CIRCULATING ENGINE BLOCK HEATERS

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

THESALTYSATO

CIRCULATING ENGINE BLOCK HEATERS

Post by THESALTYSATO »

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH CIRCULATING ENGINE BLOCK HEATERS FOR YANMAR 6LP"S?
THANKS
Tony Meola

Re: CIRCULATING ENGINE BLOCK HEATERS

Post by Tony Meola »

https://wolverineheater.com/collections/watercraft

I believe most use the Wolverine heater that attaches to the oil pan.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony you are much better off with a cummins block heater insert.750 watt/240 volt due to the fact you will operate on 120 volt it will last many years,i have mine operating 365 days a year for 11 years. remember 100 years ago when we were in college and learn all about capillary action well thats whats happening in the block. insert is placed in threaded hole in bottom of block and thru the capillary action circulates the anti freeze thru out the block evenly..5 degrees out engine is warm to touch.no moisture/no rust what not to like!!!!! heating pad warms oil in pan only. yamaha must use freeze out plug location a little more complicated bit doable.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

I have the Cummins heaters in mine also.

There are pros and cons to both. The big issue with the wolverine is getting to the bottom of the oil pan.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Bob
the yanmar dealer in my area suggested the Kim hotstart brand. from what he said it will keep the freshwater warm at a relative constant temperature. Thus the engine and oil are always warm for easy winter starts as well as there should not be any sweating on the engine thus reducing rust. Also I have my boat on a lift so I do not have the sea water temperature helping to keep the engine and bilge warm. Your thoughts on this or anyone else. Also has anyone else used the Hotstart brand with success or had problems. Thanks
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i use that brand on big block yanmar (370 hp" works well . it is inserted in water jacket of block and keeps the engine coolant warm thus the entire engine is warm to touch but most of all no moisture------no rust,corrosion. this is what i use in my engines looks like the day i installed in 2007.a cummins part number but this block heater does the same thing. a little trick for longivity is to purchase 240 volt model or european 250 volt model then run on 120 volts and the 750 watt unit will last forever.the exhaust manifold is the only part that will rust due to regular enamal paint peeling off due to heat ,i spray with engine heat paint.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Bob
thanks again for the prompt response and your ideas. I have called the dealer and he is ordering them for me. thanks again and Merry Christmas
john
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

anything i can help you with just say the word.===========merry christmas
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:anything i can help you with just say the word.===========merry christmas

Hey hey hey...I still have a fridge full of Turkey, we didn't even get into December yet. I know stores are decorated and pushing, then the Christmas music already on the radio...but hey, lets not rush the season here too.

LOL
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Bob
if you have any photos of your Bert- would like to see them if available
thanks again for your help
john
email
johntstanley@bellsouth.net
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

IF ANYONE IS LOOKING AT ENGINE BLOCK HEATERS. I recently installed the Kim Hotstart heaters on my Bert 31. I have Yanmar 6lp"s 315 hp. These heaters are wonderful. The thermostat is set at 100-120 degrees and my engines are not only toasty but dry and also the entire engine box area stays warm. Today our temp was 32 degrees outside with a chill factor of 15 and my boat is on a lift. I used a thermo tester all over the engine compartment and it was anywhere from 40-50 degrees. If you want a worry free warm engine and compartment these are great block heaters and Bob was right.
russell pagels

Post by russell pagels »

Bob, do you have a mfg part number or name for the block heaters for the Cummins eng. thanks Russ
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Folks, is this what you are using?

Thermosiphon vs. Hotflow (circulation pump)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... fbqh7X9Ozs

(can't seem to embed the vid)

If so, the part numbers I got from HOTSTART (for an engine the size of the Yanmar 6LP) are:

Thermosiphon: TPS101GT10-000 https://www.amazon.com/KIM-HOTSTART-ENG ... B017I5OQ9K

HOTFLOW: CTM10110-N00 https://www.amazon.com/KIM-HOTSTART-ENG ... B017I5OQ9K
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

THE KIM HOTSTART Thermosiphon(TPS101GT10-000) is the heater I used . We also put a separate circuit breaker for each engine as well as a separate ground fault receptacle for each breaker for each engine comaprtment. They pull about 8-10 amps per heater so if you have a 30 amp panel as I have it does not leave much extra. Also my boat is on a lift so I have a small thermostatically controlled heater set at 45 degrees in the cabin at 500 watts(about 4 amps pull). Any positive or negative thoughts on this setup would be appreciated.
thanks
THE SALTY SATO