Petit EZPoxy?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scot

Petit EZPoxy?

Post by scot »

Have any of you guys used the Petit EZPoxy 1 part top coat paint?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Preston Burrows

Re: Petit EZPoxy?

Post by Preston Burrows »

I've used it on my dive platform for years......holds up well enough...........
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Hang on, come to think of it my boat sank during Hurricane Matthew and was submerged for 5 days.........I can now vouch for Easypoxy's underwater stability...........works great underwater!
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
John F.

Post by John F. »

I've used Petit EZ-Poxy, Interlux Brightsides (one-part), and Interlux perfection (2-part) on everything I've done. I can't tell much of a difference between the EZ-Poxy and Brightsides. I liked both. They're easy to use, and last really well. I used a 1-part (I think EZPoxy) on the glasstech deck on my previous B31 the "Anna E." I bought the deck used, and it needed a little work. I wanted a paint that was easy to use and maybe repair. The paint looked good on the deck up until I sold the boat, which was about 7 years. It still looked good then. The interior of Crows Nest is all painted with Brightsides, and the foredeck of my B20 was painted with a 1-part (I forget which one) five years or so ago. It still looks pretty good, and it takes an absolute beating (my friends throw their tackle bags on the fore deck when fishing, and I use it as a casting deck sometimes, and the boat is docked under trees that drop all kinsd of stuff on it, including sap).

Outside of ease of use and clean-up, and that they don't smell as bad as 2-part Perfection, the 1-part primer by Interlux (I forget what Petit's is like) goes on pretty thick. The primer covers up some stuff, whereas the Interlux Perfection 2-part primer covers almost nothing.

I rolled and tipped the 1-part using a little foam roller, foam brushes, and little roller trays from the hardware store. I tried using really good brushes to tip, but the finish wasn't any better that what I could get with a foam brush. And if the foam brush gets loaded up, degrades, or gets something on it, you just throw it away and grab another one. Its a lot more complicated when you're tipping with nice brushes. Plus, you have to clean up nice brushes, where you just throw all the foam stuff away and start new for the next coat.

I've also "hot-coated" with 1-parts. Its works OK to get more paint on in less days. You put on a coat, and once it tacks up, you put on another. The dry time is longer than doing one coat at a time, but it allows you to build thickness a lot quicker without sags. One heavy coat will sag. I'd "hot coat" on a Sunday when I knew I wouldn't have time to work on the boat for a few days. Sand, hot coat two more coats, wait a few day, sand, final coat (just one), and you're probably good to go.

The only thing with 1-part is that my understanding is that you can't paint a 2-part over it. The one-part has to be sanded off.

Good luck.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
scot

Post by scot »

I have used Brightsides 1 part with excellent results as well, but never tried the Pettit 1 part EZpoxy. I noticed that Fighting Lady Yellow is available from Pettit in 1 part EZPoxy, so I wanted some opinions on their 1 part paint. My assumption was it would be very similar to Interlux Brightsides.

Thanks for the inputs.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0