28 foot barons?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ford351c594

28 foot barons?

Post by ford351c594 »

How many were made and what would the value of one be in moderately poor shape? Nothing rotten, no engines, original out drives.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
ford351c594

Re: 28 foot barons?

Post by ford351c594 »

I know they are pretty rare, but I may be able to get one right now, so that is why I am asking.......
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Ryan, I've only seen one in all my years. I have an ad from the February, 1969, Yachting Magazine stating "Bertram announces the Baron 28". The 28 Baron has a completely different hull from the Dave Napier designed 28 FBC that was introduced in 1971. The Baron 28 was built on a hull (presumably by Ray Hunt) that Bertram designed specifically for it's professional racing program in the late 60's.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ryan

Remember one thing, value is what one is willing to pay for it. If you never plan on selling, that is one thing, but you don't want to take a bath. I would say the demand is slim except for a few buyers.

If it is only useful for Howdy boating and showing it at area events, then I would say the value is low. Unfortunately, unlike cars, there is a very small collector market for boats.

Tread cautiously.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Tony is correct; VERY limited market for these unique boats. As he said, primary use would be "Howdy" boating (nothing wrong with that) and occasional classic boat shows (also fun). Even if you were given the hull for free, I believe you would have way more in a re-build/restore than you could sell it for. Now if you love a project that you can immerse yourself in and you enjoy turning wrenches and sanding fiberglass, and you have a place to do these things, then this would be a project that would keep you busy for a while!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Just found this on a google search:

1968 Bertram Barron Offshore
Year: 1968
Length: 28'
Located In: Clayton, NY
Hull Material: Fiberglass
YW#: 80515-2964486
Current Price: US$ 74,900
28 Feet 1968 Bertram Barrow Offshore Raceboat
For Bertram Lovers and Offshore enthusiasts alike, it does not get any better!

Bertram only build 11 of these special raceboats, 9 of which went to the Israeli Government as gun boats. This particular hull was used in the 1968 Miami to Nassau race. She has been comprehensively restored with new chrome, gelcoat, teak floor, and rebuilt engines. Dash and gauge panels also redone. Only 2 hours of use since the twin 300hp Ford engines were rebuilt. This is believed to be the last of the 11 boats remaining.

The largest broker of Antique & Classic boats in the world!

Please contact Peter Mellon of Antique Boat America with any inquiries - 315-783-6100

Call Now
Antique Boat America
41444 NYS Route 12
Clayton, NY 13624
United States
ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

so 30k for this is a bit much......

he clearly knows how rare they are. It was his pride and joy and it went under for Hurricane Katrina and has been sitting. He said everything is solid and usable but no engines. set up for BBC's.

I just found it odd that one of these few is less than half a mile from house and it caught me in a trance of flight and fancy!
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tommy wrote:Just found this on a google search:

1968 Bertram Barron Offshore
Year: 1968
Length: 28'
Located In: Clayton, NY
Hull Material: Fiberglass
YW#: 80515-2964486
Current Price: US$ 74,900
28 Feet 1968 Bertram Barrow Offshore Raceboat
For Bertram Lovers and Offshore enthusiasts alike, it does not get any better!

Bertram only build 11 of these special raceboats, 9 of which went to the Israeli Government as gun boats. This particular hull was used in the 1968 Miami to Nassau race. She has been comprehensively restored with new chrome, gelcoat, teak floor, and rebuilt engines. Dash and gauge panels also redone. Only 2 hours of use since the twin 300hp Ford engines were rebuilt. This is believed to be the last of the 11 boats remaining.

The largest broker of Antique & Classic boats in the world!

Please contact Peter Mellon of Antique Boat America with any inquiries - 315-783-6100

Call Now
Antique Boat America
41444 NYS Route 12
Clayton, NY 13624
United States
This one has been for sale for long time. So that tells you that the price is way off as well as the demand.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

ford351c594 wrote:so 30k for this is a bit much......

he clearly knows how rare they are. It was his pride and joy and it went under for Hurricane Katrina and has been sitting. He said everything is solid and usable but no engines. set up for BBC's.

I just found it odd that one of these few is less than half a mile from house and it caught me in a trance of flight and fancy!
I would pay no more than $5,000 for it. Unfortunately he will take it as an insult but facts are facts. If he does not take it, the boat will be sitting there for a long time until someone with deep pockets comes along and wants to do something special with it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Israeli gun boat! Wonder where they mounted the machine gun(s)?
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Lars

Post by Lars »

I remember seeing a 28 Baron that sold in sweden about five years ago. Cosmetically very nice, and with two fresh gassers. I believe it sold at around 25k if memory serves me right. Keep in mind that Bertrams typically trade for quite a bit more in Europe than in the US. Price wise that placed it just shy of 28 FBC area.
Carl

Post by Carl »

MarkS wrote:Israeli gun boat! Wonder where they mounted the machine gun(s)?

Up front-
The front tip gets cut off so barrel protrudes when ready to fire.
Carl

Post by Carl »

ford351c594 wrote:so 30k for this is a bit much......

If its worth 30k to you then its worth 30K.

For me, if I couldn't flip it for 30k...it's not worth 30k.
A Rare Boat means they didn't sell many...Yeah I know obvious point...but if it was a boat in demand would they not have made more?

Have to say nice lines...
Procopio

Post by Procopio »

Ladrs wrote:I remember seeing this impressive phenq review that sold in sweden five years ago. Cosmetically very nice, and with two fresh gassers. I believe it sold at around 25k if memory serves me right. Keep in mind that Bertrams typically trade for quite a bit more in Europe than in the US. Price wise that placed it just shy of 28 FBC area.
30k sounds very expensive for this but it will look awesome when it's restored.