Mooring Whips

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bbtiller

Mooring Whips

Post by bbtiller »

Does anyone have experience with and or recommendations for mooring whips for our 31s? Tying up on my floating dock where we have quite a bit of small boat traffic.
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
Marlin

Re: Mooring Whips

Post by Marlin »

Mooring whips are ment to exert -horizont force to keep the boat away from the dock,simple enough,but many don't set them up that way. If u are going to moor your boat on its strb side, the stern whip line should be secured to the Strb cleat and the line pulled tight to be parrelle with the water when pulled, this keeps the boat off the mooring ,not lifting it upward as if u had secured the whip line to the port or outer cleat. It's necessary to have a pulley attached to the end of the whip so u can easily pull the whip line in toward u and secure to a cleat on the whip shaft. This also allows easy entrance /exiting as u can pull the boat away after u are off
Tony Meola

Re: Mooring Whips

Post by Tony Meola »

My friend has them on his 28. They seem to work well for him. Even in a good blow my boat really sits there nicely and does not bang so I don't use them. I sit broadside to the dock, and most of my rocking if it is coming is from one or two of the guys on the lagoon who just cant seem to slow their outboards down until they are about to dock.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315