Which Isspro Fuel Sending Unit

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Which Isspro Fuel Sending Unit

Post by JohnV8r »

Guys,

New fuel tank will be 24" OD deep, made from .25" aluminum. Do I use the 22" or 23" Isspro fuel level sender? Model numbers are either RA9522-ISS (22") or RA9523-ISS (23").

Will the Isspro fuel sending unit be "plug & play" with my stock/original Stewart Warner fuel gauge?

Thanks in advance.

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
bob lico

Re: Which Isspro Fuel Sending Unit

Post by bob lico »

i actually remove that 2" threaded plug with pickup to in it and put a rule in tank and measured to bottom .i have my ideas others have there theories i am a firm believer of pick up only a 1/2" off bottom " there is a billed up of water,dirt and sludge that will be picked up and sent to the engines---NOT IN MY TANK !!!! nor my corvette tank so you can use other wannabe mechanics theories but i just use 1/2" and take on fuel at private commercial fuel dock with clean tanks that are multiple filtered so i have 231 gallon tank with useable 225. the Isspro sending unit is so accurate i can tell within 5 gallons my fuel left in tank.even in a rolling sea.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

bob lico wrote:i actually remove that 2" threaded plug with pickup to in it and put a rule in tank and measured to bottom .i have my ideas others have there theories i am a firm believer of pick up only a 1/2" off bottom " there is a billed up of water,dirt and sludge that will be picked up and sent to the engines---NOT IN MY TANK !!!! nor my corvette tank so you can use other wannabe mechanics theories but i just use 1/2" and take on fuel at private commercial fuel dock with clean tanks that are multiple filtered so i have 231 gallon tank with useable 225.
There are other ways "crud" can get into your tank... Especially diesel tanks... Water vapor will get in through the daily day (warm)/night (cold) cycle... From there it's a short step to bacterial contamination...

IMHO no matter how particular you are regarding where you get your fuel you should or how low your pickup tube(s) go into the tank, at the very least, run your fuel through a suitable water separator/particle filter (e.g. a Racor) before the fuel gets to your engine's filters...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you might have notice i did not mention filters! the question is the pickup,fuel level indicator same used by offshore race boats filters are a entirely different subject.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

I am using a centroid unit. I did the same thing Bob did. Removed the old unit and put a yard stick in the tank to measure it. I then called centroid and the set it and sent me a unit that is about a half inch off the bottom.

I also found out that Bertram had shifted over to centroid units and used them until they went out of business.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

John,
I would use the 23" unit and the standard ohm is 240-33. Old SW guages use this but give isspro the model of your SW guage when ordering to make sure. If you still have you can measure the old sender for the resistence. Use a volt, ohm meter set to r1.
One probe on center connection, the other on the flange. Lift float up/down to measure.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Nav,
I would suggest that looking at posts as a whole and not breaking them down will prevent taking posts off in directions the thread doesn't need to go to.

Thanks