Enjoy the daily liner

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Enjoy the daily liner

Post by Yannis »

This happens every day, this very one between two islands 15 miles apart. Every day...
When this is done, watch the approach at the little island port with the waves over the rocks, ..., bertram weather indeed !
Common during windy summer, or winter.. days, every days...

https://youtu.be/yka8qBC-2ms
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Rawleigh

Re: Enjoy the daily liner

Post by Rawleigh »

I bet there is some throwing up going on in there!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rawleigh, you just cannot imagine !

Especially the old ladies .... The crew is very skillful, they give bag-outs, like in the plane...once they reach the main port of Pireas they disinfect..

I take my 28' in (almost) this weather and go places, and I do not throw up ! Imay drown but without throwing up...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Rawleigh, you just cannot imagine !

Especially the old ladies .... The crew is very skillful, they give bag-outs, like in the plane...once they reach the main port of Pireas they disinfect..

I take my 28' in (almost) this weather and go places, and I do not throw up ! Imay drown but without throwing up...

Thats just nuts...nobody decided to build a breakwater? Love the following videos with them backing in and flipping door open with waves coming over... I got to the one with door raising several feet up and back down, cars timing when to go.

You go out in that snot? Your a better man then me. It get like that I sit at the dock. If I'm out in in....thats a different story.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl, what breakwater, the guy films with a super zooming lens from ashore while the boat is in the middle between two islands... Islands are usually 10-20 miles apart. This is outside Mykonos, the windiest of all.

Yeah, the following video in that little port, with the waves coming over the dock... super ! Been there...Believe it or not this is common practice in the winter... these boats must be doing over 10000 approaches every year, super captains.

Do I go out in this? Hell, sometimes I have no choice... usually this kind of weather (force 7,8,9, this is more like 8) is to completely avoid, sit back, invite friends and drink and eat as if theres no tomorrow... this summer it was always like this, except 3 or 4 days in 3 months!
This is why i did 300 miles, instead of my usual 700-800.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I meant a breakwater for the ferries going into port to load/unload.

I found out some years ago the boat can handle alot more then I can. I'll do a fun run to play in the snot once in awhile, use as a little shake down...but long trips knowing its going to be like that, only if I have to. Otherwise its Miller Time!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl, I agree, there is no reason to play Tarzan...

As for the port, there are hundreds of ports with hundreds of breakwaters that protect USUALLY from the prevailing north winds.
Now, if there was a breakwater for EVERY wind, then there just wouldnt be an entrance to the port!
Obviously, these short videos in the ports are when there are winds other than north ones!
Usually in the winter.

Hey, did you guys vote?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

That takes some real seamanship to do that safely too!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:
Hey, did you guys vote?

Can't complain if you don't vote...

Yes I voted.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rawleigh wrote:That takes some real seamanship to do that safely too!

Safely???

OASHA would have a field day if that was done here...

Lawyers would be waiting in line to get their next case.

Maybe you missed this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKZWSWP3UKU
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

Rawleigh probably referred to the safety of the ship, not of the fiat panda. In this context, these captains are heroes. You have to see what they do, to believe it.

As for the damages to the cars etc, I am not aware of the legal framework, but one of two things may be happening.
Either the shipping line recognizes no responsibility (more probable) and it is therefore up to the driver to enter or simply miss the trip, or the driver is insured via his car ticket.

One thing is not happening though, what would perhaps happen in the US, as you also describe it, whereby you can claim hundreds of thousands of dollars because you spilled your hot coffee on your genitalia and so you can claim damages for not being able to satisfy your wife who, as a result, is unhappy at her office and her productivity has dropped. This system makes happy lawyers and insurance companies.
Carl

Post by Carl »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyrMgBzVT2E

Yannis,

I get your point.

But in these parts the Captain is responsible for the ship, crew, passengers and I'd presume "the almost passengers" too. If he was not, I'd say certainly the shipping company that allows cars to board in that manner is. I'd also go as far as to say the passengers walking in that area with waves cresting over the pier would be more then a potential lawsuit in the waiting.
Platform raising and lowering off the pier...in these parts the lawyers would be salivating.
We have worked on the Staten Island Ferry Gangway. After boats secured...gangway lowers and only slight motion is permissible. If gangway lifted a hair and someone where to trip walking on or off. Better then hitting Lotto... Unfortunate, but true.

See here in the US we do not believe in personal responsibility, it is all about who can be blamed and sued. That is usually the entity with the money. Sue the Captain, but only because it gets your claws into the ship owner who hired him.

Here...bringing a ship that close to a solid structure in the best conditions would be frowned upon. In those conditions I'd say any injury would have caption up on charges of negligence.

This is only coming from a machinist/shop owner. The crap I'm liable for is ridiculous. If a guy were to put a pallet on forks, sat on pallet and was lifted him up a couple feet to paint a regular 8' doorway...If OSHA saw that done...hand my keys over, I'm done. If guy decided to jump off and hurt himself...I'm done, finished.

I think this is why I am so...how shall I say...Are you kidding me they allow this?

Its a Major problem here...

On the flip side...I have seen people dock with Bow thrusters on a 25' boat, no wind, dock fingers on both sides and they can't get in...never mind a ship in weather. Cool stuff.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

The link with the car that went fishing has NOT happened in Greece. Also, I'm not sure who is to blame when the ship has already visibly left port and the driver thinks he is kind of Starsky and Hatch, or James Bond...

As for the rest, about all conceivable liability about things went wrong that you describe, well, this is exactly what I was referring to. In other words you do not need (in Europe in general, I'd say) to inform the consumer that he should not use his microwave oven to dry his cat, the court will probably tell him that he is stupid. Everybody in his neighborhood too will think it's hilarious.

To change the subject, I will go down to the boat today to start the engines after two months on the hard. I have not rinsed the salt water out yet...I wonder what might go wrong.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis,

I used to think the cases brought to court were hilarious and be tossed out...but then they win and suddenly its not so funny anymore.
Being in business or owning anything is constantly worrying about somebody doing something stupid then they turn around and sue you.

Yes, please change the subject...
Only two months on the hard, I wouldn't worry too much. I think you should be in good shape!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Navatech

Post by Navatech »

The way it works is that they drop the anchor and then back down towards the dock... Once close they get two more lines out the stern... Basically creating a 3 point anchoring system...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

This is what we all do also.
Anchor out and reverse to dock.
I also do the other way around, but its more complicated because I have to bring out the second anchor and sometimes even go drop it with the dinghy.