QSB Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

moguls2go

QSB Question

Post by moguls2go »

Looking for input on the Cummins 380 QSB. For those of you who have these motors... is this a 5.9L or 6.7L? I see both listed various places online and can't understand the difference.

Also, I heard a pair of Yanmar 370 hp 8LVs run in a Hinckley 38R... couldn't believe how quiet they are. I know some on the board have expresses misgivings about the 8LV, starting with the block's history as the Landcruiser block. My question for anyone familiar with both: how much louder are the QSBs compared to the Yanmars?
Max
Capt.Frank

Re: QSB Question

Post by Capt.Frank »

Jimmy G is running QSB in Killer Instinct he loves them. He's the one to ask questions
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

As John said send Jimmy a PM.

Not sure what he actually did with the engine install but I know he can top out at close to 40 knots. He told me she stays stable and does not Chinese walk.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I installed QSB 330,s based o input from Cummings support people, the 380,s had a reputation in this application to chine walk, Capt talked me out of the greater horse power, on decent days I cruise at 32knots with reasonable steering control,she gets squirly at wide open throttle and will not turn/respond to adjusting the course
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Marlin wrote:I installed QSB 330,s based o input from Cummings support people, the 380,s had a reputation in this application to chine walk, Capt talked me out of the greater horse power, on decent days I cruise at 32knots with reasonable steering control,she gets squirly at wide open throttle and will not turn/respond to adjusting the course
Marlin

You would have had to shift a lot of the weight further aft to stop the Chine walk. Not sure if Jimmy changed the shaft angle or not. I know Bob Lilco did for his.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

honest to GOD at 32 knots i could fall a sleep at the wheel (and have) smooth as a BMW on highway and turn on a dime. at 32 she`s riding on inside strakes with water breaking 6" past (to the stern ) where pillars meet gunwhale. the entire from this point forward to bow is out of water so inside strakes and oversize rudders guide the boat, 0 chine walk. wish i was there to help . you on on the ball tony!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473