

JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Group 3

JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Group 4

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Those are great.

Marlin put a lot of thought and work into that deck.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Marlin,

What if anything did you use for gutters on the cockpit hatches? It looks like the deck supports are right up under where the hatch would close.

Thanks,

JohnV8r
John F.

Post by John F. »

Wow. That's real talent and skill on display.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I don't recall the deck gutter design but there was a system,been a while since I did this,I'll get more pics soon, had the boat pulled out of the air condition storage today ,she has been in for 3 years. All the door skin pieces were initially used to create the osb 3 separate pattern deck pieces but then were really used as traceable patterns to create all the sculpted corners, I called the Capt daily for his imput, I had never done this type wood working before
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

What are the options out there for a cockpit deck with fish boxes?

Just two?
1. Custom fabrication or
2. Cabrera?

Does anyone have a Cabrera deck and do you like it?
I seem to recall you have to change out the engine boxes when going with their deck. True?
Any idea of cost comparison between a custom deck and a Cabrera?

I have what I believe is an old Glass Tech deck. I would like to have long fish boxes.
The original cutouts seem to be simply for access to mechanical devices.
I would like to take advantage of some storage and already have the mufflers outside the stringers.

Marlin,
Did you do this yourself? Or did you have a carpenter here locally?
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... ck#p110922

Steve

If you use the search function you will find many links to discussions. I have attached one above.

One of the biggest issues with the old links, is that everyone was using Photo Bucket so all the Pictures are gone.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

All the carpentry type work was done by me, you may notice the exquisite radius ing tools I used, keep it simple was and still is my operating method,Home Depot was my friend during the templating process, made almost every piece out of disposable inexpensive wood, lots of hot glue to temporarily fix the pieces in place, saved every acceptable piece, lots of images before cell phone cameras. This carpentry is different than building a house, there is not one square thing in a boat, lots of fitting to make pieces fit, don't hurry!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Marlin, that's amazing that you did this yourself. I don't think I could afford your hourly rate! LOL
Is the boat nearby and out of storage? I'd love to go take a look in person.
I'm down the street from you just over the inlet bridge, take your first right on Island Drive if you ever wish to come by and see the new digs.
Larry made us our new dock and Curtis did the lift.
Steve Marinak
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Tony
Thanks for posting the links. That 2nd link with Patrick's images would be ideal. Looks like my same deck beforehand.
Steve Marinak
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Steve , haven't heard from u in a while, my 62 is supposedly headed to hope town, reserved a dock at marsh harbor for dec/Jan , never fished there before, currently having exhaust pipe issues, flying new stuff to Freeport tommorow , hoping to fish matenela on Saturday for the wahoo bite. I think I saw your boat at murrelles awhile back, my 42' is on the lift behind my house and hopefully the 31' will be next to it on a lift, painted the 42' same color as the Wahoo, don't get confused if u cruise by stop and say hello
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'll be over in Hope Town December 11 for a week. Would love to see your boat in the water and I can show you around the island if you'd like. You probably recall I have a house there. Give us a shout, you may have kept my cell phone number, or drum us up on VHF Ch 65; house name "Kon Tiki". I've got a dock next to Tahiti Beach with Power and Water now if you need to swing in for the day. You may consider a slip at Seaspray Resort or Hope Town Inn & Marina. That way you're IN Hope Town and not Marsh Harbour.

I'll try to motor by and figure out which house is yours in Manalapan.

Yep, I was at Murrelle having the bottom painted a few months back prior to putting her on the lift here at the house. Able to spend more time with the boat now, which is nice.
Steve Marinak
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

She still looks original,fresh water Boat!
spencer

Post by spencer »

Steve ,
I have a Cabrera kit that is installed
U can look at if u like , it’s in Boca
On a trailer / the full kit / deck supports
fish boxes / between the engines and engine boxes
Let me know

Spencer
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i through that photo of my cockpit deck was lost due to Photobucket? thank you tony now we can refer to this photo for explanation. i use 6' long 316 SS hinges for the entire length of each hatch, however, knowing that the hatches would be abused every day i drill each hinge screw hole oversize and filled with 50/50 mix of silica and high-density filler then mounted the hinges forever and ever. notice the combination interlock between Coosa board and Azek drain backs on both port and starboard side of cockpit these are recessed from the cockpit by 1/4" allowing all water on deck to be directed to 2" scupper box on inside of transom this Leeds to SS scuppers.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

using Marlin`s fish boxes as a reference i even notch the drop in fish boxes to gain a few inches as it goes over the rear of kevlar shaft log so this is the absolute longest hatches you can install in a 31 Bertram. the hatches in front of fish box hatches hold Racor on starboard and port is filled with Raccor and saltwater manifold to supply generator, portable live well pump, high-pressure washdown pump .all feed from common 1 1/2 " thru hull with ball valve (so i only have one thru hull for all devices) each take off has a filter and ball valve.all fittings in Bronze and 100% accessible. you separate hatches because one is for fish, storage the small hatches are strictly access to filters, pumps.as far as the hinge strength i assure you 48 screws embedded in epoxy for one 6' piano hinge on one box is 10 times stronger than any pair of hinges depending on 3/4" Coosa not to loosen.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473