World’s Fastest Luxury Yacht

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Post by Navatech »

February 22, 2017

The SV Yachts Alpha is capable of over 80 knots (Courtesy of SVY)

Making its official debut at the Miami International Boat Show was the SV Yachts Alpha, which is capable of over 80 knots.

Founded only last year, Miami-based SV Yachts (SVY) is a new manufacturer focussing on high performance luxury boats. Alpha is its first vessel.

Just over 38 ft long, Alpha’s power comes from twin 700 SCi Mercury racing engines, each developing 700 hp for SSM stern drives. Alpha was initially launched at a star-studded Miami Beach party where SVY co-founder Mauricio Velez described the work that went into creating the vessel.

“At first, the idea was to create a hot-rod car, but as a boat. It had to be great to look at but at the same time give you that rush of performance. It’s been a team effort because everything had to come together—the engine, hull design, propellers—all had to be synchronized.”

Now in production in the US, the Alpha requires eight months to build and costs over $800,000. According to Velez, it soon will be available in Europe and the Middle East.

Watch it in action here:

Last edited by Navatech on Feb 23rd, '17, 04:57, edited 1 time in total.
Navatech

Re: World’s Fastest Luxury Yacht

Post by Navatech »

OK, 80 knots is FAST... REALLY fast!... There would be very few (if any) military/leo vessels that could match that boat let alone overtake it... Having said that, I'm looking at this boat and I'm not seeing a yacht... Is that just me?!... What would be a reasonable differentiation between yacht and boat?!...

I mean, which elements would have to be on a boat for it to be reasonably called a "yacht"?!...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nav...are you disagreeing with your own post?

I'll agree with your 2nd in that I do not see that boat as a yacht either...

In my mind, when I think yacht I think mega-yacht...or at least something in and around the 80' range, two levels, dining room and crewed.

That said, get over 30' with amenities to live aboard and I believe the term "yacht" comes into play. Carver Yachts, Ocean Yachts had boats in the 28-35 foot range with Yacht stamped right on the side...
As to sail...beats me when a sailboat becomes a yacht...all kinda the same to me from a Sunfish to a Clipper.

Now this one...its ugly enough at 38' to be called a yacht...just so it cannot be compared to my 31' boat. 80 knots is pretty darn fast...which is good too cause I wouldn't want anyone to see me in it either. But it kinda looks like an ugly go-fast and for a go-fast...80 knots is not an earth shattering speed demon.

Speaking of speed and demon, dad tells me the Dodge Hellcat powerplant is going to be overshadowed by the Dodge Demon. Still in the design stages but supposed crack 1000 hp.

Maybe its a yacht because of the purple underwater lights (had to add to get back on topic)
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Guys relax,
I ...just placed an order for a custom version, with a 2 story house so we can justifiably call it a yacht !
I promise to take you all out on a stroll as soon as they deliver it to me, around October...
Nav, Carl, is that OK with you, or shall I call them and ask for an earlier date ?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Guys relax,
I ...just placed an order for a custom version, with a 2 story house so we can justifiably call it a yacht !
I promise to take you all out on a stroll as soon as they deliver it to me, around October...
Nav, Carl, is that OK with you, or shall I call them and ask for an earlier date ?

Well that answers that, gotta go with the custom version.
Hmm... Maybe the stock version has a basement floor and it is 2 stories...did you look into that Yannis?

Anyway...
October is just fine, weather is starting to get cool around here and be nice to get away.
Thanks, what should I bring for our stroll? Will this one have a mermaid bench too??
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Α basement LOL !!!

You should bring ANYTHING that is forbidden to use at your home! I'm afraid to become too explicit !
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Carl wrote:Nav...are you disagreeing with your own post?
Not really my post... I reproduced an article on another site... To introduce the subject so to speak...

Now the 2nd post is MY post...
Carl wrote:Speaking of speed and demon, dad tells me the Dodge Hellcat powerplant is going to be overshadowed by the Dodge Demon. Still in the design stages but supposed crack 1000 hp.
Theory and dyno tests are all very nice but seriously?!... 1,000 HP?!... They're just pushing more air and fuel into what amounts to the same hardware... And I doubt very much those engines can push out that much sustained power over hours and hours... Much larger diesel engines would have problems with that... J&T (Johnson & Towers a.k.a. Junk & Trash) and other marinezers of the DD8V92 engine got close to such HP's but at the cost of ridiculously low hours between major overhauls (you were lucky if the engine did 1,200 hours)...

I can see the point of such engines for specific competition, LE & military applications but seriously, on a civilian boat?!... I would estimate the cost of the power train at about $120,000... And you get to replace that every few years?!... You might as well have gone with gas turbines!...

I mean, what's even the market for these?!... Abramovich might get one or two as tenders for his "Eclipse"... Andrey Melnichenko might do likewise for his "M/Y A" or his "S/Y A"... Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan might do likewise for his "Pelorus" but that's a very limited club of potential owners... And they REALLY hate getting what the other guy has...
Yannis wrote:around October...
Of what year?!... <grin>
Carl wrote:Thanks, what should I bring for our stroll?
I think that some good Ouzo and a couple of baskets of take out meze from the local taverna would be appropriate...
Carl wrote:Will this one have a mermaid bench too??
Of course!... A gold plated one!... <grin>
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav, you dont like ouzo....
A boat like this is more suitable for champaign and ...it will be on the house!
I wanted to say before, but I didnt, so that Nav doesnt think I highjack his post, that tomorrow morning at 9.30 I have appointment with my carpenter to finish the bench surface, then into my Suby towards the cushion guy...then you guys feel free to cover its top surface with whatever Rawleigh takes pleasure in seeing! He ordered it so we have to deliver !
Carl

Post by Carl »

Carl wrote:Speaking of speed and demon, dad tells me the Dodge Hellcat powerplant is going to be overshadowed by the Dodge Demon. Still in the design stages but supposed crack 1000 hp.
Navatech wrote: Theory and dyno tests are all very nice but seriously?!... 1,000 HP?!... They're just pushing more air and fuel into what amounts to the same hardware... And I doubt very much those engines can push out that much sustained power over hours and hours... Much larger diesel engines would have problems with that... J&T (Johnson & Towers a.k.a. Junk & Trash) and other marinezers of the DD8V92 engine got close to such HP's but at the cost of ridiculously low hours between major overhauls (you were lucky if the engine did 1,200 hours)...

I can see the point of such engines for specific competition, LE & military applications but seriously, on a civilian boat?!... I would estimate the cost of the power train at about $120,000... And you get to replace that every few years?!... You might as well have gone with gas turbines!...

Hellcat and Demon for automotive applications. HellCat in Challenger and Charger

As to gas turbines...for a time we got to play with some of those guys. Sammy Miller who did some land speed record and Teddy from MTT ( http://marineturbine.com/) were true laugh a minute guys spending other peoples money on toys they got to play with first. Anyway, the 1k Demon is street, not water..so no hours and hours of endurance needed...just need to get to the next light first.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

"Yacht" ... reminds me of a young lady that I worked with years ago.
She was very proud of her Dad's "yacht" ....... I made the mistake twice of calling his 38 Bayliner a "boat" and she became quite indignant that it was a "YACHT, not a boat" !!
In that we were with a group, I chose to bite my tongue !! :-D
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:Nav, you dont like ouzo....
A boat like this is more suitable for champaign and ...it will be on the house!
With all due respect, I care for neither Ouzo nor Champaign... I'd rather have a mojito or this:

If you have seen this Dutch beer locally great... Otherwise I'll bring some cans with me...
Yannis wrote:so that Nav doesnt think I highjack his post
Highjack away...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bertramp wrote:"Yacht" ... reminds me of a young lady that I worked with years ago.
She was very proud of her Dad's "yacht" ....... I made the mistake twice of calling his 38 Bayliner a "boat" and she became quite indignant that it was a "YACHT, not a boat" !!
I think it has already been established that every yacht is a boat but not every boat is a yacht... I will also accept that there will be gray areas where defining things won't be possible...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

But, Nav, this is just a beer !
All beers are the same, or almost the same, except for some noticeable exceptions like that black irish one that is drunk warm, bliah, I'll look for this one but I'm sure it will cost much more, not that it's all that important, but when a beer becomes expensive then its easier to choose anything else. Like a mojito you just said.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bertramp wrote:"Yacht" ... reminds me of a young lady that I worked with years ago.

Steve- I think you were being generous in calling it a boat.

That comes from someone who started out with a bayliner.
John F.

Post by John F. »

I walked by that thing at the Miami Show. It didn't appeal to me. Unfortunately, very few boats there did. The big trend is apparently 32'-40' center consoles with 4 or 5 outboards. I'd be afraid to fish almost all the boats there. They either had stuff everywhere, or more nooks and crannies to have to get blood and scales out of than I could stand. I guess if you can afford them you can afford someone to clean them.

Spencer had a 60' sporty that was incredible--beautiful and she looked functional. Bertram had two 35s there. One of them was cruiser rigged, and I had seen her in Annapolis. The other was sort of fish rigged--it had a hard top and outriggers. She seemed a little light on fish boxes, and according to the Bertram rep., there's no way to get her to hold more fuel than the standard 315 gallons--which seems light for a canyon run.

Miller Light was only $8 a can, and all they had were Millers, Heineken cans, and Blue Moon cans.

The Yachts Miami show was across the street from our hotel, so we walked through. I had no idea that there were that many 100' plus yachts in the world, never mind in Miami. Vikings' 60' sportys looked like dinghies.

I came home and gave my B20 and B31 a hug. They're really good boats, and they're mine. And together, they're worth less than a decent new 21' center console.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:But, Nav, this is just a beer !
All beers are the same, or almost the same, except for some noticeable exceptions like that black irish one that is drunk warm, bliah, I'll look for this one but I'm sure it will cost much more, not that it's all that important, but when a beer becomes expensive then its easier to choose anything else. Like a mojito you just said.

Just Beer! Oh...my heart may have skipped a beat...

Many a different brew out there from a Piss Water "Coors Light", although the best on a hot hot day to quench a thirst, or a hearty wheat beer or all the way up to a Double Bock beer that is equal to eating meal. I used to make Custom Home Brew equipment for years and sampled many a variety from my customer. Then a bud opened a distributorship and we toured the worlds best and worst brews from the cockpit of our yachts. I may not like'em all...but they are far from being the same.

Now, Champagne is nice, Ouzo is great for a toast, had my fill of Mojitos...tired of leaves in my drinks...but my vice is Stoli. But seeing how its your yacht, your supplying the Champagne...and I like a Stoli...maybe I should bring a tin of Caviar. If nobody likes, I'll use for bait...cause I'll fish off of anything.
Carl

Post by Carl »

John F. wrote:

I came home and gave my B20 and B31 a hug. They're really good boats, and they're mine. And together, they're worth less than a decent new 21' center console.

Last few boat shows I went to, had me appreciating my boat more when I left.
I look at the motors and wish...the boats, not so much.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

1000 hp is nothing these days.

Kids are building import 4 bangers with huge boost, monstrous injector sizes and e85 tunes and getting over 1000hp with little issues on daily drivers.

On our LS9 builds it's easy to take a stock 630hp crate motor, change cam, install lingenfelter upgrades, long tube headers and do some tuning tricks and push 1000hp. The trick is getting the car to hook up. Even with traction control, that hp is almost useless. We have a shop 2013 ZL1 pushing 750 to the wheels. It's not drivable with your foot way in it. Both Hell Cats we've had in the shop for upgrades weren't totally drivable with a heavy foot.

I'm finishing up building a new from ground up 1966 mustang fastback with 5.0 liter coyote aluminator with a custom tune pushing dyno'd 550 to the wheels. With a full custom suspension, it hooks up real well and is scary fast for only 550 but will be a daily driver.

That boat is not a yacht. It's a ugly ass tub o crap.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bruce wrote:1000 hp is nothing these days.

Kids are building import 4 bangers with huge boost, monstrous injector sizes and e85 tunes and getting over 1000hp with little issues on daily drivers.

On our LS9 builds it's easy to take a stock 630hp crate motor, change cam, install lingenfelter upgrades, long tube headers and do some tuning tricks and push 1000hp. The trick is getting the car to hook up. Even with traction control, that hp is almost useless. We have a shop 2013 ZL1 pushing 750 to the wheels. It's not drivable with your foot way in it. Both Hell Cats we've had in the shop for upgrades weren't totally drivable with a heavy foot.

I'm finishing up building a new from ground up 1966 mustang fastback with 5.0 liter coyote aluminator with a custom tune pushing dyno'd 550 to the wheels. With a full custom suspension, it hooks up real well and is scary fast for only 550 but will be a daily driver.

That boat is not a yacht. It's a ugly ass tub o crap.
Sidetracking my own thread, I have a 2004 Chevy SSR with a 5.3 liter LS2... How can I jack up the HP on the cheap?!...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce, your right 1000hp is achievable out of a shop. My customer was doing that years ago with his 4 banger rice burner. Then the trick was getting it to the ground, then the trick was not breaking something once you got it there. Eventually he made the numbers he wanted, boosted his business making a bunch of tuned rice burners.

But 1k hp for a stock car coming out of a Dodge dealership, that is a pretty high number.

What is 1K hp good for on the street...maybe bragging rights. I don't know, right now its what my dad heard from sales guy at dealership that motor is in the works. One thing is for sure...going to be a tough car to insure. You can downplay an aftermarket upgrade...but if hp is on the sticker that's tough to hide.

Tub O Crap for sure...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Navatech wrote:
Sidetracking my own thread, I have a 2004 Chevy SSR with a 5.3 liter LS2... How can I jack up the HP on the cheap?!...

Speed cost...how much you looking to Jack Up HP? What do YOU consider Cheap would be my questions.

What makes that Tub O Crap Luxurious? The Red and White Mats kinda toss that out for me...
Hope Yannis doesn't go with that theme in his two story upgraded version.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Mmmmmmmmm I LLove that red vinyl upholstery, Carl. Let me call them to ask if they can make my inside red too !!
And while I'm at it, I'll do the Bertram bench red too. Wow.

Nav,
At our age, aren't you a bit too old to play around with tuned up cars, and also, if you have money to throw away let me lend a hand !!
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Carl wrote:Speed cost...how much you looking to Jack Up HP? What do YOU consider Cheap would be my questions.
What would I be able to get a for a few hundred bucks?!...

What would I be able to get for about a grand?!...

What would I be able to get for a couple of grand?!...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:At our age, aren't you a bit too old to play around with tuned up cars, and also, if you have money to throw away let me lend a hand !!
It's never too late to play with one's toys... Knowing what I can do and actually doing it are not the same thing...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Navatech wrote:
What would I be able to get a for a few hundred bucks?!...

What would I be able to get for about a grand?!...

What would I be able to get for a couple of grand?!...

A few hundred can get a a Cold Air Kit and a Chip...may add 20-30hp and you'll hear the intake a bit, timing is tighter, should shift better. In short, not much.

For a grand, I'd look at full flow exhaust and cats...adds a few hp but makes car ready for engine work or you could supercharge.

Always Nitrous...if you don't blow motor you'll go fast till you do.

Spending more, I'd find a good shop to steer you to your destination.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Mmmmmmmmm I LLove that red vinyl upholstery, Carl. Let me call them to ask if they can make my inside red too !!
And while I'm at it, I'll do the Bertram bench red too. Wow.
Well, I guess I was wrong.

Yannis wrote: Nav,
At our age, aren't you a bit too old to play around with tuned up cars,
Your too old when your in a box.

...till then, long as bills are paid, family is well taken care of, go have fun!
If a fast and loud is your thing, if it makes you smile...why not?
From what I hear this is our one ride on earth, enjoy it!

If a Red Mermaid Bench makes you grin...go for it!

Yannis wrote: ...and also, if you have money to throw away let me lend a hand !!
I am right there with you Yannis! But I wouldn't hold your breathe...think that money is earmarked for a smile.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Carl wrote:A few hundred can get a a Cold Air Kit and a Chip...may add 20-30hp and you'll hear the intake a bit, timing is tighter, should shift better. In short, not much.
First, thanks for the advise...

Second, the SSR already has a "scoop" (Ram?) air inlet in the front and above the radiator... From there it goes to the MAF, from where it goes into the intake manifold... I already have a somewhere in my warehouse a dohicky with which I'm supposed to be able to fool around with the programming... PO gave it to me... Said he never used it and I don't know what to do with it... No manual...
Carl wrote:For a grand, I'd look at full flow exhaust and cats...adds a few hp but makes car ready for engine work or you could supercharge.
AFAIK the SSR came standard with "tuned" headers... Having said that, what would "full flow exhaust" entail?!... Is that hardware that I can buy and bolt on myself?!... A supercharger for a grand?!... That's something I would be very interested in!... Even the eBay kits are significantly more expensive then that!...
Carl wrote:Always Nitrous...if you don't blow motor you'll go fast till you do.
I don't think NO can deliver a sustained boost in power... I'd like some more HP for towing stuff... Not into dragging, street racing or that Japanese fad of skidding through turns...
Carl wrote:Spending more, I'd find a good shop to steer you to your destination.
Thanks but the truth is doing work myself is part of the challenge... So, it will have to be a shop that's fine with just selling the hardware...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

As has been noted, a good cold air intake, next long tube headers then cam and heads.

Only cold air qualifies for a couple hundred but in reality only gain 5 to 15 hp.

A custom tune on the ecm would help unless your still under warrantee.

If you want more power for towing, change rear ratio which will detriment highway speed and mpg.
Carl

Post by Carl »

If really for towing, doesn't The SSR have 300 or so hp? Should be able to tow quite a bit with that. If more don't you need better suspension in back to handle weight? I wonder as I tow a fully packed Pop-Up with wives Pilot, unless I'm looking in mirrors I wouldn't even know it's back there and that truck has no hp to speak of.
Also for towing a lot, a tranny cooler becomes important.

As to supercharging, EZ 5k even for a centrifugal unit like Vortex that you run off side of motor with brackets instead of a roots style where you pull off top of motor. You have cost of charger, brackets, custom if no kit available, then plagued with tuning to get more fuel in, timing etc.
My customer does these Kits, I was all ready to have done on my Jeep, bolt on 110hp for low boost starter Gen1 kit that requires no engine or driveline work. I drove one of his Jeep jobs out the driveway I was yes yes. Hit it down on straight way, most definelty money well spent, highway...oh yeah. A few more miles and headed back...by the time I got back to his place...I was getting bored. Saved myself a few k. Adding 100hp was only a short term grin and I wasn't going to start playing with building up the motor to handle more. Just saying know what your after before you start chasing something your not willing to finish.
Or know what will make you smile and get to it.

Best advice I was given was from a customer, speed cost. Pay now or pay later.