Where to start?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Corey Mason

Where to start?

Post by Corey Mason »

Alright, so I've had about a month's time now to really think about my project b25. I have spent a lot of time learning about all the new marine electronics (which theres so much out there, I'm sure I'll never know it all). I"ve spent a lot of time thinking about seating layouts, creating extra storage (fix box, storage for safety equip, etc). I've thought about twin/single outboards, I've thought about tank sizes. I've thought about the flybridge and raising the height, etc etc etc etc etc.

The more I think about it, the more daunting of a task it seems to become. No way in hell am I scared to go through with it...It's just daunting in general.

As some of you that have taken on projects like this...would you mind giving me some advice on where to start?

I will be making the boat "like new" again. So fresh gelcoat/paint all around, new upholstery all around (even if its only refurbishing the original), new aluminum tanks. I will be rewiring with all new wires/electronics/and controls. I will also be raising the flybridge height and probably shifting it forward some (hopefully without killing the lines too badly). And I'll be turning the old motor box into a fish box.

Where would you guys suggest that I start? Im pretty sure the motor will probably be the last thing I'll put on due to saving money up to purchase one. Can I still run controls without knowing which make/model I'll be running? I think this is why I was thinking about going with the cosmetic stuff first is because I can afford to purchase all those supplies right now, and it will take me a long time to do that anyways.

What's your advice?
CamB25

Re: Where to start?

Post by CamB25 »

oh boy!

my .02:
1. strip out everything that is not bonded to the hull.
2. Inspect everything that remains for damage
3. Try to "finalize" your design. I think you are asking for trouble/major work modifying that flybridge.
4. Buy tools...you'll probably have to remove all finishes down to glass if your gel coat is crazed on the top sides.
5. Start grinding away... call me in a year when your done! Ha!

Don't buy anything that bolts onto the boat (including engine) until you have all the structural work done and the boat is in primer and faired. Exceptions might be the fuel tank (use one, not two), and the outboard bracket if you go that route.

In general, my advice is to keep it as stock as possible...custom is a hell of a lot of work and money! think about it. People will line up at your door top buy a fully restored B25. A custom one like mine is basically unsaleable.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

I agree with you on keeping it stock cam.

My father in law is the one that mentioned the flybridge being raised. He doesn't like that you can't put your legs under it (it basically hits him right in the knees even if he were to be sitting. If we were to modify the flybridge, that would at least be the only thing that we customized. Worst case scenario we buy another flybridge and slap it on haha. I am interested to see how its going to go since neither of us have fiberglass experience, and I can't measure worth a damn ha.

My gel coat is extremely crazed, especially in the lower helm area. I know Im in for a lot of sanding. Should I sand it down so that its flush and smooth, or just keep going until I see the green fiberglass?

I have a ton of tools (run a small autoshop side business out of my garage) but I am thinking about upgrading to a stronger sander than my dewalt orbital sander ha.

Ok, well, that gives me direction I can go to at least. I'll start with that stuff first, and then worry about how and what to bolt on. Thanks bud.

Question, how hard is it to remove the glass and hardtop? I know how to get the flybridge off, but what about the windows and hardtop? Just thinking if I removed all of that, the sanding would be a lot easier for access and it would also be easier to restore the window areas with it off too.
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

I moved the bridge seating as far aft as I could. Put a AZEK panel in to cover wiring etc. plenty of legroom. There are pics on my other posts.

My plan was to basically clean up the bridge, remove the windscreen and replace it with one that angles out. Removed but not replaced yet. Maybe I'll skip the replacement because it feels so open now. Painted the bridge.

I rewired over this past winter. Everything works now and I can trace every wire. Peace of mind.

Removed all the seating and bought bean bag chairs for this summer.

Replaced all the side panels with AZEK. Just use the originals as patterns. Done in an afternoon.

Will paint the rest of the outside, cabin top, bridge panels, foredeck and gunwales over the winter. While in the water next year I'll get to painting the interior.

CLEAN THE BILGE!!! Mine was a mess.

Do it in steps that allow you to use the boat each summer. I didn't want an expensive anchor in the driveway for years. ( sorry Cam. No disrespect meant. You're doing beautiful work!)
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Corey Mason wrote:My gel coat is extremely crazed, especially in the lower helm area. I know Im in for a lot of sanding. Should I sand it down so that its flush and smooth, or just keep going until I see the green fiberglass?
Until it's flush and smooth... The gelcoat is chemically bonded to the FRP underneath... It's not going to flake off...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:
Do it in steps that allow you to use the boat each summer. I didn't want an expensive anchor in the driveway for years. ( sorry Cam. No disrespect meant. You're doing beautiful work!)

To each his own....but for me what Joseph is saying is the way I have handled each of my projects.

Carl
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Not seeing your boat up close, so not sure of the level of gel coat crazing or if you're dealing with an old paint job.
If that is the case.
Find a reputable sandblaster and have'm go at the whole thing (hull, deck, cockpit, hardtop and bridge).
They can go real aggressive where it's bad and use a finer/gentler media on the areas that aren't so bad.
That will save you a huge amount of time and aggravation.
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Corey,

I thought you were taking about moving the entire flybridge up and forward, not just the top part.

You will be grinding, not sanding that gelcoat off...start with 36 grit. I like the sand/soda/walnut blast idea rather than grinding. Need to find someone that has experience with boats. That would be money well spent, I think. You could end up with a smooth clean surface ready to rebuild the finish layers, or a mess...need a skilled operator.

if the deck/sole is solid and you don't change the layout, you have a big head start.

Recently I have been removing the old Imron paint down to the original gel coat on my hull sides. I use my Festool RO125 with 40 grit Garnat paper and it cuts the paint pretty well. Once the paint is off I run over it with 80 grit on my air D/A. I've been lucky as the hullside gel coat is in very good shape - only a few cracks to grind and fill.

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Joseph Fikentscher

Eagles 17

Post by Eagles 17 »

Corey
I am with Joseph better to have a usable work in progress then a pretty piece of yard art.
Start with structural pull the legs repair the transom check stringers repair if needed and install fuel tank.
You need to figure out your power before controlls as most outboards have specific controls.
It is very easy to get off track and jump around on a project like this.
The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.
When I restored my 1965 sunbeam tiger I drove it in primer for 2 summers.
The tiger is still not finnished but the wife and I still have a lot of fun the way it is.
Bill
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

That's your boat Joseph? Oddly enough I cam across pictures of that boat a few weeks ago just on a google search, or another site or something. I saved all the pictures I could because it's pretty much how I planned to make my flybridge; especially the nice wooden console. I plan to put 2 captains chairs up there as well.

Im the kind of guy that likes to sit close up to things. I hate being back away from things. In my truck...I sit closer to the steering wheel than most, at a bar...Im close up to lean on the bar, etc etc. So I can't just scoot the chairs back. This means I need to be able to get "under" the flybridge...which would mean raising it.

Cam, I'm just referring to the actual flybridge as a whole; the entire section that sits on the hardtop. I think we're planning on shifting it forward about 5" and then somehow raising it while keeping the lines as close to the same angles.

I can honestly say I highly doubt I'll ever have the boat soda/sand blasted. I'd rather save the expense of that to put towards something for the boat. I have no problem working my butt off just to save a few bucks to put back into the boat...no matter how much extra work it may be.

I'm planning on a splash date of May 2017, so I'll be getting everything done in just a few months so I don't need to worry about keeping it functional or not. I don't think I'm going to need to do much in the way of cutting the decks or anything funky. I spent a good 20 minutes the other day upside down in all 3 of the hatches that I could with a flashlight checking out all the stringers. From the parts that I could see, not a single bit of worry. So that helps me a lot from a time perspective.

That's good advice about the controls though. I was wondering about that. I wasn't sure if I could just get generic controls or not. So I think my plan is to get the boat structurally and cosmetically finished, then buy the motor, and then the bracket and controls. And somewhere in there also the electronics.

Was able to speak with captbone a good bit yesterday and he cleared a plethora of things up for me. I'm more than stoked to get moving on this thing. This coming weekend I plan on pulling the boat up to the house and pressure wash it, cleaning it really well, and checking to make sure she drains well and everything. And from there I think I'm going to remove the flybridge and possibly the hardtop/windows just to make it easier to sand.

Here are some pictures of the gelcoat I was talking about. I've never seen an example of "crazed gelcoat" but I can only imagine this is what you're referring to. In the main helm area is where it is the worse. Most other places on the boat are smooth still. While I was there I think I found my first deckhand, Jesse James!

Joseph Fikentscher

Good looking dog!!

I don't have any of the gel coat crazing, although my interior seems to have been painted before.

Eagles 17

Post by Eagles 17 »

The crazing almost looks like a tecture job gone bad I have never seen crazing like that, usually from impact,flexing or stress points.
Jesse looks happy to be on board.