Replacing this bracket

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stuart Cooperrider

Replacing this bracket

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

Attached is a pic of the bracket similar to what I want to replace. The bracket I need to replace is just aft of the port engine ( on the inboard side and joins a cross member with a stringer. If something similar exists please send me to the source. Or suggest an alternative. It's pretty heavy duty. Thanks in advance.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqdippm6o3ov7 ... t.jpg?dl=0
Tony Meola

Re: Replacing this bracket

Post by Tony Meola »

Stuart

That is just angle iron. You will probably will not find the exact size you need and may need to cut a piece down to fit what you are looking for. If you have a machine shop in your area, you can remove the one that is there and take it to them and they can make one up pretty easily for you. Including the holes for the bolts.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

You can also use the fiberglass structural angle from McMaster Carr or aluminum angle if you want something that won't rust.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Stuart Cooperrider

Thanks, Tony and Rawleigh. I'll explore both. Have to admit I didnt know about McMaster Carr. Lord, it's a great site even for someone like me whose world is so far from anything even remotely industrial.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

And if you order it today, you will have it in your hand tomorrow. I placed an order at 6:00pm on day and had it in hand by UPS at 11 am the next day with standard ground shipping. I understand they have a UPS hub built into their warehouse.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
John F.

Post by John F. »

The McMaster Carr angle is good and I've used it for a number of things. No where near as strong as angle iron though.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Carl

Post by Carl »

John F. wrote:The McMaster Carr angle is good and I've used it for a number of things. No where near as strong as angle iron though.

Ummm John--- McMaster sells Angle Bar in Steel, Alum, SS, rubber, plastic, fiberglass, electrically insulating fiberglass and most likely a bunch of other iterations.
Granted more then few shorts is going to cost more then going direct to a supply house...but they have shorts and no minimums plus its all next day more often then not.
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Got to believe if u replace with comparable dimension aluminum , it should be structurally compatible . One thing I always do when I drill into aluminum, I amply apply a product called Ted Gel, it's a great way to protect the exposed surface that was just compromised from any anodizing,thisvstuff last for years,a bit expensive but it will be used in numerous other applications!
John F.

Post by John F. »

.[/quote]

Ummm John--- McMaster sells Angle Bar in Steel, Alum, SS, rubber, plastic, fiberglass, electrically insulating fiberglass and most likely a bunch of other iterations.
Granted more then few shorts is going to cost more then going direct to a supply house...but they have shorts and no minimums plus its all next day more often then not.[/quote]

Carl-

I was referring to the green fiberglass angle that Mcmaster sells that Rawleigh referenced in his post. It cuts well on a chop saw, but if you flex it, it'll break. It's great stuff, and I've used it a bunch of times for angle brackets, but it has its limitations as far as strength.

John
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

For this bracket---would stainless be suitable---mine are pretty rusty and always had intentions to replace with stainless.
Carl

Post by Carl »

John F. wrote: Carl-

I was referring to the green fiberglass angle that Mcmaster sells that Rawleigh referenced in his post. It cuts well on a chop saw, but if you flex it, it'll break. It's great stuff, and I've used it a bunch of times for angle brackets, but it has its limitations as far as strength.

John

Sorry, I thought you were implying McMaster Carr only had fiberglass material on hand. Your right the fiberglass angle is great for certain applications...I used for deck supports to replace the old oak uprights. I'd also agree the fiberglass angles have limitations, I'd take a pass on using to tie in a stringer to bulkhead. At least that's what picture looks like.

Craig Mac wrote:For this bracket---would stainless be suitable---mine are pretty rusty and always had intentions to replace with stainless.

I'd say SS is overkill compared to the ease of working with aluminum angle, but cannot see why SS would not work.
For Alum I'd go up a size, SS could be kept the same thickness as steel.
Stuart Cooperrider

The dimensions of the existing bracket is 4" long (measured lengthwise) with each side 2" high. It is 5/8 thick. The thickest McMaster offers in the aluminum appears to be 1/4" which I imagine would work fine.
There are several grade selections that looks appropriate. I'm leaning towards to Marine grade. If anyone has an opinion, please advise. I'll buy their minimum ( a foot).
Thanks again for leading me to their site.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Stewart

If you have a fuel tank builder in your area they might be able to make you the bracket in 5/8.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

And if you want an easy fix, boat trailer supply places usually have a bunch of different galvanized brackets that'll work.

John

Carl--totally cool. We're all Bertram brothers anyway