very high cpu usage

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ted_R

very high cpu usage

Post by Ted_R »

Similar to other low molecular weight oping retina, loss of both p107 and pRB nevents theindex of coincidencecan be
quality RNA. Together with the use of Alu/Ya3a1 NM 000133 Xq27.1 Coagulation factor IX F9 Hemophilia B turnover. However, TAG lipase activity in
endorphins your brain releases and leads to strengthening Could this be part of a cycle? expenditure by 150 calories, but when you measure it, the reduction is actually 250 calories. That extra
AS said in other threads going to do Kart100 next year. Just getting stuff ready such as suits etc. Over the years I've had helmets off a good friend of mine who races in BritishSuperbike, so have a
Last edited by Ted_R on Sep 7th, '10, 04:36, edited 2 times in total.
""Procrastinate now!"
scot

Post by scot »

There is only 8 bolts that need to be taken out to begin the resurection, 4 on each engine....the front 2 motor mounts and the rear 2 motor mounts.

Next: Pull the engines.

I know that's not very helpful and many would consider a smart a** answer, BUT, a boat in that condition will not be dependable with some minor "get it going" wrenching. Do your buddy a favor and you guy's sit down over an adult beverage and discuss the realities of his ride.

You can't polish a turd....it just smears.

Forget plan B, there's a Bertram under all that crap somewhere.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I was overly optimistic with bringing my old gassers back to life. I thought it would just need manifolds, but bolts broke in the heads so I figured it was time for new heads. Brand new heads with in the first couple hours running bent a rod. yanked that head, replaced rod, used boat for a couple hours and snapped a valve in a diffent head. All thsi while rebuilding ditributors, carbs god knows what else I wasted my time on. Scot is right about the turd. Save your self the time and aggravation by not sticking your finger in it. If you are anything like me, you will probably play paddycakes with the stuff cuase you like the challenge. don't mean to put you down about this but I wasted a lot of valuable time and money on a giant TURD.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Danger- Danger- Will Robinson !!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

There is a wealth of advice and experience on this board.......use it to your advantage........

I'm with Scot and Kevin..........REPLACE THE ENGINES..............I know it seems like lot of expense and work right now but in reality you will save time, money and aggervation if you just bite the bullet and do it.

I have "Been there and done that"

Tell your buddy that its hard to see the picture when your in the frame....we (the faithful) can see the picture perfectly clear

NEW ENGINES ! ! !

Harry Babb
hb
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

At least pull them and give them a proper rebuild. I know its expensive and time consuming, but it can save your life.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Just look what you can do with the engines out waiting to put in the new ones. Like clean the bilge/engine room, repair/replace bulkheads, paint, and even take a good look at your bonding system. When the new engines and tranny go back in, you'll be in the clear and ready to go.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

I have a good running counter GM 350 in the garage and two trannies. One just a couple hours since rebuild. Add a rebuilt regular rotation 350, and fresh mani's and you can be running in a couple weeks. Not to mention, I am hold my old struts, shafts, flowscans, gauge panels. Basically, the works, less exhaust mani's.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

The plan to save the 1975 raw water cooled engines is outragous. Think about it!

This may be another idea. Get in touch with Hyena Love. He's a nice guy. Tell him you'd like to take advantage of the engine and both trannies. Then round up another simular engine. You can go to the salvage yard. Five hundred(US) clams will get you one. They are "throw way" engines.

In the mean time, do as suggested above and clean up the boat.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Ted: If we sound a little adamant it is just because we have all been down that road at one point or another and know the problems and pitfall. We aren't trying to beat up on you, we just don't want you to throw away good money. Cheers.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Ted_R

Post by Ted_R »

Thanks guys, for all the replies. Sorry for the spelling, looked it up in my Funk & Wagnals, (which I probably just misspelled) and it's "resurrection"
And now, "the rest of the story".
The 1000hrs on these engines was put on up north in lake Superior, not down here in the salt swamp. They got busy with business and didn't use it but a couple of times down here. Always fresh water flushed after use, which he continued to do while it was on the lift for 2 years. ( he would run it once a week on the lift) then about a year ago they had more free time and wanted to use the boat more, but by now the carbs were in need of a clean out, so they hired a local dock-side mechanic for the job. He removed the carbs, charged them $500 up front to o'haul them, then was incognito for almost a year, with them constantly calling him, he promising to do the carbs and get'r done. Enter me. I told them to get the carbs back and I would do them. He brought them back, but they're still chasing the guy for the money!! I did'nt post all this last night because it was late, I was dog tired, and I type about 100wpd (thats "words per DAY")
Any way, carbs are done, did starters today. The objective is to get them running and then evaluate them. I agree with all replies that now would be a good time to repower. Maybe even diesels, but that's not the owners take on the situation. If these eng won't give him a few more hours, he'll try to sell it as is, or donate it for a tax deduction. He knows the market for these old boats is in the dumper, not to mention the insurance issue or the fuel prices!!!! I've had mine up for sale for over a year, had 1 call from a guy on Margarita island near Venezuela and he pays 10cents a gallon for gas. YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT!!!! The venz govt subsidizes gas for their citizens. But it wasn't what he was looking for. I told him I would keep the boat and move down there!!!!
I'm being paid for the work i'm doing, so it's not a total waste of time. I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for the fresh water history. Just try'n to help my fren.
Will let you all know how it ends! (BTW, I have work out a plan for the frozen plugs, which was the original question I posed to the faithful, engine condition aside)
Ted the Tenacious
""Procrastinate now!"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Ted: Keep soaking them with CX. It works well over a couple of days. Use an impact wrench on the plugs if you can get it on them. Otherwise put pressure on them with the breaker bar and a piece of cheater pipe if there is room. Hold the pressure on them for about 30 sec. They should break loose. Heat always works, but it is dangerous on a gas boat. Be careful and always have a large fire extinguisher and an extra person to use it handy.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

Ted,

If you can't get an impact in there, have your buddy tap on the head of the cheater bar while you are holding pressure. Often a small hammer tapping in conjunction with torque of socket / bar will free stuff up.

You may end up with some heli-coil inserts before this adventure is over.

Once you get the plugs out I would put 1/2 cup of Marvel Mystery oil in each cyl and let it soak for a couple of days before trying to spin the engine.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Ted_R

Post by Ted_R »

Thanks Scot and Rawleigh, for your suggestions, thats pertty close to what I did on the port engine today. They weren't froze solid as much as junk in the threads was jamming them after about an eighth of a rotation. Kept soaking with penetrating oil and working them back and forth, first with an impact wrench, then with a 1/2 " breaker, finally got them all out!!! No sign of Rust (water). Starters back on, spun engines with plugs out till we had oil pressure (20/30 psi). Installed carbs, put in new plugs, tried starting with ether, no luck. Checked ignition, no spark. Both sets of points bad, replaced. With all this cranking we still had no gas at the carbs.
Engines were sputtering on the ether, but wouldn't fire on all 8. ( probably oil fouled the plugs from all the oil sprayed in the cyls.) Monday we'll try to get the gas to the pumps and go from there. ( electric boost pumps would sure be nice ) So far, so good (Knock on fiberglass!!)
But what a beautiful day it was !!! Boat is on a lift on "Bimini Bay" at the confluence of Tampa Bay and the Gulf. Dolphin playing off the transom.
And I'm "messing about in boats". There is a God!! and He spent some time in boats, and went fishin some too!!!
Hope you all had a nice day!
Ted
""Procrastinate now!"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Once you get them running you might want to convert to electronic ignition. I never have much luck with points!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31