SS Rigging wire

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevind767
Standing Member

SS Rigging wire

Post by Kevind767 »

Hi All,

I need to replace some of the guy wires on my outriggers, and just can't stomach the prices at Rupp.

Does anyone have knowledge of a supplier of wire cable?
1/16" in dia. and 316 SS
Pretty sure it's 1x7 cable with left hand lie.

McMaster-Carr has some on their web site, but it states is "Difficult to bend" and I will need to bend it 180 degrees to crimp a loop in it, to attach to the rigger.

Has anyone rebuilt their own outriggers?

Thanks,
Kevin
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: SS Rigging wire

Post by mike ohlstein »

22 cents per foot. 316SS and probably more flexible than 7 strand......

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/S0701-0001.html
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Kevind767 wrote:Hi All,

Has anyone rebuilt their own outriggers?

Thanks,
Kevin

Yup...22' Lee's I received as payment...or took as payment depending on how you looked at it. Kinda think he thought I was joking, but he said sure, so I pulled'em out, strapped 'em onto my lil Toyota pickup and off I went. Not my fault he found a less expensive alternative to a custom SS mount we machined for him.

Anyway, I cut them down into 19' double spreader riggers. Had to rearrange a few things, some black paint, new wire and tips, spikes on top.

Toughest part is corroded alum...removing hardware and trying to buy parts...ooch...good to have a shop at times.

Kevind767
Standing Member

Post by Kevind767 »

Mike,

Thanks. Will give them a look. More like what I thought I needed in the first place

Carl, How has the black paint held up?
I have the outriggers off the boat and in the back yard. Was just going to polish them up real well, but those black riggers look great on your boat.

Appreciate the feedback!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Figure every 2-3 years they need to be touched up, especially by flags.
I usually scuff good with woven pad, tape up spreader assembly and hit with an aerosol can followed by clearcoat.

My thought was I really liked the black, was not paying the premium for them the riggers anodize was not in best condition so it was going to be pull, clean and polish anyway...so I painted. Happy with choice...and mounting on tower adds another several feet so a few holidays are hard to see.