How to Finish Okoume Ply

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John Nardi

How to Finish Okoume Ply

Post by John Nardi »

Hey Guys...Thinking of using Okoume Ply to make both the Kichen/Bathroom Bulkhead and Bathroon face and door...It generally has a nice wood tone to it unlike regular ply wood...Was thinking of just finishing it with some sort of light stain and then a sealer of some type....Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated...Thanks, John
CamB25

Re: How to Finish Okoume Ply

Post by CamB25 »

If it's inside and you don't want a shiny finish, I would use teak oil. If you want a shiny finish you'll need to build layers of varnish.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

I'm presuming that you're talking about an inside finish... I would go with a finish that cleanable... Maybe a few layers of flat, satin or high gloss lacquer (depending on what you like)... If you want to give it a stain you'll have to do that first... That will look good and you'll be able to clean it with a rag and some soapy water if it ever gets dirty... It will also protect the finish from any water splatter...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

X 2 what Nav says.
I know that the bathroom side gets splashed and needs cleaning; only with a varnish top coat(s), (over a stain that will cover the plywood deficiencies) will do.
Also, consider doing a light door, with a wooden (teak?) frame of about 6-8 cm wide and inlay a white plexi. Big difference in weight over an all ply door.
The door side panel can also be a teak frame with a 6mm ply with teak (or other) top surface. The bathroom side has to be varnished too.

Dont forger the "skirt" on the inside.

The door opens inside; saves a lot of space

Custom refrigerator and freezer; all IKEA galey - whoever talks bad about Ikea is my enemy !!

1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Excellent...Thanks Guys!