Power to Instrument Panel

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Chuck Oliver

Power to Instrument Panel

Post by Chuck Oliver »

Guys,

I've been working on Another Joy over the last year or so and making pretty good progress. I finally got around to changing the Starbord starter. The old one looks like it could have come off a WW2 tank! First bump on the starter confirmed I did it right. When I turned the key on the port side which has been old faithful for years, I got nothing. No lights, no gauges, nothing. A quick test of shorting the two poles on the key switch and the same deal. The only recent change is that I cut the canvas top off to use as a template for a new one. Could the weather have fried the printed circuit board? Is there a fuse somewhere that I'm missing? Should I just bite the bullet and replace the panels? Even Uncle Vic with his ample resources would have found a way to rig it. I'm just an architect with four girls in private school. Where should I start troubleshooting?

Chuck
Custodian of Uncle Vic's Another Joy
Navatech

Re: Power to Instrument Panel

Post by Navatech »

Chuck Oliver wrote:Where should I start troubleshooting?
Most likely source for the problem will be a corroded connection... Another possible trouble spot would be the solenoid... Check all connections visually and physically... In my experience an automotive circuit tester like the Power Probe III is indispensable in these situations!...

Sure, you can achieve the same result with a standard multi tester but you'll always have to figure out if you have a good ground... Not that easy when you're not working on the engines... With a tool like this you have no such worries... You hook up the power leads, with or without the convenient extension leads and you start checking terminals... You should be able to locate the break in the circuit in no time...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Chuck

There is a circuit board on mine that is positioned right under my busted. That has been known to get wet and short out.

I know JP had moved it on Chimera so it was protected.

I would run a temporary power line to the bridge and see if I could energize the bridge.

Also one easier thing would be to first reconnect each of the wiring harness connections and clean them to see if that works.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Chuck Oliver

Post by Chuck Oliver »

Guys,

The circuit board was my first suspect. They don't play well with water but I don't want to run out and drop $300 on a new one until I'm sure its the culprit. The underside is a real rats nest. The starboard side is getting full power so I can easily jump the port from there. Assuming there's only one source of power to the panel, whats the first point of entry? The key switch? The back side of the key switch is loaded with wires so I'm assuming it sub-feeds the rest of the gauges and the circuit board. If I determine the panel is getting no power, what is its source? The solenoid? Thanks for the help guys. I wish Vic was around to ask but then he'd be doing it himself.

Chuck
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Chuck

You might be in luck. If you PM your email address I will scan and send you a copy of my wiring diagram to my 270 Cummins. Not sure how clear it will come out. You may need to enlarge it. I am sending this from a notepad and may not be able to send it until Monday night.

Your lucky day maybe. My wife just handed them earlier this morning and said I just found these what are they. Lol
1975 FBC BERG1467-315