New B35 in Annapolis

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

New B35 in Annapolis

Post by John F. »

Thanks to Crae R., John D., and Robert S., I got to see the new B35 at the Annapolis Yacht Club, and meet Morgan Bertram and talk to Tommy Thompson for a bit. Tommy was really nice to talk to, and really into the whole Bertram thing.

The new B35 is really pretty, and is like a big B31 (a really big B31). This boat is "rigged" as a cocktail cruiser, with a flip down bench seat where the live well should be, no riggers, top, rod holders, etc. It looked to me like it could be well rigged for fishing, as it had a big enough cockpit and the FB was pretty close to the pit. It has decent size under-deck fish boxes, and a space where the live well/small kill box should be. I really didn't scope it out much as how to fish rig it, because its just a tad out of my price range, and as a fish boat, its almost a blank slate. This one isn't the least bit fishy. The specs. show the fuel capacity at 315 gallons, which strikes me as awfully light for a 30+ knot, 35' canyon boat. Visually, the boat, to me, is just stunning. If its at show near you, its worth a look just to see what they've done. I really hope they do well.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Re: New B35 in Annapolis

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Thanks. I was hoping to catch her at the AC show but Bertram had to cancel and the weather was not the best in the world anyway.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I was first on the B35 yesterday. I don't care what the price tag says, it's an incredible boat. Bertram says it has a draft of 2.5 feet with the prop pockets. I think this is a major plus for the boat.

Of course, the sticker price has many digits. Need something a little less expensive? Walk down the dock and see the Worton Creek restored B31. That one is a work of art - gas to diesel conversion - trick bridge mods - 380 Cummins. Looks like it was produced last week, not 45 years ago.

Fun!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Cam - How much was the Whorton Creek restoration? Did John put pockets in this one?

Ian.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Any pictures of the Wharton Creek boat?
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the B31. It's a sportfish model owned locally. There area few in process pictures on the web site:

http://wortoncreek.com/projects/2016/2/ ... uilds.html#

Cost? No clue. Probably cheaper than the new B35, It was a 2 year project for the shop. Lots of custom touches
1963 Bertram 25
bsmart

Post by bsmart »

I have a bunch of Pics of the last WC 31--- The owner is a friend and let me crawl around and take some close-ups. WC is currently installing the same engine package in my 31. Needless to say I am looking forward to spring.

I also had the pleasure have hopping aboard the new 35 this AM while they where doing a photoshoot and getting some additional baseline performance data. My wife promptly accused me of being a groupie and verified i didn't "throw my panties at them to get back stage".

Ill get the Pics and a video up a little later today.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

bsmart wrote:My wife promptly accused me of being a groupie and verified i didn't "throw my panties at them to get back stage"
You wear panties?!... That's waaaay too much information for me!... <evil grin>
bsmart

Post by bsmart »

Its more like Dirty Boxers --But she realized the lack of humor in that description....
bsmart

Post by bsmart »

WCs last 31

bsmart

Post by bsmart »

Some pics from the New35 this AM.

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Both boats are sweet.

I am waiting how that 35 handles in some big water. I know they alluded in an email it handled well, but would like to hear an independent view on that one.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Three comments about the 35 (just to say something):

1. I'd wish the center of the helm bear the Bertram logo, better yet, the Bertram eagle.
2. The two cleats aft are FAR more practical if mounted at an angle, like in my attached pic.
3. I would have preferred the spray fairing up top to have been placed in the opposite angle, like in our boats.

.....these are the main reasons I'm not buying the boat lol !!!

1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed...
1963 Bertram 25
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

CamB25 wrote:I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed...
I would!... But don't ask what I'd do to them on the rug... <grin>
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Can anyone think of a production boat builder who has ever 'gone back to their roots' in such a way?

Whilst we all have our critiques of the new B35 doubtless we all admire [most of!] its lines etc. and especially the attempt of Bertram at a return to 'old school.'
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Waytooslow

Post by Waytooslow »

Last week on the TV show "Ship Shape" they did a little segment on the B35 in conjunction with the Newport show. Nice boat!
1963 B-25 Project (in process)
Atl. GA
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I ran into a friend of mine over the weekend. He saw the boat in Brielle NJ. It was on a trailer on the way to the show in Maryland. He said he had to do a double take. Not expecting to see it, his first thought was, wow that is buce a 31 but it looks too big.

He could not see the cockpit but said it was a nice looking boat sitting on the trailer.

Not sure why they were going through Brielle. Kind of out of the way, unless they are trying to tempt Comstock or one of the other big dealers to become a dealer.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I have been looking at some of the pics ----not sure if it is because there is no bimini or hard top----but the 3 chairs on the bridge look overpowering for the size of the bridge
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Tony,

Probably Hoffman's.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joe

Could have been. I am sure they are trying get potential dealers lined up and excited.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Tony,

They have been steadily expanding their operation this year.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joe

Funny how things change in the marine business. Years ago, dealers held a line for years. Now they keep them a few years and then change. From what I am seeing, the dealers that sold high end boats at one time, have a tendency to drop a line to put in a more affordable line. Smart in order to move more boats which should mean making more money. But some times I think in the long haul, they find out that they actually hurt themselves by loosing some loyal high end customers.

Henriques nailed it with direct selling. Quality boat, and virtually no dealers. Great Customer service. What more can you ask for.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Joe

Years ago, dealers held a line for years. Now they keep them a few years and then change. From what I am seeing, the dealers that sold high end boats at one time, have a tendency to drop a line to put in a more affordable line. Smart in order to move more boats which should mean making more money. But some times I think in the long haul, they find out that they actually hurt themselves by loosing some loyal high end customers.

I thought they shopped around for who's giving the best options to put boats on their space at better margins.

Also today with the web...people shop all over the country in a few keystokes...so if you can't get the deal you want here, then they'll go to a dealership down the coast. Customers are about as loyal to dealerships as the dealers are to the customers and builders.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Who makes these engine controls?!... I'm referring to the throttles... Mechanical or electronic?!...
bsmart

Post by bsmart »

I'm not 100% sure but I think the control arms are Ongara with the integrated thruster switch and she is all electronic. I'm headed to flibs early Thursday and can confirm.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

bsmart wrote:I'm not 100% sure but I think the control arms are Ongara with the integrated thruster switch and she is all electronic. I'm headed to flibs early Thursday and can confirm.
The actuating handle is indeed by Ongaro Marine... I confirmed this by sight based on pictures on their web site... They only make the handle... I.e. not the mechanism on the inside...