V-Berth Wall Glue Removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

V-Berth Wall Glue Removal

Post by JohnV8r »

Hey guys,

The carpet pad and fabric walls have been removed from Shambala's v-berth. What is the best way to remove the glue on the walls?

Thanks in advance!
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Dug

Re: V-Berth Wall Glue Removal

Post by Dug »

I hate to tell ya, there is no easy way...

Grinder, with lots of grinding wheels, as it will gum them up pretty quickly. Heat only makes it gooey, acetone does not touch it, so its just grunt work.

Wear a respirator, put on that Tyvek, open the windows and hatches and use a fan to give you fresh air. Keep the wrench handy that will help you change the sandpaper pads.

And have at it. Good luck.

Dug
scot

Post by scot »

The glue from hell strikes again!! Good luck.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Been there, done that; listen to Dug: wear a respirator (not just a dust mask)and ventilate!! One of the faithful ended up in the hospital after doing this grunt work a dozen years ago.
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Uuuggghh... What grit on the grinder pads, 24 or 36?
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Dug

Post by Dug »

Honestly, doesn't matter. They both goo up quickly. Just be patient and keep the grinder moving. Eventually it will wear away.
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

It was many years ago I did the moldy carpet removal. Tried the sanding, but seemed to just swirl it around and gum up the paper. Acetone did nothing, but as I recall, mineral spirits softened it up just enough that a 2 inch chisel could make large balls of goo that could be separated from the hull. That was just to get the large globs off, then back to 36 grit paper on random orbital paper, went thru 100 sheets for just one side. Be careful not to sand thru hull. after getting the large amounts out, I faired it with 3M fairing and just covered up what was left. I figured if it wasn't coming off, cover it. been 6 years and the gel coat I put over it still looks perfect. No way I was going to put carpet there again. I heard of some just covering it, but the clean smooth gel coated hull looks amazing on the inside, had to fill in the chine to make a perfectly smooth inside.

Yep the 3 hour job that took weeks and felt like years......
Scott Traenkle
Howesounder

Post by Howesounder »

Just in case yours is dryer, mine was very dry, and I had similar to above results....swirling goo etc. I used a simple Richards, paint scraper, and drew it down towards me. Maybe it was the cold winter weather?...not sure but I got 80% off easily this way. The rest was only in the voids, and for my purposes that was enough. (Carpet going back on) I even if not it took the bulk off well.

Steve
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
I did mine 4 years ago after being in the boat for 48 years. A lot came off with the foam backed material, but a lot was left in the woven rove weaving. I found that a large white bath towel soaked in Acetone then laid against the hull side held in place with shower curtain hooks from above. Let it soak for a half an hour or still moist then remove, it really softens the glue enough to remove with a scraper or putty knife, then a long handle brass bristle brush, no steel brushes , they leave rust in bilge.
MAKE SURE TO WEAR A FULL FACE MASK with FRESH AIR SUPPLY. I had access to 1 hour Scott Air Pack from the fire dept I worked for, I used 4 bottles to finish the job. The ACETONE WILL KILL YOU IF YOU DON"T HAVE A GOOD AIR SUPPLY.
I also used a fan to force air into the V berth from the hatch overhead and another to exhaust out of the cabin door, both fans had spark proof motors.
I tried Goof Off, MEK, Lacquer Thinner and Mineral sprits Nothing worked as good as the straight Acetone. Do not use steel wool because it rusts and makes a mess in the bilge. I Re-covered with white foam backed vinyl and 3M spray glue I got from the local marine canvas guy in Stuart. It has to be the worse job that I did on that boat in the 37 years that I owned her.
Just take it slow and use proper air supply and a full face mask.
Never again.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

As Pete indicates, there's no place on a boat for steel wool... Even it's unseen dust will cause rust marks!...

For anything that you want to use steel wool for on a boat use brass wool instead!...
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I nave been considering removing the mousefur in the forepeak on My boat.. Not sure if it will work but I have planned on using my Fein Multitool. I have removed formica with it using the flat blade. For those not familiar with the tool, it vibrates the blade back and forth about 2-3 degrees. Probably if you Google the name you will get a better idea how the tool works.

When I bought mine Fein was the only manufacturer, but today several companies make similar tools. If anyone tries this I would appreciate reading your comments here as I haven't started the job.. not yet on my priority list.`
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Frank

If I remember right, someone did use one a few years ago. I don't member who did it. I believe the glue was still an issue.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

When I pulled the "wallpaper" from my vberth I didn't have any glue left. Just green glass.

Did I get lucky, or is there not glue in the 25 models?
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Corey Mason wrote:Did I get lucky, or is there not glue in the 25 models?
I think the glue is limited to the boats that had the "furry" carpeting type of hull cover...
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Nav,
My 1961 Express had foam backed cloth wall paper with lots of glue left in the woven rove mat underneath. Worst job I had to do on my restoration I kept putting it off for years finally did it after owning her for 35 years.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61