run engines while out of the water

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jgrice

Post by jgrice »

is there any way to run the engines in a B31FBC while out of the water, we have a big restoration project underway and expect to be out till fall.
454 Crusaders, 350 HP
kellysmall

Post by kellysmall »

I installed a Groco engine flush fitting SSC-1250 between my raw water seacock and the intake to my v-drive intake on my B25 inboards. After a long day of fishing I just close the raw water valve and insert the fresh water hose into the fitting and let 'er rip. Flushes the engines and the v-drive with fresh water for as long as I let it run. Pretty convenient. All this is done while sitting on the dry-storage rack. Hope this helps.

-Kel
randall

Post by randall »

i run my 360 chryslers out of the water all the time.....ok, maybe not all the time but ive done it alot...my boat has crash valves... so i close the thru hull and feed water through the crash valve..(have a system of funnel and pipe)..if there is no provision for crash valves or winterizing you can detatch the intake hose and use that........stick it in a bucket and feed water into the bucket so no air gets in the system.....i assume you're only going to idle anyway.............i always hose down the cutless bearings in case i get some creep in the tranny....im an amature i'm sure the pros will chime in....good luck
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I do exactly the way Randallll does with the intake hose in a five gal bucket. Fill the bucket, stick the water hose in the bucket and start the engine. Make sure you've got plenty of water coming out the hose 'cause them BigBlocks will suck it up in a New York Minute!
A/K/A El Gaupo
jgrice

Post by jgrice »

thanks for the quick replies, guys, should have known this but I didn't. been reading the forum and have already picked up numerous tips to help us with the rebuild, I'm sure we will be on here a lot, thanks again