Cabrera

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

El Dorado

Cabrera

Post by El Dorado »

Not sure if this is appropriate and I hope I don't offend any sponsors, but can someone tell me if Cabrera is still in business and if they are what there new phone number is. I've tried everything from my old resources and just get a fax line.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Try 786-554-0183. They just finished a bow pulpit for me, so I know that they're still in biz.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
DwayneHauck

cabrera

Post by DwayneHauck »

yes they are still in business-i just got my deck kit from them last week.e-mail them at CabrerasKits@aol.com conchita will answer all your questions.hope that helps they do beautiful work
Capt. Mike Holmes

John

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

John, saw your boat heading down the road Saturday. Looked like it tried to fall off the trailer about across from Kirby, the wetbacks were pulled over and putting ropes on it there.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Mike,
I'm glad she's finally gone. Salvador said he should be done in 3 to 4 months. Going to be a totally different look. Can't wait. Everyone nailed the big snapper last weekend. Johny Richie caught a 100 lb warsaw real close in.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Snaps

Good for them. I'm probably done with the snaps. Putting an ad in Boats & Harbors for my permits, called the guy in Port A and had him list them, and put them on Sportfishing.com's for sale forum. Tried to put them on 2coolfishing.com, but that isn't a real user friendly format. Plus, most of the people that post, or at least a lot of the ones I read, are goofy as hell.

Johnnie is a good fisherman, and has a lucky streak, also.

I got my intake pipe back and installed, ran the engines. Need to finish this book project, which will probably run over schedule, then install the new controls (nothing wrong with the old ones, except I wanted to change), move the steering, do a bottom job, and go fishing. We'll make a tarpon trip when I get ready, need to scout some.
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

What you asking for the permits?

Are they cheaper than normal because they have not been used for years?
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Hyena boy, they been used they just ain't produced.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Come on, Mike. Fight back!
Capt. Mike Holmes

Permits

I'm glad you reminded me about that, Ernest. I need to change my ad to mention they are very lightly used. Of course, they are kinda old, since I had the first Federal Charter Permit issued in Freeport.

I'm starting at $10,000, and I'll even autograph them.

I read a post on that other board this morning by Snapper Slapper Woody (whom I knew when he was a Clear Lake area bartender), saying he had permits for two years but got them taken away because he didn't make 50% of his income chartering. I found that interesting, because there is no income requirement on these permits, only on commercial reef fish. I would suspect that what happened is they got their's just before the moratorium went into effect, when new permits came with the warning that if the law passed, none issued before the cut off date would be valid.

I'm going to reserve snapper, grouper, etc for "fun" fishing, never really liked chartering for snapper and kings, anyway. With new restrictions on captain's licensing and requirements coming all the time, who knows how long anybody will be chartering? Who knows if my sort of repaired back will even let me bounce around offshore much?

Are you going to try to go to Rockport for the 31 thing? The owner of Key Allegro told me he's giving free dockage for it, even for hyena boats.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Call back on John?

John, tried to call you a little while ago. Wanted to insult Ernest, or Timmy, or somebody.
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

In all seriousness, I wonder what the market is going to do in light of the recent interim rule and the forecasted changes for 2008.

I was kinda thinking about fishing down in Rockport. Fished out of Port O'Conner a time or two, and the run to the East Breaks is not that bad. I e-mailed them about fishing, and I think my name is now on the e-mail list. Might be a fun event.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Rockport

I think it will be fun. I'm planning to be there, with or without my boat. The run across the bay to Port A isn't bad - all deep water, few chances to run aground. Some good "inshore" placs to fish for bluewater stuff, like hospital Rock. Also got invited to cover the Rockport Offshore Challenge in July.

I talked to a permit broker Monday, he said they are going for $8,500 to $9,500 a pair, whereas without the reduction in TAC for snapper he had expected them to fetch $12,000 this year. John had a buyer last week willing to pay $8,000, but I took too long making up my mind. John got $10,000 for his not too long ago. The only reason I can see for the price to still be up as much as it is could be folks are worried about possible increased enforcement. If I'm not going to use mine, and there are no more being issued, might as well sell them to somebody who needs them.