NMFS Closes 2016 Atlantic Bluefin Tuna

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

NMFS Closes 2016 Atlantic Bluefin Tuna

Post by Navatech »

NMFS Closes the 2016 Atlantic Bluefin Tuna General Category Fishery, Coastwide, on November 4, 2016:

https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/other/ListS ... 202016.pdf
bob lico

Re: NMFS Closes 2016 Atlantic Bluefin Tuna

Post by bob lico »

yep we nail 11 yellowfin last week no bluefin in sight. these we huge we had to go home early no more room in the two 6'x 20" kill boxes ! very productive fall so far.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

bob lico wrote:yep we nail 11 yellowfin last week no bluefin in sight. these we huge we had to go home early no more room in the two 6'x 20" kill boxes ! very productive fall so far.
I think I need to go out with you sometime... I know it will be an education for me...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

when we fish stripers,sea bass we go out in " storm warnings and sometimes gale warnings" i have to stay on bridge with engines running with bow into the wind my son and the fares don`t feel the rough seas till we head for home with limit the good part is no boats around you at all.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

bob lico wrote:when we fish stripers,sea bass we go out in " storm warnings and sometimes gale warnings" i have to stay on bridge with engines running with bow into the wind my son and the fares don`t feel the rough seas till we head for home with limit the good part is no boats around you at all.
I experienced my first typhoon (same thing as a hurricane but in the Pacific) at age 4... The ship was on it's way from the Panama to Japan... My dad was the Chief Engineer... I spent the storm sliding on a cushion in the alleyway with the Captain's daughter (my age)... When she tired of the fun I watched the waves by sitting in the window...

Meanwhile my father was dealing with a damage control emergency... A couple of portholes had broken... My mother was doing her impression of a roaring lioness... In the head... <grin>
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you have to understand this unique boat handling ability did not come easy. first of all you absolutely have to have single lever controls on a pod.next you have SS tie rod and drag link all ball bearings (like a race car). then you need huge rudders that are LONGER then props.the props have leading edge cupped the entire distance from hup to tip then reverse around the back side (a copy of nuclear sub. prop profile) now you have to have perfect vision of oncoming waves like a bridge with no obstructions,then you need massive instant torque than responds in a second (fuel injection pump timing).and last of all NO trim tabs because the boat must transfer weight instantly like drag race car and boat will launch forward with bow proud. i know you piloted 8,000 boats in your life but this is 8001 the boat starts turning in one foot and will turn 90 degrees in boat 30 feet. i captain a 510 Bertram and would not dare hold her into gale warning at idle in proxmity to beach! years ago my retire job was to take landlubers out with salesmen and bafoon them into buying a$359,000 center console with triple 300 or 350hp yamaha motors.never for get 38' fountain with "bump" computers 1200 hp. could not get on plane with every trick in the book like going in circles .seas were 6 to 7' but close together. "how fast is she" 70 plus mph" wow but how fast in 7 footers-------------5mph! you mean to tell me that 31 bertram blew by you at 16-17 --------------yep . those center consoles can not get up in those conditions especially almost every day occurrence in Fire Island inlet this time of year. so i am all alone out there except those 35' down easterners . that can also sit there but they don`t move they take the hit on the bow! i will include a photo of my friends boat that will go out there right along side.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

bob lico wrote:you have to understand this unique boat handling ability did not come easy. Etc. etc. etc...
I wasn't even thinking about that angle... I was thinking about picking up some fishing tips... And I thought the earlier post about heavy weather was a warning of the weather I could expect... But hey, it's all good...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

that post is the tip!!! big bass don`t like boat traffic so in order to beat the odds you have a big set of balls and take a kayak out there will stelth or you do the above with no boat anywhere in sight. and live line on free spool with line between your fingers slowly paying out into a big bass sitting on the bottom and waiting for the wounded bunker flowing by unable to maintain stability in the current makes for easy meal. the "johnny come lately" boaters go chasing bunker pods with birds all day.maybe some cocktail blues and a occasional 28 30" keeper.you need patients is all you need along with live bunker.pete and charlie are bass pro`s and do this all the time while i use to troll with all kinds of fancy hand made dredges ,twin mojo (shad) on triple swival,umbrella rigs,bunker spoons, you name it .yes we get bass but nothing like the live line monsters. we pulled in 20 keeper bass in one hour trolling along side the"sticks" in raretan (sp.?) bay three weeks ago one was 42". but that the biggest on troll.
Last edited by bob lico on Nov 5th, '16, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

My son went offshore this weekend targeting wahoo.. He ends up with yellow fin tuna after he broke out "green machines". They are imports from NY. I guess the fish do not share a preference for what they eat. Lazy mans trolling. Asked why there we not any of UV's favorite plastic lures out there. Mike, please help me remember what it is. Got them in inventory also.. wide rangers??? Do not mean to hijack the thread.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Terry

Green machines and cedar plugs always catch fish, inshore or offshore. Don't be afraid to pull cedar plugs offshore.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

terry there is no such thing as a hyjacked thread on this board. say what you want. we are trying to take back our country from the pussies this is the board thats leading the pack. moving right along in and around Montauk they will troll with a parachute lure by holding the rod backwards and pulling it to you then release .the grass skirt moves both way and attracts bass ,funny the method does not work at all in fire island inlet only 100 miles away. who knows!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this is the other boat in the marina that can go out anytime and also take the 40 knot wind blow water on the bridge.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

She looks top heavy. What make boat?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Is that bridge ladder as tight to the bulkhead as it looks to be??

So you got to fish my neck of the woods, Raritan Bay.

Between the houses along the swash channel is my favorite spot with spoons. Although tough to fish when blowing.
Princess bay has been real hot too..although a short bite and I have been able to get there just after it ends consistently.

Thought I had it timed perfect yesterday. Nobody but me wanted to go Saturday night. I get up Sunday, walk dog...say bye to Doreen and she decides it looks nice out, she wants to go...
Another cup of coffee for me as she gets done.
Now ready to leave, my youngest, turned 13 on Friday, decided she wants to go now too. Okay, not a problem, a minute for her to toss something on and we'll be on our way. A few minutes later the shower goes on! 20 minutes later we are trying to pick out the best shirt..., sorry excuse me, which "Blouse" goes with...then the hair.

4 mugs of coffee later my hands are shaken, my eyes r a twitchen, but we are finally out the door.

Get a few blocks...they are hungry, can we stop for a...

Never a good sign to see boats heading back as your going out.

Still, I was very happy to be out draggen lines...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I feel for you. Since my wife has become my fishing partner getting rolling is not as fast as it used to be.

But you have it times 2. Lol
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Carl

I feel for you. Since my wife has become my fishing partner getting rolling is not as fast as it used to be.

But you have it times 2. Lol

Times 3...but the oldest at 17 only goes fishing now if she can lie on deck for sun.

Wife has always gone...when dating we would meet at the marina during the week at 4am to catch the early bite, then rush back in and head out to work. She is usually ready about same time I am. This time she wasn't going...but I gave a last minute, are you sure? looks real nice out...so that was my fault.
Jess hates getting up early and rushing out...so Doreen asking her was only a nicety as she was saying bye. But she said yes...and that was Dor's fault... Jess used to toss anything on and didn't care if hair was done, standing on end or sticking straight out...I guess 13 was the turning point for caring.

I used to have a rule...be at the dock on time as boat leaves when I said it's leaving. Had a couple people miss departure time. Once Dor was late...I left. Coming back into the slip...oh boy, not a happy camper,apparently she sat there waiting. Rest of the guys cringed when they saw her death gaze for leaving without her. Guess this is lifes payback.

It's all good.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

carl

You forgot the the golden rule.

Happy wife, happy life.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:carl

You forgot the the golden rule.

Happy wife, happy life.

Tony, Who forgot the Golden Rule?

We were two hours late for a 2 hour bite BECAUSE of that Golden Rule...
Then got to hear, huh, no fish.

LOL