value in maintaining original design?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Knotme

value in maintaining original design?

Post by Knotme »

In my journey to redo my mark 2. I read an article saying before repower always consult with manufacturers regarding their opinion. I called and emails Bertram in Tampa and finally got through to a person. When presented with the question of outboards versus stern drive, without hesitation he answered stern drive. His reason was that the inherent value of the boat will rise beyond just the motors for a restored version versus a custom jobby. Has anybody seen this in their history of Bertram work?
Navatech

Re: value in maintaining original design?

Post by Navatech »

IMHO it's six of one and half a dozen of the other... IOW, it's really a personal thing... Personally I'm not a fan of gas powered boats and as diesel outboards are practically nonexistent my choice is limited...

In short, some people will prefer a gas inboard, some other people will prefer a diesel inboard while other people will prefer (gas) outboards...
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

In my opinion, starting this type of project to maximize resale value is not realistic. The boat is unlikely to return your investment. Build it for yourself to your standards.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Carl

Post by Carl »

IMHO- Smaller boats its kinda the norm to be running I/O's or OB's. Correctly done, I doubt many would care which kind of power boat had. Of course that's aside from those that prefer one over the other. That said if your intent is to sell as a "Restored" Bertram, hoping to collect on the originality aspect...I'd think it should be powered in same fashion as built. Upgrade power, not convert.

Larger in the 28-31' range going from IB to OB is a bit radical for these boats design. People (as in people who "would" buy if you want to sell) know they will have a hard time selling when the time comes...so would be reluctant to shell out lots of coin, thus value drops. Kinda like the people who convert to BMW diesel in the 31's...great boat, but those motors are real oddballs and value drops even though it may perform as well or better...resale suffers, boats worth less.

Dumping coin into a boat is great if it makes you happy...but if your dumping money in with intention to flip...you have to consider what makes the potential buyers happy.

The other consideration...if you want a little money left over when you sell, make sure to start with alot of money.
More often then not, boats make lousy investments...
Knotme

Post by Knotme »

No, not a flip. I'm guessing a ten year hold minimum. But.... I always am happy if I say, put so much in, get the use then sell it for close to what I have in it. I have been lucky so far, but that does not count my own personal labor, nor my son's...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Factory reps don't have a clue. They build a boat priced to sell to a market share and don't deal in the used market at all.
Would you call GM when considering resto modding a 58 vette?

We had a 28 Bert with outboards come thru the shop to install 4 stroke Hondas. The boat when done surveyed and a year later sold for much more than a 28 Bert with gasser in boards went for.

Unless your dealing with an old classic like a mahogany Chris craft speedboat, unless the custom is an abortion do what you want.

Every custom refit I did on any boat fetched more than what a stock version did.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote: Every custom refit I did on any boat fetched more than what a stock version did.

Yes, that is understandable, but how much more after you subtract the cost of the modifications.
Say we have a gas 31 worth 15K. We convert to diesel; when all said and done we dump 60k into boat. Is boat worth 75k, being even money, or is it worth more?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Like anything, it's worth what someone is willing to give for it or what the market supports which doesn't mean you always get your total investment out of a project on resale.

I remember a time people were dumping 250 to over 300k into 31's. Eventually that market tanked.
Carl

Post by Carl »

That is my point...while you only need to find that one Right buyer to purchase your______, fill in the blank. As you refine and taylor your project to your personal taste outside the norm, your cutting down your perspective market.

How many people want an old boat?
Of those how many are willing to buy a restored old boat?
Of those how many are looking for an Old Restored Bastard boat?

Of those interested, how many have the means to purchase at close to what was "invested".
Of those that have the means...how many will see and want something close,but more customized to their exact wants and just have one built.

Point is every time you drop a step outside the box, your losing potential buyers.

Again, only need one person with the means to say, that's exactly what I want for a sale. Just the tighter you get into a niche market the narrower the field of potential buyers.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Personally .... I like the classics.
The Corvette with matching numbers is worth more $$......how many people are killing themselves for "altering" their split window coupe 'vettes ?
I like outboard boats, but as I told a sales guy at the Lauderdale Show ... if it needs more than 2 outboards it should have inboards !!
I fish on a 26 Regulator on a regular basis ...great boat, I would think that their 31 with outboards is also a great boat, but I would be very reluctant to convert a B31 to outboards.
I actually looked at one of the original factory 28s that had the SeaDrives. It was faster than the other 28s without a doubt, but I bought the standard 28 with inboards.
My concern was the resale value.....Years later, pre 4 strokes, those SeaDrive boats became a very hard sell.

If I were to do a radical refit .... It would be with the thought that it's gonna stay with me forever !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
John F.

Post by John F. »

If you're keeping the boat for 10 years, then do whatever you want. I've never gotten the impression that there's much of a market for I/Os. It seems every redo I see is a bracketed O/B. Again, do what you want. Its your boat.

I like original number cars, but these boats are a different animal. I'd much rather get a Bertram redone to modern standards, especially in fit/finish, than a Bertram redone to be a 1960s replica. If you're talking Vettes, then no.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J