Eiremar Repower Progress - Exhaust System

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Vince Luciani

Eiremar Repower Progress - Exhaust System

Post by Vince Luciani »

Hello everyone,

Here is another progress report on my repower. I installed most of the exhaust system over the weekend. The custom risers from Tony Athens fit perfectly. They did nice work! I don’t know if everyone remembers my posts about fitting the engines without modifying the engine boxes. I was really worried about the fit and many of you assured me that they would fit. I am happy to say that you were all right!

I plan to custom fabricate surge tubes for connecting the risers to my exhaust hose. I probably will run this year without mufflers (only straight 6” hose). I plan to install flappers on my new exhaust tips. I think between the flappers, surge tube and extra height above the waterline provided by the custom exhaust I am protected against surge backflow. If the noise is really bad, I will install low profile mufflers next season.

I felt as though the exhaust installation was the last major element of the repower that could reach up and bite me, but everything went really well. I feel like I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now. I have a question regarding the linkages to the transmissions, but I will address it in a separate post.

Thanks again for everyone’s help. Here are some pictures

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

way to go vince absolutly perfect but given a choice between surge tube or muffler take the mini max muffler you get " your cake and eat it"so to speak. quieter and that muffler will stop any surge and does not take up needed room in the engine compartment. use that surge tube area on the starboard side for the waste holding tank.try to get every ounce you can aft. of the bulkhead.again nice work.-bob
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Thanks Bob. Is the "mini max" muffler the one you installed? Who makes that muffler? Centex? I think I can squeeze a 12" diameter muffler under my deck, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your input. Your installation gave me a lot of confidence going forward with my ideas.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes i used the 6" mini max muffler it has a solid round fiberglass circle tabbed internally allowing a very small amound of water to flow in the opposite direction even on a panic backdown.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nice job.

Is the Crossover / Riser / Transition dry?
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Yes the dull stainless is the dry portion and it will be covered with a heat shield wrap. The shinny portion is the mixing elbow where the water is injected. Rubber or fiberglass is OK after the mixing elbow.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Vince: How much?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thanks Vince, that does make fabrication a whole lot less complex while keeping weight down, I like it.
Carl
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Rawleigh,

$4,500 for both complete with all hoses, supports, insulation wraps, etc. Tony sends you a couple of diagrams to complete with your specific measurements. I emailed him many pictures from all angles. I have to say that I was worried about the fit right up to the time I bolted them on, but I couldn't be happier now.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Tony did my port crossover, like yours, and it fit like it was made for it. Beautiful work.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Mikey,

I agree! Tony made it easy. Even the packaging was first class. Everything was encapsulated in expandable foam.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

vince here i am struggling with my cockpit window installation.i made 1/4 round out of azak for the edging around the window -----labor intensive ,had to use heat gun to match window contour then stainless brads to hold in place.keep the stock windows!!!!!!
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Bob,

This year I'm doing only mechanical upgrades. Next year(s) will be the cosmetics. As much as I enjoy working on the boat, I love to fish and once the repower is complete, I'll be fishing. I know a lot of guys take off a year or two and complete the entire restoration in one shot. It probably makes more sense that way, but that won't be me!

I appreciate the advice and feedback! I'll keep the photos coming.

Thanks,

Vince
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Vince,
After five years of putzing around and dealing with medicos I decided to take the year off and get'er done. Right choice, except . . . my wife saw what I was doing and is doing the same thing without a project. Wonder if I could get her to work on the Dreamsicle?
Need to figure out the process for posting pix through the bucket or what ever so others can profit from my process.
Agree on the packaging from Tony, almost hated to throw it away, except that every box that goes out empty is a box load closer to splash.
Get'er done
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

vince i move the fuel and holding tank vents to the port and starboard stern as you can see,eliminating any thru hull on the sides.
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Bob,

Nice stuff! I seem to remember a post saying that you are doing all your work yourself. When is your projected completion date?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bob,
Nice paint job. Even see the photographer.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Looking VERY good Bob! Walter
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have done every single task on this boat myself.i did not paint the boat and feel it is inpossible to control condition painting outside.you name it bugs,dust dew,rain,fog,temperature and some jerk driving in the parking lot kicking up dust all over the top coat on the trasom.i took it to a pro.(rybo marine)who painted it in a booth.i should put a a number system 1 to 10 on the differculty of each task.i could have put 4 sets of cummins in a 31 conpared to the time spent on the windows.the boat is ready to go it is just the window and the door from hell thats preventing the boat from splashing i have allready tested it.another reminder the door is made with small blocks if you cut a larger window in the door there will be no bottom support.you will have to cut a exact thickness piece and insert it to reinforce the door.if you router a rabit in the back of the door to accept the 1/4" glass you have to repair 30 slots in the wood, none of the door is solid!!! better off making the door from scratch.vince,mickey i "rearrange " the plumbing at the fuel return plate.very important you do it right the first time if i could be a little more explicit. the fuel fill street 90 degree fitting must come out last but go in first.i will post a detail picture of the entire fuel system this weekend.the first key to preformance is giving those cummins good fuel flow and cold air.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bruce,
Hope I didn't screw the pooch. It is Alfagomma, rated by Lloyd's. Appears to be the good stuff. Not seconds.
If not I'd like to know before I cut it up to fit.
Thanks, I think.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mikey,

Alfagomma is a good name for the type of hoses that they produce, but I wasn't aware that they made marine wet exhaust hose... Much of their product line is for hydraulics. Is the hose labeled "Wet Exhaust" or similar?

Br,

Patrick
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you walterk for me it alot easier building a bert than wipping up those fine recipes of yours.i envy anybody who take a routine menu a create a meal to die for. bobby flay type of meal.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Sweet Bob!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

Vince,

I just saw that you are from Rehobeth Beach. My father has a 31 Bahia Mar at Indian River inlet state marina named "Priceless". Where do you plan on keeping the boat? Good luck on the rest of the project she looks like she is coming along nicely. There is nothing like a 30+ knot cruise in one of these boats it makes a permanent smile on your face.

Chris
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Patrick,
Yes in deed. The model # is T-600.
We'll see.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein