Marine Electronics

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Marine Electronics

Post by PeterPalmieri »

So I am starting to plan out my Winter/Spring project.

I need to update the electronics on the boat; GPS, Sounder, add radar, VHF and stereo. Along with new switch panels for lights, pumps etc. I would like to consider flush mounting a 7" screen on either vertical dashboard area, one on either side of the helm. I'm not concerned with having a big screen as we are mostly local and staying near shore these days. I would like the ability to view on an ipad, mostly the fishfinder from the cockpit but maybe occasionally use a temporary mount on the bridge. It would be nice to be able to control the stereo from the unit, so I can mount it in the cabin and be able to access iphone music etc.

I do have separate gear and throttle controls so space is limited, I'd like to remove the overhead electronics box which now houses the VHF and stereo.

So my thought is two displays on the dash, that are small enough to fit. The first question being can I buy a main unit and a display or should I buy two units (example Raymarine E7). Is there an advantage to mount a unit under the brow of the bridge for when I'm drift fishing or is an ipad app sufficient. Right now I have a Foruno fishfinder and Garmin GPS, I guess I'm assuming a multifunction display is my best option but I am open to opinion.

I would like to keep the equipment around 5k and will have everything professionally installed. Any thoughts to help me put my ducks in a row would be helpful.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
ranjr13

Re: Marine Electronics

Post by ranjr13 »

Peter - a couple thoughts. We put a new nav-electronics system onto our "new" 31 this summer and can speak to some, not all of your concerns. Our stuff is all the latest Raymarine products, an e128s with Downvision sonar and Quantum broadband radar. I also put a fixed mount thermal camera on for night vision but you're not looking for that.

The es line (7", 9" 12") come with basic "Lighthouse" charts and operating system, and accept all major chart manufacturers. There are 2 models of each size, but you can get the Downvision software built into any of the three sizes. All are Bluetooth/Wifi equipped for mobile devices. The hybrid screens with controls let you either do everything from touch screen or combination of dial switch with mouse button in center. You need to purchase a transducer, either basic or Downvision to be mounted as you choose - we went with bronze through-hull, including faring block.

You said you're adding a radar. Not sure what type of mount, but if I were adding it to a flybridge model, I'd seriously consider the Quantum for this reason - it emits less harmful electronic transmission than a cell phone, and draws very little amps. Thus, you can mount this on the front of the bridge, and not be concerned about health issues as you do for standard pulse radar. If you're putting it on top of a tower or pole, then that issue is gone, but the Quantum is a nice close in radar that draws very little juice.

I believe you should be around your budget for everything, not sure about installation for that price. I used to be a Garmin only person, but with Quantum am now a believer in this setup for Raymarine. Best of luck with whatever you choose.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks Bob!
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Peter,

I know I only have a 25 but the principles should be the same. I had to go with single controls as I needed the real estate. I mounted the Simrad flush. Looks great but would be better viewed from an angled platform. Just to keep the sun glare off the unit. This will be one of my winter projects.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Joe,

From the little I see the boat looks great, you should post up more pics.

Pete
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

What ever you do, make sure you have a hand held GPS as back up along with paper charts. The combo units are great until something quits on them.

Garmin are nice units but it is still hard to beat during. If you can get by with a notepad, that should work fine. Really, once you set up to drift, do you really need the second sonar station that often. If I need to mark a waypoint, I find I can still get to the bridge fast enough to hit the mob function.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bsmart

Post by bsmart »

Peter,

I was able to squeeze a 9inch simrad nss somewhat flush and not protruding above the top edge of the original top edge (where the plexiglass is mounted). My goal was to have all the electronics very accesable but also leave space for drinks or to put my feet up. I had a guy make a teak mounting frame such that the unit can be clearly seen whether standing or sitting, I'm repowering this winter --When I do I'm going with a teak pod and pulling the bertram warning panel and my autopilot control ...and putting a matching nss with the teak frame in that spot... With simrad you can control 100% of the AP from the NSS and I have a bluetooth remote control.

I'll post a pic in a few minutes.

Also I own a marine electronics company and will be selling any nss I have because rumor has it the new nss3 is coming out in the spring. I also have a mass of demo from all manufacturers that we get rid of after Annap Boat Show.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony Meola wrote:Peter

What ever you do, make sure you have a hand held GPS as back up along with paper charts. The combo units are great until something quits on them.

Garmin are nice units but it is still hard to beat during. If you can get by with a notepad, that should work fine. Really, once you set up to drift, do you really need the second sonar station that often. If I need to mark a waypoint, I find I can still get to the bridge fast enough to hit the mob function.
Thanks Tony, I keep a handheld in the ditchbag, also have a phone app and papercharts. Absolutely need a sounder all the time, if I'm drifting I want to see the structure below me, I want to see what's down there if I'm chasing bait and I want to see the depth to know if I'm drifting out of a zone. When I come out of gear I get in the cockpit and fish, I don't hang out on the bridge unless I need too. This is also especially true when chasing bass along the beach in the fall. If you are only looking for signs of life on the surface you probably aren't catching much. if you can get down current of some surface activity and can stay on top of the bait you have a great chance at big fish. Or if you can find bait and stay on it while everyone is else looking up in the air to see where the birds are headed next. You also learn to spot bait that doesn't have fish on them and know when to move on.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

bsmart wrote:Peter,

I was able to squeeze a 9inch simrad nss somewhat flush and not protruding above the top edge of the original top edge (where the plexiglass is mounted). My goal was to have all the electronics very accesable but also leave space for drinks or to put my feet up. I had a guy make a teak mounting frame such that the unit can be clearly seen whether standing or sitting, I'm repowering this winter --When I do I'm going with a teak pod and pulling the bertram warning panel and my autopilot control ...and putting a matching nss with the teak frame in that spot... With simrad you can control 100% of the AP from the NSS and I have a bluetooth remote control.

I'll post a pic in a few minutes.

Also I own a marine electronics company and will be selling any nss I have because rumor has it the new nss3 is coming out in the spring. I also have a mass of demo from all manufacturers that we get rid of after Annap Boat Show.
Excellent, I'm going to have to start taking measurements, I may have wrongly assumed I couldn't get away with anything bigger.
bsmart

Post by bsmart »

Im having a bitch of a time getting the photos up from a shared Google Album... some pics of what i did are at

http://smartmarineelectronics.com/index ... mrad-demo/
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

bsmart wrote:Im having a bitch of a time getting the photos up from a shared Google Album... some pics of what i did are at

http://smartmarineelectronics.com/index ... mrad-demo/
That is exactly what I am looking to do, thank you...