am I OK?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Chanse

am I OK?

Post by Chanse »

I think I got a problem? Have a private dock, and fuel by a old pre-ethanol built 25 gal fuel caddy that I fill at a local station and use premium non-ethanol. I always test it to be sure.
Son-in-law has a new chris w/twin merc 350’s that hes keeping at the dock. Anyway he had a tank 75 gal? To fill his boat and 2 Sea-Dos. Well he used my old plastic fuel caddy and left 2 or 3 gals in it. I thought the gas stunk and tested it and it positively is ethanol. I figure its been in the caddy about 2 weeks or a bit more. The big question is could the ethanol in that length of time eaten into the plastic and could it of had suspended plastic in it? I dumped the ethonal gas but stupidly filled the caddy w/25 gals non-ethanol and put in in my boat. Now I’m having a anxiety attack and going ape chit. Answers opinions greatly appreciated.
Tony Meola

Re: am I OK?

Post by Tony Meola »

The ethanol should not bother the plastic in the same way it attacks fiberglass tanks.

It might cause the tank to crack over time but I doubt it would dissolve the tank. Besides, just look inside the tank, if it looked gummy like it was starting to get eaten away, then I would say you might need to worry.

At the end of the day, it probably would not have been enough plastic to do anything anyway.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Ethanol probably dissolved the old gum and varnish residue from the old tank caddy giving you that foul odor.

From my understanding the issue I had, as did many others, the ethanol broke down the resin in Fiberglass tanks going into solution. From intake to valves that resin gummed up and hardened causing havoc. Plastic tanks to my knowledge are fine with ethanol...as far as being dissolved anyway. I'd also go as far as to say I doubt the little remaining residue from old fuel in a 25 gallon mix would cause you much issue even if it was a fiberglass tank.

Going one step further...I went from not being able to run off my fiberglass tank to sticking hose into Jerry jugs of fresh fuel and motors came back on one short run...so put this behind you and make sure you E-Free Tank stays E-Free moving forward.

Carl
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

Carl, Tony, Thanks for your knowledge and taking the time to respond. Tossing the old fuel caddy just in case and getting a new steel one w/pump and not loaning it out. That should do it I hope.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steel, I hope you mean either aluminum or stainless.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Steel, I hope you mean either aluminum or stainless.

A Steel caddy to transport fuel to the boat Tony...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl wrote:A Steel caddy to transport fuel to the boat Tony...
Yep, I understood that. But leave ethanol in it for any duration and it will be history in no time. I would be afraid of internal rusting.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

Yea, I don't like the idea of steel, think I'll stay with the old 25 gal plastic one. I always test the gas before putting any in it so should be OK.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Yep, I understood that. But leave ethanol in it for any duration and it will be history in no time. I would be afraid of internal rusting.

My understanding is ethanol is fine in steel holding vessels...however not so swift in alum when over 10% which can also happen if there is phase separation due to high water absorption.

BUT in either case, as this fuel is to be "E-Free" for the boat it will not have ethanol and steel tank would be okay...although I'd prefer non-sparking material when playing with fuel.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

They tell us it is E 10 but actually it could be more or less. The ethanol is added at the distribution point. For most of us in the NE Tri state area that is Bayway, right across from you. If the guy doing the mixing is not setting things up right at that point it can be more or less.

Why in this day and age of computers this should happen I have no idea but I got that right from the horses mouth.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Carl

They tell us it is E 10 but actually it could be more or less. The ethanol is added at the distribution point. For most of us in the NE Tri state area that is Bayway, right across from you. If the guy doing the mixing is not setting things up right at that point it can be more or less.

Why in this day and age of computers this should happen I have no idea but I got that right from the horses mouth.

Tony you are correct, common pipeline to each distributor where they each add their octane boost/fuel treatment recipes plus ethanol, supposedly up to 10% max for E10. Sometimes they get it wrong.

Friend/customer of mine used to run a distribution center in years gone bye, and he was the one who put the nail in the coffin on me trying to keep the fiberglass tank. At that point one fuel dock around here was offering Ethanol Free fuel, but 12 miles from my dock. I figured I could run over when I got light, go for dinner/lunch...would be almost free with fuel saving in Jersey at that time...or just run in when fishing over there. Its where I fueled up most times anyway. BUT, then I was told thats a bad idea...sometimes trucks get wrong additives and I might wind up with Ethanol in tank...or IF I tested and found Ethanol...what do I do then? Can't take on E Fuel- boat would be crapping out on way home...or don't take on fuel and not have enough fuel to get home.

AnYWaY- Chanse is filling up at his private dock. He is testing fuel before he accepts it in his portable tank or shortly thereafter...so no ethanol or only for a short time. AND if ethanol level was higher then 10%...I think having it in an Aluminum tank would be worse then steel at that point. Yeah, I have Alum tank in my boat....I am not happy about that.

As to computers making the wrong mix...My gut tells me the computers rarely get it wrong. Dealing with automated equipment day in and day out...usually when something goes wrong it can usually be traced back to human error. Computers- garbage in- garbage out.
Big problem with computer automation is that it is always so right, people assume and get lax then stop checking...