Fiberglass Deck Kits

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

dcasey10

Fiberglass Deck Kits

Post by dcasey10 »

Hi All-

Hope everyone is enjoying summertime and the ocean. I am high and dry this summer and have been unable to get a lot of headway on my tank, deck, bulkheads and engine box rebuild. I tore out the teak deck, substructure, tank, and aft engine bulkhead this spring. So far I have built a coosa aft bulkhead and constructed the prt, Stb and aft deck shelves. I was planing on making the deck panels out of the coosa I purchased as well but it has been such slow progress that I am considering other options. When I stripped the boat down and painted the hull/deck/superstructure it was much easier going and every day you could see the progress which has not been the case with this project.

I know that Hightide sells the GlassTech cored deck set (now $5,500 plus $700 shipping north to Boston) and the Cabrea set is well north of that (i believe over $15,000) and it would seem that you really need to buy the side panels and engine boxes or else the set requires alot of work. What else is out there for deck sets? Is Fibertech still around? Richard Kidd? 31Bertram specialties in Cali is not producing kits anymore.

Where did these molds go? Does anyone have any molds around for any other parts like the transom live well? There has been so many custom parts produced it is ashame that the molds are not used more.

Has anyone recently purchased a deck form any of these sources and have pricing info?

On another note I have a set of mint original style 2 piece engine boxes laying around (built in seat style). I previously rebuilt these with new foam cores, awlgriped matterhorn white outside and ice blue gelcoat inside the boxes. I was given a set of the larger style boxes and am going to use those going forward. Let me know if anyone needs a set.

Thanks Guys.
Pete Fallon

Re: Fiberglass Deck Kits

Post by Pete Fallon »

Dave,
Why don't you make your own cockpit sole. I did mine with 3/4" foam core with glass (1708 &1808) over. Cut the hatches out with a router and used medium grit non skid sand sprayed into the white gel coat finish. Mine was 3 pieces with stiffeners on the bottom. I had access to a glass top 5x10 table but a formica top will work just as well. I always overkilled my deck with 3 layers of glass on the bottom and 4 on the top, did not want to see dents from dropped gaffs, knives or old bait boxes will nails sticking out the bottom. A round over bit around all the edges to eliminate sharp bends and either gutters or FRP lip at the hatch openings. It's not that hard just a lot of time involved. Give me a call at 561-310-7179 I am in Peabody until November.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61