Making the V berth a better ZZZZ berth

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stuart Cooperrider

Making the V berth a better ZZZZ berth

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

I know these boats aren't supposed to be luxurious but I need to address the cushions in the v berth. Would love to hear from anyone about what you've done to make it more comfortable for an overnight or two. I came home from the Newport Boat Show with a half dozen brochures and talked to several custom mattress builders. Not sure I want to spend for an innerspring but want more than the 5" of foam that came with boat when I bought it 15 years ago. (I know)...
Currently, I'm getting by with a 2" memory foam mattress topper that I cut into shape with an electric carving knife (try finding one of those these days) and laid on top of the foam mattress. BTW, the knife was avocado. It's very comfy but is shredding along the edges and not a long term solution. If you have a recommendation or a supplier or a McGuyver fix, I'm all ears. I'm on Cape Cod.
Thanks in advance.
Stu
Yannis

Re: Making the V berth a better ZZZZ berth

Post by Yannis »

Stuart,

The current configuration of my 28 is the known v berth, plus an almost double (120X200cm) bed, where the dinette was.
I spend 2-3 months on the boat every year, which means I sleep up to 80 or so nights on either bed, depending on what the people combination is.
When I did my redo, I changed the original foam mattresses in the v berth with similar new foam ones, not the very soft type, with new zippered covers of my preference. The result is fine for me, I like harder beds and I sleep comfortably on them.

For the dinette, however, I decided to go yet more "comfort" so I went to Ikea and bought a double latex matress (which is the latex matress per se, plus its white ikea zippered fluffy cover) which latex I then trimmed into shape with a pair of common scissors, then took the ikea cover to a lady to trim the excess material and move the zipper to fit the mattress snugly, and then covered the whole thing up with the same material as in the v berth.
Result? Perfect! Comfortable, suitable for a good night sleep but also very appropriate to just sit on, when the bed is turned into a sofa (day time). I feared it might have been too warm for the hot greek summer, but it is not, I'm very pleased with my choice.

This is a friend taking a siesta... the lower part of the back rest (the long and thin brown pillow) rests on a 2 cm board which is inturn secured on a T shape metal bar. The vertical part of the T will slide into the rectangular teak pockets (one of which you see on the hanging locker's side) so as to give the bed its final sleeping dimensions.

I recently went back to ikea to buy another latex mattress for my home, apparently they do not carry those normal latex mattressses anymore (12-14cm), they only carry those thin (2-5cm) overmattresses but I' m sure that if you look around you'll find latex matresses; consider though that they are at least twice the weight of ordinary foam.
Last edited by Yannis on Oct 18th, '16, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Excellent idea especially if someone can make their own covers. Even if someone just cut it to shape and then took the final product to a seamstress to make the cover.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Yes, Tony, my mother who was doing all these things in the past,is now getting a bit too old for this....therefore the seamstress or yet better, he who sells the foam mattresses, can easily do the covers, plus, the latter will offer you a great variety of colors and qualities to choose from.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Dug

Post by Dug »

Hi Stuart,

I had my v-berth cushions done over when I first got the boat 16-17 years ago or so. I had them made with open cell foam, and they have been very comfortable for me. I like soft cushions, but they have worked for me. I had them covered with Ultra suede which I LOVE but I won't ever use again as it is not UV stable and has turned to dust. Literally.

My cushion and canvas guy in Noank has told me he can do all kinds of stuff to enhance if I ever want, from building on a topper, etc. We had this discussion because I have to re-cover my v-berth cushions.

I kinda feel like this may or may not be the answer you are looking for. But in Newport I used Kevin Corrado to do my enclosure etc and he did a great job. My cushions were made by Custom Marine Canvas in Noank, who also do very good work!

Hope that helps.

Dug
Stuart Cooperrider

Thanks everyone and Dug being that your source is in Newport I'll explore. Now if someone could direct me to how to install Vibrating Fingers under the mattress, I'll be fully obliged.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Stuart Cooperrider wrote:Thanks everyone and Dug being that your source is in Newport I'll explore. Now if someone could direct me to how to install Vibrating Fingers under the mattress, I'll be fully obliged.
I had a comment but thought better of it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Stuart Cooperrider

Hah! I think I appreciate your restraint. Perhaps the Bertram MF V Berth edition would have allowed Bertram to raise the price and maybe extend production. I'll suggest it as an option on the new 35.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Stuart Cooperrider wrote:Hah! I think I appreciate your restraint. Perhaps the Bertram MF V Berth edition would have allowed Bertram to raise the price and maybe extend production. I'll suggest it as an option on the new 35.
Funny that you should make THAT as your 69th post on the board...