DECK PLATE

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

THESALTYSATO

DECK PLATE

Post by THESALTYSATO »

I recently purchased a Bert 31. In the rear deck there is a deck plate of brass and chrome plated with a 4 inch hole. I am sure this was used for fighting chair. Needless to say the fighting chair did not come with the boat nor did the prior owner have one. I am looking for removable plug to fill the 4 inch hole in chrome . I have called all of the makers of custom fighting chairs but no one has or makes a 4 inch plug for it. They suggest getting a machine shop to make one. Anyone have any other ideas or had a similar problem. thanks
John
Navatech

Re: DECK PLATE

Post by Navatech »

THESALTYSATO wrote:I recently purchased a Bert 31. In the rear deck there is a deck plate of brass and chrome plated with a 4 inch hole. I am sure this was used for fighting chair. Needless to say the fighting chair did not come with the boat nor did the prior owner have one. I am looking for removable plug to fill the 4 inch hole in chrome . I have called all of the makers of custom fighting chairs but no one has or makes a 4 inch plug for it. They suggest getting a machine shop to make one. Anyone have any other ideas or had a similar problem. thanks
John
FWIW, if I were in your place I'd leave things as they are... Even if you never intend to get a fighting chair... You could use it to place a table... Or a "rocket launcher" if you're into fishing...
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

thanks for the reply . I am looking for a removable plug as when it rains the water goes down into the bilge. Also a toe stumper and a hole for my little dogs leg. At some point I would like to get a fighting chair and use the existing plate.
thanks
john
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Toe catch is the thing.
Check your home store for something along the line of a dome plug. Look in the pvc sewer connection. I remember a white 4" commode floor cap. May have to modify.
It also could be made out of a piece of mahogany or such with a rounded edge.

You can also check to see if your marine stores or FC makers have base plugs.
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

thanks-- I will check a plumbing supply also the idea of mahogany plug would look good and be less expensive than a machine shop
thanks again
john
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Thesaltysato,
Like Bruce said you should be able to find a 4" chromed plate at your local large plumbing supply house. That's where I found one for my fighting chair base. It might not be chromed brass but they are cheap enough to get a couple when the 1st one starts to corrode. I don't know if your compression ring ( raised ring with a couple of 9/16" bolts to tighten it around the chair stanchion) is still in place if it is just remove it and silicon the plate onto the ring.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

4" is the most common size plug in the plumbing world.that is standard for main waste.i never go to a box store and thank GOD i don`t have to depend on there supplys on long island you can go to any plumbing supply house and ask for threaded 4" plug in brass ,chrome would be special order unless you went to Blackman Hoffman in Hicksville ,long island ,new york there main warehouse. Town of north hempstead no PVC underground as well as town of Islip MUST use cast iron so for the 90 degree bent of waste on ground floor in roughing you would use that plug until ready to set bowl . if renovation on commercial they would use 4" brass to leave permanent plug.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

THANKS SO MUCH FOR EVERYONES REPLY
THE PLUMBING SUPPLY STORE IS MY NEXT STOP ON MONDAY
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

A variety of plugs here:

https://www.westmarine.com/deck-plates

Alternatively, a mahogany plug with a flush mounted stainless finger -pull.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

thanks again for every ones reply and ideas- most helpful. I am new to the forum as a user and it is really helpful the comments you get back
john
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

I have two of those on my 31 and like to remove the Pompanette chairs when we go offshore fishing. I brought the dimensions to a local machine shop in Seaford, Delaware and he made me stainless steel discs with holes drilled for the fastening bolts. Since he knew what I wanted them for he had thick rubber backing on the underside to make them waterproof. Works and looks great and cost me a little over a hundred bucks.
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Thanks for the reply. Do you have his email address or the phone number in Seaford Delaware and the name of the person you worked with.
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

Let me check and I'll get it to you.
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

Seaford Machine Works. Look up in Google. The stainless steel discs were approx 6 inches round. My name is Pasquale Petrera. He should have a record. If not let me know. Pat
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I WILL CALL THEM TOMORROW
JOHN