Question about a B31 for sale

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

Question about a B31 for sale

Post by scenarioL113 »

Anyone know this vessel for sale?

The "Don Q" for sale out of Nantucket/Hyannis area....

I am starting to put the feelers out for a 31. I love my B28 but really been thinking about a 31.

It is the model I particularly like but dont know much about Yanmars. My first choice would be Cummins but.....you know, beggars cant be choosers. Wish now was like 2yrs from now but....again you know....

Frank V
Long Island
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tommy

Re: Question about a B31 for sale

Post by Tommy »

Frank,

Capt. Patrick and Bruce repowered my 31 with the 6LP-STE Yanmar 315 HP back in 2001 and I got excellent service out of the engines for 10 years, and the new owner reports that he continues to get excellent service out of them. Mine had 2:1 gears w/20-23 four-blade props and would cruise at an honest 30 knots ("honest" meaning full fuel and gear; not running stripped-down). Like any engine they need to be serviced by the book including zincs changed. The Don Q looks like a very nice boat. Although I would not have any use for the cockpit controls, the renovations appear to have been well done and the asking price appears to be fair.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Frank--Don't be afraid of Yanmars if the seller can show you a decent set of maintenance receipts and records. I repowered my B31 SF in 2004 with Yanmar 315's and have been happy with them. As Tommy says, pay attention to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, especially the engine zinc and Yanmar coolant changes. I noticed they re-issued coolant change guidance a few years ago which indicates to me there may have been some issues with corrosion although I have not experienced any. For what its worth I talked with an old timer at the local Yanmar dealer who told me they normally start to see these engines at about 1800-2,000 hours.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Tommy - I saw this boat last Fall, for sale, about 30K higher in asking price. They had it on the hard in Hyannis, MA. The pics are from when it was in Nantucket, not sure how many years old. I didn't pass because of the Yanmars (I wound up purchasing a 31 with older Yanmars than Don Q's and they are great), I passed up because I wasn't happy with the quality of the refurb, and my gut told me that the boat had no tlc since the refurb.

To get into the boat, you open outward the transom door, but it hits the swim platform so you have to bend one or the other to use it. Little things like that throughout the boat kept me away. The inside layout was changed 100% from original, so if you're at all a Bertram purist, this is now very different. I'd have a Yanmar dealer not associated with the broker go through the engines to make sure they are good - like I said it's been out of the water for a while now.

That said, everything gets down in price to a point where you understand you'll have some work to do, and if the engines check out 100%, this value isn't too far off. Get a good mechanical survey as well as marine purchase survey so you know for sure what you're getting into.

There was one in Maryland with Cummins motors that just sold for around 35K. I passed on that one because of the lack of tlc, found one a bit older, with Yanmar 230hp engines, that showed tons of signs of positive tlc, and am very happy we held out for it.

Don Q is about 3 hours from me, but I could try to help out and look again if you can't find someone closer. Best of luck.

Bob
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Thanks for the input. I really do appreciate it. I am not sold on the tuna door, swim platform, or the large pulpit. It is a beautiful boat but I realistically need to see a few in person close up.
I dont think the timing is right at the moment but if the deal of the century floats by me, I may have to piss my wife off and.....hehe...

What are the running specs on 31's with the yanmar 315's? cruise speed and GPH etc...?

I ask the same question with 6BTA series and 6BT series if anyone can share?

I have it in my mind that I want a 31 and have decided that I am going to do it.

You see, I believe karma is at work BUT I said to myself that I would never sell my B28 because it was the last huge project I did with my father before his untimely death. Anyone that has ever done a gas to diesel conversion (which included rebuilds that we did ourselves) knows the amount of blood and sweat that goes into it and I have the scars to prove it on all my knuckles and forearms...LOL! I felt that if I get rid of the boat I am somehow losing the memory of that last project.

I did not know Capt Pat except for the occasional post when he answered one of my questions here and there and gave me his knowledge and advice like he knew me for years. The common respect on this forum is incredible and the willingness to share info and experience is unequaled anywhere.

Capt Pat knew the Bertram 31 was and is a special boat and for such a knowledgeable person to think so much of this model boat means something. He had knowledge that I will never be able to match in a dozen lifetimes and then seeing his loyal friends on here have such a passion for this kind of boat just makes me feel like I want to be a part of it.

Even though I didnt know the Capt really, I do know he was "Old School" and that is how I was brought up. I always spend a few extra minutes trying to listen and learn when I am fortunate to run into someone like that and they are willing to share.

I did mention Karma earlier,LOL....... you see Capt Pat died on a day that has special meaning to me, August 27th, the day Capt passed. August 27th happens to be my Fathers Birthday. To me that somehow means something and I believe Karma is at work. I need to move up and get a B31. I am going to do it for sure. I am going to do it for the both of them because that is my plan now. It might not be today or tomorrow but it will be in the near future. With this train of thought I believe in my heart it will be ok to sell the B28.

Keeping the tradition going is important for things that are important. Losing Vic, Walter, and now Pat has been a tremendous loss for this community, and I was saddened to hear of their passings bc they all chimed in here and there on my older posts.

Anyway, I am on the lookout and will be here and will reach out to the faithful to help me with friendly advice.

Frank Valerio
Massapequa Park, Long Island
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
John F.

Post by John F. »

That B31 has been for sale for a long time. The owner posted it on THT awhile ago. I haven't seen the boat, but from the pics I like what they did with the interior. I sort of copied some of it when I redid the interior on Crows Nest. If I were looking, it'd be at the top of my list to go see. The price was a lot higher before.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Frank

I know the Yanmar guys love them, but the price of parts is a killer and the Newer Yanmars just don't seem to have the Pizzaz the older ones had. With that said the 230 Yanmars I believe cruise around 22 to 23 knots, the 315's give you a cruise that is closer to 28 knots.

I have the 270 Cummins and can cruise between 23 to 25 knots. The 315 Cummins gets up to 28 knots. Them if you go new, the ball game changes. Jimmy G can tell you more about that as he has teh 370 QSB's.

If you really want to trick out a 31, then follow Bob Lilco;s directions for changing the shaft angle etc.

But remember one thing, it is a 30 foot boat, how often can you really cruise at 28 knots up here in the Northeast. I picked the 270 recon Cummins to save on maintenance and they were $10,000 cheaper than the Yanmars. The after cooler on the 270 is fresh water cooled and requires less maintenance. So there is more to think about than just HP. Think about your pocket book and maintenance requirements.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bsmart

Post by bsmart »

She was stored indoors at one of my clients in Nantucket a year ago or so---I took some good high res shots but need to find them --- PM me and if you want me to email them.
Carl

Post by Carl »

scenarioL113 wrote: I dont think the timing is right at the moment but if the deal of the century floats by me, I may have to piss my wife off and.....hehe...
Frank, your gonna piss her off one way or another...you might as well get a boat out of it...

scenarioL113 wrote: I said to myself that I would never sell my B28 because it was the last huge project I did with my father before his untimely death.

I felt that if I get rid of the boat I am somehow losing the memory of that last project.
My condolences...
If I might mention my thoughts on the subject and this is from too much experience...what I find important is the memories made together, in your case working on the boat. A boat is stuff and stuff comes and goes, but those memories will last you a lifetime.

Karma--not sure I believe in it as per say...but won't argue against especially when it is for a good cause...a 31 Bertram is a good cause. However...does sound like more then a coincidence. [/quote]
scenarioL113 wrote: Anyway, I am on the lookout and will be here and will reach out to the faithful to help me with friendly advice.
Hey, aside from reaching out, I have a good feeling with the projects under your belt you have lots of advice to offer the faithful.

Good luck on your journey for a 31. Lots more cockpit in a 31...cabin, not so much.

Carl
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Several thoughts/comments Frank:

Yanmar vs Cummins - owned older Cummins, and now have older Yanmars (4LH-STE 230hp) in our 31. Can't speak of new or newer Yanmars, but like these, and have heard good things about them. They top out at 3,400rpm, the boat does about 27kts. I like 2,300 and 18kts but adjust for sea conditions. At that speed she's up on plane, turbos are working, and she's using about 8gph for both engines.

28 vs 31. I've owned both - albeit the 28 I owned for about 5 years, and the 31 I've owned for about 5 months, and had in the water for about 2 months. I really liked the 28 and put it through some tough work, one trip going from Martha's Vineyard to Nantucket into the wind, opposing current, had to be some 8 footers. I went from the 28 to a 32' BHM Downeast Boat for a more solid ride and a bit more room, but sacrificed speed. Now in the 31, I have a made a few initial observations, but it's still new to me. I've put about 25 hours on it, and 3' seas with 25kt winds are about the worst we've been in. The 31 feels like driving what I think a fast tank would be in the military. It's heavy, low center of gravity, but gets up and moves when you need it. It's very stable - in the slip at the marina directly next to us is a 28 - 6 feet from our 31. When any type of waves come in, the 28 is rolling, while the 31 is barely moving.

I'd also compare gas in a 28 vs. diesel in a 31, but you already have diesels in your 28. If I had diesels in my 28, I might still have the 28. Your 28 might be heavier due to that, and have more of the stability, lower center of gravity that I believe the 31 has.

Size - you get a bit more beam, and a bit more length - a little more cockpit, but with the raised engine hatches, it's hard to notice any usable space difference. As Carl said, the cabin is very similar - different layout, perhaps a bit wider, but very similar.

Overall it's too soon for me to tell if our 31 is better, worse, or just different. Our 28 was near 100% pristine, and the 31 has a couple of off-seasons to get it that way, so my opinion may be a bit skewed right now. Incidentally the owner of the 28 next to ours has had that boat for almost 20 years, and keeps doing projects - some he's done 10 years ago, just to keep it up. I doubt he'd move to a 31 but rather keep his 28 going and in great shape.

Best of luck with your decision, just hoped to give you some perspective from owning both.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Frank V & Bob Norton,
The 31 Bertram is the best riding and most fishable boat for it's size, it will take you home when other boats have left hours before and you don't have to worry about following seas, the 31 might be a little moist when going into a head sea, but that's why they make foul weather gear.
I owned and fished a 31 Express for 37 years and chartered her for ten years, before charter insurance and regulations made it un-profitable. I've caught every type of fish from 1 pound flounder to 1020 pound Giant Blue Fin from her decks, she raised sailfish like no other boat I ever ran. she will spin in her own length, back down at 8 knots into the best and worst of sea conditions, I would stop fishing in seas that were 8 to 10 because the clients were getting sea sick and my knee couldn't take the side to side motion.

I've surveyed over 35- 31's since 2001 and found that there wasn't a 31 that I would not go offshore on (except one that I actually condemned after running onto the South jetty at Lake Worth Inlet in Palm Beach at 25 knots and sat grinding into the granite breakwater rocks for 3 days before being hauled out). Speed and ride of a 31 leave other similar size boats far astern. Gas or diesel is a matter of choice, gas boats are faster and burn more fuel, but if you don't like the smell of diesel coming into the cockpit when slow trolling with the wind coming from astern, gas is the way to go.
Frank you will not regret buying a 31, the 28 has a better cabin but the 31 has a better cockpit and that's where you spend the most time. I feel the ride of a 31 is more solid that a 28, the cockpit is not as far off the water , easier to gaff or wire a big fish. As for a cockpit door it should not bind against any other part of the boat and should not have any spider cracks around the hinge or latch side and at the cockpit sole. The 31 can be refurbished to look like a brand new boat even if it's 50 years old and can be powered with a countless named diesels or gas as long as they fit into the engine boxes. A pulpit is only good for sticking fish for a month in the summer and adds weight and stresses the bow and fore deck un- necessarily.
Bob you will get to love the way the boat single hands and ease of docking by your self. Make sure you keep you spring lines with you and the bow and stern lines on the dock or pilings and have 12' boat hook handy.
You can say I am prejudice toward a 31 but I've run everything from a 135' passenger ferry, owned a 20 and a 31 Bertram, run 25, 28, 33, 35, 38, 46 and 54 Bertram's. I was involved in building the old Jupiter 27 & 31 and the Legend 34. The sun never sets on the Bertram empire even though they aren't made any more, but It's like Uncle Vic said: It's the best damn boat ever built.
Pete Fallon
Marine Surveyor
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Frank

I understand your reasons for wanting to hang on to the 28. When I repowered my 31 everyone said get another boat.

But I have s lot of memories in my 31. I still remember the day my father and I picked her up t Nautical Yacht sales in Brielle. That was August 8th 1975. My father died in May of 94. A week before he died he sat in his car and watched me uncover her and start to get her ready for another season. He was hoping for one more trip. Never made it.

We fished the Canyons from 1976 until he could not do it any more. Yes a lot of memories so I understand how you feel.

You just have to do what is right for you. Absolutely nothing wrong with keeping the 28.

After all theses boats are all just a crazy love affair.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315