Replacement Intake Manifolds

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Replacement Intake Manifolds

Post by JohnV8r »

Guys,

Where should I go to buy replacement intake manifolds for '78 Mercruiser big blocks for Shambala?

Thanks in advance.

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Navatech

Re: Replacement Intake Manifolds

Post by Navatech »

JohnV8r wrote:Where should I go to buy replacement intake manifolds for '78 Mercruiser big blocks for Shambala?
What's wrong with the current ones?!... Intake manifolds usually last the lifetime of the engine...
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

I have a lot of surface rust and pitting on the existing intake manifolds. They are a mess. If the issue is as simple as hitting it with a wire wheel and repainting it, I'll do that. However, the heads are coming off and I don't want to put anything that is a problem back on. If I'm better off replacing them, I want to do it now.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

JohnV8r wrote:I have a lot of surface rust and pitting on the existing intake manifolds. They are a mess. If the issue is as simple as hitting it with a wire wheel and repainting it, I'll do that. However, the heads are coming off and I don't want to put anything that is a problem back on. If I'm better off replacing them, I want to do it now.
The real question is how do the head faces look like... If these faces are good a wire wheel (don't forget the safety glasses/mask) and repainting them might be all that's required... I suggest you post some pictures...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Take em to a machine shop and have them bead blasted. Its cheap vs trying to clean with a wire brush. I wouldn't buy new. theres enough old stuff around yards and shops next to nothing
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Perfect! Will do.

Thanks