Interior Varnish?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Interior Varnish?

Post by John F. »

I built a new table out of mahogany last weekend when I was at my Dad's (he has great tools and knows how to use them). Any advice on a varnish type finish? I'm going with gloss, and grabbed can of Interlux Schooner. There was also Epifanes there. I've never used either. I finished the rest of the interior wood trim on Crows Nest with an Interlux poly (forget the name), but it only comes in satin/flat.

Most important to me are ease of use and how it looks (same as for everybody). I won't use a 2-part. I want to stick with a 1-part. Thanks

1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Yannis

Re: Interior Varnish?

Post by Yannis »

Great table !

I have a roof garden kitchen top here at home, which is all mahogany because it's outside.
I covered it with teak oil which is not glossy, BUT, I do not have to worry about any stains or indentations at all, as opposed to a real varnish, which, if you hit with a sharp or heavy object then you see it for the rest of your life (unless you layer it again).
Every season I rinse it with the hose and it looks brand new again. If there are any important grease marks, I sand with grit 120 for 2 minutes, oil it with a sponge for another 2 minutes and here's my brand new top for yet another season.
I know, this is maybe not what you're looking for, but I got it out of my system, lol !!!

PS: If you use teak oil, you have to do it both sides so the wood doesn't warp, despite your transverse beams you put underneath.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Geesh...and I was happy with just painting my Formica table top.

That be a nice looking piece of wood. No words of advice as it's out of my league.

Carl
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

I used captains varnish on my teak flagpole, 7 coats with light sanding in between and it looks great. Its what the guys at Wortons Creek recommended and use on all my teak
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

love the look of varnished mahogany. Phoenix interior doors ,draws are teak with mahogany borders . i used Epifanes in satin finish and the one conclusion i have discovered is on the cabin floorboards which are totally abused with beach sand from children the satin hides all the sins so i highly recommend for a table.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

All I can say is wow.

Nice job. Did you use 1 inch strips and use biscuits when you put them together?

I hear what Yannis is saying and it looks really good and it is tempting, but the right finish with the high Gloss is the Cats Meow. If I kept it outside, I would go with Yannis.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

John-
That looks beautiful!
For interior varnish I have used Z-Spar and Petit Captain's varnish. Both provided a very traditional and glossy (especially when fresh) look. I do not think the varnishes are very durable though. I would be concerned that a cold drink can might be put down and it would leave a ring. Also the radiuses on the table top might be hard to build the varnish on. Epifanes rapid coat https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... ar+Varnish is more of a satin finish but is durable and easy to repair.
Some teak oil with 400 grit sandpaper may bring up the what looks like lovely grain.
Nothing wrong with some bar top clear if that works for you.
Contact me if I can be of help and please post pictures of the finished product.
Kind Regards,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Nicely done
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

john
I remember capt pat saying to mix
straight epoxy with mineral spirts so its like water
this would soak into the grain and seal it, lightly sand
then do your thing with the varnish
I did my rocket launcher years ago using this process
with the exception of the last coat was straight epoxy
held up great
1968 hull # 316 - 757
neil

Post by neil »

John,try awl wood ,Jr did his whaler with it and it came out great
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks for all the advice. I wound up with Interlux Goldspar. Its not really a varnish--more like a 1-part poly. Its also a satin, and after being reminded why I like satin finish by Bob, I decided to go with it again. I've used it on all the other wood in the interior, I'm used to it, and I thought having a gloss table with everything else satin my not blend well. Again, thanks
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J