Drones.. interesting technology

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Drones.. interesting technology

Post by IRGuy »

Another interesting clip of several types of military drones.

The first section shows a swarm of over a hundred drones released from 3 fighter jets. The drones are designed to communicate with each other but apparently also fly different patterns or missions.. in the test shown the red dots appear to be the instantaneous target each drone is heading to, with the each drone shown in green. IMHO.. It is safe to say warfare will never be the same.

http://gcaptain.com/watch-over-100-micr ... formation/
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Navatech

Re: Drones.. interesting technology

Post by Navatech »

IRGuy wrote:Another interesting clip of several types of military drones.

The first section shows a swarm of over a hundred drones released from 3 fighter jets. The drones are designed to communicate with each other but apparently also fly different patterns or missions.. in the test shown the red dots appear to be the instantaneous target each drone is heading to, with the each drone shown in green. IMHO.. It is safe to say warfare will never be the same.

http://gcaptain.com/watch-over-100-micr ... formation/
Interesting to say the least... Having said that, look into a few tricks the IDF played on various opponents...

For example (and I'm not divulging anything confidential as it's all out there), during 1973 Yom Kippur war several IDF naval units sortied for an attack on Syria... During their progress the units proceeded in very close formation so that every pair of vessels looked like a single target on radar... They were joined by several pairs of IAF helicopters who did the same thing while flying practically on the wave tops... So, when the time came the Israeli force could split up and double the number targets visible to the Syrians... With many targets being "fakes"... Basically the Israelis were showing 4 times as many "targets" as there were in reality... And this was before they used additional measures which further confused the Syrians... They had to resort to such measures because the Israeli naval surface to surface missiles had a range that was less then half of the Soviet naval surface to surface missiles used by the Syrians (and Egyptians)...

By 1982 Israel was a world leader in UAV technology... However, despite the fact that the Israeli UAV's weren't capable of carrying offensive payloads they used the technology to great effect... Basically the UAV's served 2 purposes: reconnaissance and decoy targets...

I think that unmanned vehicles, vessels and aircraft will play increasing roles in warfare... And where they were originally remotely operated they're going to become more and more autonomous...
IRGuy

Re: Drones.. interesting technology

Post by IRGuy »

My to those of you who noticed my above description of what the video clip showed stated there was more content than the clip actually showed.. I posted text for one video clip, but posted the link to another clip.. and for some reason posts in this section of the web site can't be edited.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!