Another B25 came home

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

RobCiminieri

Another B25 came home

Post by RobCiminieri »

I just sold my B25 hardtop and said I was ready to just have the B20 Bahia Mar at home.....and this B25 FBC VDrive shows up local. The boat was listed at a very fair firm price. I told Sharon I liked to look at it because of the Vdrive. If he goes back and negotiates, game on but doubt it. It has been listed. I went there got the normal..do you know what this is?? I think so..had quite a few. Looked it over this is what I have. Offered him a quarter less than i had in my pocket so I was able to call Sharon. Hey babe we have another one haha. I will get pics up and there will be plenty of posts to come for advice on this won all. This boat is a surpringly solid 68 that was in the water this past season
John F.

Re: Another B25 came home

Post by John F. »

Congratulations. Looking forward to some pics.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rob

Great news. Looking forward to see what you do to her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
RobCiminieri

Post by RobCiminieri »

Looking into the boat and the 470's in it are not healthy. An advise for repower. Would love to run 3.0 in her but the counter rotation is an issue. Maybe small blocks? Can I get veltetdrives to counter rotate?
How do I put pics up here??? Lol
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3

Rob

The link takes you to the instructions for posting pics. You will need an account with one of the Pic hosting sites.

Counter rotation in the older set ups was always done through the engines. One engine would spin clockwise and the other counter clockwise. Since it is hard to find counter rotating engines, they usually change the rotation by running one transmission in reverse and the other is in forward. That is how my 31 is set up with the ZF Transmissions.

Hopefully one of the 25 guys will jump in on engine options. Why don't you post a second thread asking for help determining what engines fit in a 25.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
RobCiminieri

Post by RobCiminieri »

Tony
I am going to do wgat you suggested for the pics and the power thread. I think the ZF trans is the way to go. I will get up some pics.

Thanks a million Capt
Rob
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

I have the 318 Cgryslers with Paragon drives. I think Randall had the 360's. I believe i have heard of 350's. Have a friend with Yanmar 180's, tight but fits.

Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joe

Is your deck Blue or is that a paper covering? I ask because if it is not Blue, you should think about it, looks good.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

Joe said he has the Chryslers; this one has Yanmars. Therefore this is probably not his boat!
Blue deck, though, is nice !
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Yes, That's the Yannies. Not mine. Although the blue looks nice I think it's only tape and i think it would get hot in bare feet.
This is the Yanmar boat a little further on on the restoration. The boat is in the Pacific Northwest.

Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joe

Hot on the feet is ok since I do not allow bare feet when fishing. Swimming only, then the feet are wet so you cool the deck down. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
RobCiminieri

Post by RobCiminieri »

That boat is stunning. I have been looking and I think the easiest thing to do is replace the bad 470. It will get it ready to run and let me finish my couple of things on my Bahia Mar. i will be confirming but i have a strong feeling my counter rotation is in the transmission. A couple 350s would go nice but diesels would be ideal. Yanmar 180 would be a great power fit but has anybody had any experience with the small 170 mercruiser diesels? A total repower is in her near future. I am not a fan of the 470 charging system and yes i know the altenator upgrade. It was done and i also have fiberglass repairs in my motor box now LOL. Chevys or diesels i am thinking with ZF transmissions. Any input or info on those Mercruiser diesels would be vwry appreciated
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

If you want CR and V-Drives you can go with the ZF trans. They take standard rotation as the input and then can be shifted for either direction for your forward propeller. I did not use V drives but I did use ZF 45a's on my twin 4BT cummins to give me counter rotation on my inboards.

Good luck

Frank
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Eagles 17

Post by Eagles 17 »

Congrats on your new boat.
I have a b26 with twin 470'S with alpha 1 mercruiser legs, the counter rotation is the port leg.
I was sceptical about the 470's but I have found them great runners.
There are still parts avalable and a rebuilt long block can be purchased for $2600.00us.
Good luck.
scot

Post by scot »

Kelly Small in FLA has, or had a very nice 25 V-drive (Queen of Hearts) that he installed Chevy 350's in. Strong running boat, fairly certain the 350's fit right in without issue. I believe that small block Chevy's are slightly smaller than the Chrysler V8s. With that, 383's would go in the boat if you really wanted to kick it up a notch, although the 360 boats are said to be 40 kt boats.

The V-drive 25's are the best riding, lots of weight and where it needs to be. They are also the heaviest version of the B25, I like-um. :-)

Good luck, post some pics.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
kellysmall

Post by kellysmall »

Howdy Scot,
Been away from the board for a while. I sold Queen of Hearts to a group of guys from the church a few years ago who decided they wanted her more than I did! Oddly enough, they approached me last night to see if I wanted to buy back in. Not sure I do since I really don't have time right now. However, my daughter turned 7 years old yesterday, and she's wanting to learn how to fish, so, I may be trying to find a B20 Moppie or Bahia Mar to restore fairly soon. If you see anything interesting, give me a shout.
scot

Post by scot »

Hi Kelly.. it's been a while! Hope all is well with you and your family. YES, you need another Bertram. Your 25 was one of my favorites, gave me a lot of inspiration and I learned a lot from your boat about just how much weight these hulls can take!

I was off my project for a few years, just pecking at it from time to time.. family matters, jobs, etc. But I'm back at it full time now and hoping to float next summer.

Don't be a stranger. If you find a B20 to do, keep us in the loop.

Scot
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Catalina31

Post by Catalina31 »

Kelly,
I saw these two for sale the other day ready for a new life and on your side of the country. Best of luck.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/6135321464.html

https://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/6115677960.html

https://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/6168291542.html

-Brian
Brian Vanderspek
B38 Off Hand BERL1215M82
Sold B31 Fun 'N' Games 315-174-1285
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Hi Kelly, welcome back I don't think I have seen you post since the 25 board went the way of the carrier pigeon! I still have a bunch of info you were nice enough to share with me from back in 04-05 when I put Razorsharp together. 7 year old daughter wants to learn fishing? That's good stuff buddy, post pictures of the new boat when you get it! ;)
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

I am surprised a rebuild of the 470's is not out of the question. They can be made to have some power and very reliable. They are very sought after down here anyway.

If you do small blocks, I just installed two new ones. One is counter rotation. In most cases, it is just a cam swap, usually about $25 over the cost of a normal cam and the use of timing gears. (( no counter rotation engine should have a chain )) some counter rotation engines due run a different crank and have notched rods, but I believe that is a thing of the past.

http://www.whiteperformance.com/

this is who did mine. 383's. 390hp and 485ftlbs on pump gas. shipping was extremely reasonable.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
kellysmall

Post by kellysmall »

Great to hear from you guys. Funny enough, I've been approached by one of the guys who bought my old B25 to see if I had any interest of buying back in! Not too interested since I'm kind of an "all or nothing" sorta guy. Not ruling out the B20 idea, but for the time being, I came across a fully restored Shamrock 17 in North Carolina for a price I couldn't refuse. I towed it home to P'cola last month. I can teach Audrey how to fish with that one while I'm rebuilding the B20. These are good times, gentlemen. Raising a clear tonight in honor of our brothers that have gone on before us. I'm still sharing stories of my experiences at UVII-5 with friends and co-workers. Will try to do better at keeping up with you good folks than I have for the past couple of years.