Cummins ?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. DQ

Cummins ?

Post by Capt. DQ »

Do I need to install a anti-siphon valve between the fuel tank and engine on the 250hp 6bta?

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Doug, No. The Racors have check valves in them, and if your fuel system is tight, even without the Racor check valves you won't get any bleed down. Rule of thumb is the 250s start on about the first or second starter rev if the weather is halfway warm. Keep it simple...

UV
Capt. Mike Holmes

Cummins?

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Doug, when I had the 500 series Racors, I had problems with fuel going back to the tanks. I had ball valves on both sides of the Racors, but if I let the engines sit very long without closing those valves, I had to bleed the system again to start them. I tried additional check valves, but they were prone to either stick, or not open correctly. When I switched to 900 series Racors, I also ran the return lines to at least mid tank level, instead of having them just dump in the top of the tank. Between these two steps, the problem has gone completely away - could have just been leaks in the opriginal Racors?
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

I bought Tony Athens duel stage filtration system with vacum gauges and the fleetguard filters that have the drains in the bottom. Also have install Algae-x units before the filters and also have Walbro 12v pumps.

I installed them ahead of the algae-x units where I can turn the valves to activated them if I ever need them in the loop to prime things up to the filters. But the return lines are just dumping in the top of the tank right along with Genset.

Also have the (2) Walbro 12v pumps to transfer fuel from the saddle tanks to the main tank on a 30 minute timer or less as needed. But have total 300 gal. capacity of fuel for those 2-day Billfish trips if needed. I think I have it coverd I hope. I'am hoping to splash the Short Circuit by May 18th after almost 3-yrs of being on the hill. Going to be some R&C drinking going on then, but no moon pies.

Capt. Mike, I will be sending those elbows back to you with a check for the shipping charge for sending them to me, I made the exhaust work without them, Thanks,

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Capt. Mike Holmes

Cummins

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Doug, forgot to mention I have the Walbro pumps between my Racors and the mechanical lift pumps (Algae-x units are in front of the Racors).

Sorry you couldn't use the elbows.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."